New Enclosure for Mr. Wilson

DBDEAN

Okay - I have a new enclosure coming for Mr. Wilson (veiled male chameleon - 1 year in age).

I am moving him from the 24” x 18” x 24” Exo-Terra Glass Terrarium (with mesh top and vents on the bottom to allow for air flow to a Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Open Air Aluminum Screen Cage X-Large 24" x 24" x 48". My concern is that I was able to easily maintain humidity in the glass terrarium with misting twice a day (before work at when I get home) with the glass terrarium. I was also able to maintain heat levels easily with 90 at basking spot and 75 at bottom - our house is normally around 68 degrees day or night.

How will I maintain these things with a screened environment?

His MBD is getting way better - his casque is less crumpled looking and appears to be filling out. He doesnt look super skinny any more - with regular bowel movements and a nice little round belly. He is still an @ss - he wont let me look at him and hides if he catches me.

I bought a biobubble drinking fountain for him - I like it because its not a water fountain that they will use to go to the bathroom in. Its enclosed and trickles out water over fake leaves and then water drips into resevoir that has a filter system and recycles it to the top. SO far he seems okay with it - thought i havent seen him drinking from it - I do see him hanging out near it...but I never seen him eat either - the food is there and then its not and he has white calcium dust on his face...''any advice for setting up new enclosure?

You can use corex or foamex, whichever is available in America.

Corex is a plastic sheet that has hollow channels and foamex is compressed PVC plastic board.

Use either of those to cover 2 or 3 sides of the screen cage.

I thought open air flow was good for them - part of the reason I am moving from a 2 foot tall glass cage to a 4 ft tall screened cage.

your temps should not change that much in the screen enclosure.. if it does you can just up the watts a little in your lamp to maintain the temps you want.. the humidity can be maintained easily with live plants in the enclosure.. and/or up your misting times to say 3-4 a day... and you are correct in the open air flow issue... the better the air flow the better.. so its better to keep up the same environment without closing off the sides...
the only advise I would offer is the more climbing branches and greenery the better... if he still hides from you at this point the more hiding places for him the better... but im sure that the healthier he gets the less he'll run from you... just be patient...
there has been some discussion on the dripping leaves thing.. some say its good some say bad.. all I can say is keep an eye on the water... even though it is circulating.. and even through a filter...it can still develop bacteria.. it would almost be a benefit for you to invest in an automatic misting system that would keep up the humidity as well as give him plenty of water for drinking... mine runs 4 times a day for 2min.. keeps the humidity range 20-65... and gives enough water for drinking at the same time..

Back
Top Bottom