New enclosure finally finished!!

ramhemi55

Well its been 3 weeks of hard work, but its finally done. lot of sweat and blood into this one. its 2.5 feet by 2.5 feet. 6 ft tall, fully screened except for plexi glass in the front behind the door. Post more pics soon. any suggestions are much needed!!

Attachments

• cage pic.jpg
    cage pic.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 213
thank you! turned out a lot better than i thought. the door was tricky, but i think it works great. and leonidus (my cham) seems to like it too

Very nice, did you use stain to get the wood to look like that or did you actually burn it?

A couple of notes on your door:
First, you want to have the door go all the way to the top of the cage. If you don't want a 6ft tall door then keep it like you have it just with the door up to the top and the space that doesn't open at the bottom. Having it the way you have it now will obstruct your view of the cham.

Second, and for future reference (no need to change it now) next time you build a cage the door doesn't have to have those metal braces on the corners. Cutting your door joints at 45 degree angles and screwing them together is plenty strong enough.

Very nice, did you use stain to get the wood to look like that or did you actually burn it?

A couple of notes on your door:
First, you want to have the door go all the way to the top of the cage. If you don't want a 6ft tall door then keep it like you have it just with the door up to the top and the space that doesn't open at the bottom. Having it the way you have it now will obstruct your view of the cham.

Second, and for future reference (no need to change it now) next time you build a cage the door doesn't have to have those metal braces on the corners. Cutting your door joints at 45 degree angles and screwing them together is plenty strong enough.

yeah the wood is actually burned with a torch. did it for a couple reasons,
1:kills off any mold or bacteria
2: does a pretty decent job sealing it
3: just looks great!

Burning wood seals it? I'm pretty sure it doesn't. You still need to put some sort of sealer on it. I like polyurethane clear coat. The fumes on this stuff are pretty bad so wear a gas mask/breather of some sort wile spaying it. Also let it sit for at least a week before putting a cham in there.

If you don't seal it the water (chams need lots of it) will eventually cause warpage in the boards, and possible bacteria growth from the wood constantly absorbing water.

Back
Top Bottom