New Enclosure Build Design

Veiled Lady

The reptibreeze enclosures are ok but I personally dislike them. The starter enclosure that I have (1.5x1.5x3) is starting to sit lopsided from, what I can only guess is, the weight of the lights on top, the small flukers vines hung from the sides, and the plants sitting in the bottom. It is not sturdy enough to withhold any mods in order to hang plants from the sides so I am stuck using fake vines for coverage. On the other hand, I can not afford to purchase a DS or ZH. So I decided to build my own. Lady is still rather small so I have some time to plan it out well.

These are my build "blueprints". I welcome any advice or suggestions so that I can do it right the first time. The first picture is Lady's current digs. The second is my design. The third is of my beautiful Lady (just because 😉).

Attachments

• 20220129_163000_HDR.jpg
    20220129_163000_HDR.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20220129_151941_01.jpg
    IMG_20220129_151941_01.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20220128_213906.jpg
    IMG_20220128_213906.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 124
That is the only thing I like also. I am making due for now but becoming impatient with the build. Probably going to start it next weekend so that I can get this reptibreeze disassembled soon.

2x2 seems fairly standard and you've already got the screens for it.
Via your plan, why not make the top portion of the cage a frame based around the ZooMed?
It's flimsy, but the screens are OK and the frame is a good starting template.
I'd incorporate the screens you have (and probably the full cage) into the redesign.
If you were to just build the portion below the brown line, remove the bottom of the ZooMed and place it on top of that base, then build some upright supports you'd probably save a ton of time and money.

2x2 seems fairly standard and ypu've already got the screens for it.
Via your plan, why not make the top portion of the cage a frame based around the ZooMed?
It's flimsy, but the screens are OK and the frame is a good starting template.
I'd incorporate the screens you have (and probably the full cage) into the redesign.
Didn't think about incorporating the current cage in with the new build. I will have to rethink my plan. Thanks for the input.

The reptibreeze enclosures are ok but I personally dislike them. The starter enclosure that I have (1.5x1.5x3) is starting to sit lopsided from, what I can only guess is, the weight of the lights on top, the small flukers vines hung from the sides, and the plants sitting in the bottom. It is not sturdy enough to withhold any mods in order to hang plants from the sides so I am stuck using fake vines for coverage. On the other hand, I can not afford to purchase a DS or ZH. So I decided to build my own. Lady is still rather small so I have some time to plan it out well.
This is going to be pretty much the case for any of the commercial all-screen enclosures made from window screen frames, including DS.

These are my build "blueprints". I welcome any advice or suggestions so that I can do it right the first time. The first picture is Lady's current digs. The second is my design. The third is of my beautiful Lady (just because 😉).
Your plan (IMO as a designer) could use a little refinement, like what kind of joints you'll use at the corners, and in which orientation (voice of experience/school of many foul-ups 😔). This could have an effect on whether or not additional corner reinforcement (for rigidity) will be necessary, and save a lot of frustration/heartache.

Curious why you're building the frame out of 1x2s, but the "ledges" are 1x3s?
Curious why the frame 1x2 but the door(s) are 2x2?
Also curious why you're going all-screen instead of hybrid.
1x3 ledges on top but 1x2 ledges on the bottom?

Basically, the more detail—the better. ;)

Back
Top Bottom