New enclosure ready

Vic

Just waiting to add some leaf litter and some thin twigs/branch’s

Attachments

• 96825008-8262-4D65-8255-475F084B0F4A.jpeg
    96825008-8262-4D65-8255-475F084B0F4A.jpeg
    258.5 KB · Views: 336
It’s 60cm

How many pygmies would live in this? IMHO it isn't large enough for more than 1 and that is pushing it. The shape of the space is a lot of the problem...much of it isn't really "available" for perching or moving around in response to temperature, humidity, misting, or hunting food. A rectangular terrarium of similar dimensions would offer a lot more usable territory. I'd also be concerned about the lack of air exchange. Again, the shape of the globe limits that a lot. This is my opinion...I always err on the side of making a habitat too large rather than too small. The residents usually benefit and stay healthier.

Thanks for the advise all the research I done suggested 12x12x18” would be suitable for 2/3 . Measuring the orb it’s 26” I have added far more branches so the upper area is more usable. Air isn’t a problem as it has a built in fan and fogger in the top of the lid. I will however keep a close eye on these guys, this is my first Pygmy pair and there is very little information available .

Hopefully your research included the pygmy caresheet posted under this forum's Resources tab. Probably about the best husbandry info available for these little guys. IMHO if I was keeping my first ones I'd be conservative...and provide more space per individual rather than less. At least have another setup ready to go just in case one of yours starts to decline. It can happen fast. By the time a problem is obvious the cham is in serious trouble. You won't know much of anything about your new arrivals including their ages (unless you are lucky enough to buy them from the person who can prove they hatched them). They only live for a couple of years at best. Always best to plan ahead and have a safe retreat available for one that isn't tolerating cramped quarters well.

Last edited:
Yes I have I have kept veiled chams before also have tree frog darts and snakes so wanted to try something new despite keep saying no more pets

I tend to think people underestimate the amount of space pygmies like to have. While you can keep them in a smaller enclosure than average, that doesn't mean it's good for them.

I have a pair of B. stumpffi in an 18x18x24" exoterra and they crawl around all over the place. Even with just the two, I think they'd jump at the opportunity for more real estate

It seems more like a fish bowl. So small and for two of them? While this is not my area of knowledge... Do they not require UVB lighting? if they do then how do they get it in that?

It seems more like a fish bowl. So small and for two of them? While this is not my area of knowledge... Do they not require UVB lighting? if they do then how do they get it in that?

There seems to be some debate as to how much UV exposure they require. Obviously they are understory residents so little direct sunlight penetrates down that far. The couple of articles I've read suggest at least a ReptiSun 2.0 on the usual 12 hour on/12 hour off schedule. Better to provide it than risk problems with MBD/calcium metabolism. That's one of the concerns with the globe-shaped enclosure...they would get very little exposure. OP I also suspect this setup is also going to be hard to adjust and maintain as well.

There seems to be some debate as to how much UV exposure they require. Obviously they are understory residents so little direct sunlight penetrates down that far. The couple of articles I've read suggest at least a ReptiSun 2.0 on the usual 12 hour on/12 hour off schedule. Better to provide it than risk problems with MBD/calcium metabolism. That's one of the concerns with the globe-shaped enclosure...they would get very little exposure. OP I also suspect this setup is also going to be hard to adjust and maintain as well.
Thank you... I thought they would have to have something... Your so knowledgeable. I really enjoy learning from your posts. :)

The lid also has uvb lighting it’s set so that lights turn on for 10 hours with 1 hour sunrise and sunset, the humity is set at 75% and the fogger will kick in if it drops below and I’m not in I’m spraying twice a day as well. The picture does make it look small but it is much bigger in person. Both are feeding well is a little shyer than the other so tends to hide amongst the plants.

Back
Top Bottom