New Chameleon!

ReptileGirl111

Hey guys! I just got home with my new baby veiled chameleon! He is about 3in. including his long tail. I got everything he needs(cage,calcium powders,food,lighting etc.) EVERYTHING for only $200!!! I even got a living ficus tree with a vine for him which was included in the $200!!

P.S. If anyone has a cool name, please let me know! Hes still nameless :p

-Aimee

hey if he has a pretty long tail for a little guy name him "Longtail" unless you want like a person's name such as Mike...
I always thought Spike is a cool name for a herp

yea naming is always the fun part. i for one like rap music so i name all my animals after rappers, :D. my first chameleons name was chamillionaire and my new chameleons name is lil jon, lol

I do have one question that I want to clear up, On there feet are they suppose to have two or three little toes? or does it vary?

you should name him what fits him once you see his personality .You
figure it out and it will be perfect.Have fun, I just got a girl Veiled and I
named her Camille after Bill Cosby's wife ....hehe.I also call her Monkey
cause she'll hang from her tail to eat.

Chameleons are zygodactyl, meaning each foot has five toes, three on the inside and two on the outside.

Yeah I just got the cage set up like an hour ago, and hes already hanging on the top of the cage but inside, I love him already:p He keeps putting his tail through the screen in the cage to hang on lol
With the lighting are the smart enough to move out of the way if they get too hot? because hes right under the basking light

no, be careful and make sure the heat underneath doesn't get close enough
to burn,I take a thermometer and place it under the lights at different heights.I'm sure the experts will chime end fast to help you.for now
make sure your cham cant reach the lite.

Yes please measure the temp on the basking spot from the branch/vine/etc he is going to beon while under the light, should be like 95 for a baby, when anadult i heard they can go to 110. I got my baby panther and i saw an older sibling, he is a red body blue barred panther and since im assuming thats how he will come out lol i named him optimus from transformers lol.

Should be more like 85 for a baby that small-don't melt him-they do not know how to regulate temps as little babies.

Your basking light needs to be raised a few inches over the top of the enclosure.
They will burn themselves if the light is just setting on the top.

-Brad

hang the light from something or find two bricks ,cover them with foil
and sit your light up on them like legs or SOMETHING, ya know:)

that's to complicated! lol He is a crazy chameleon. I went to put my hand in the cage to hang a vine up and he started running away. Is there a slow way thats good to get him used to people?

You need to either hang the light 6 inches or so over the cage or (as also suggested) raise it up on blocks of some sort on top of the cage.
There are also clamps (your light fixture may have come with one) that allow you to mount the light some distance from the top.
I'm not sure if you were joking about this being too complicated, but regardless it is absolutely necessary.
Did you obtain a digital thermometer with a probe for the basking area?
This is also an essential item for a young chameleon who is very bad at thermoregulation.
95 degrees is too hot ....85 is the hottest I would go as previously suggested.

-Brad

Yeah, the basking light(the hotter one) has a clamp so i can always just clamp it on. Um any names for him:?? he still has no name!!:p

Ok, He has a name now. His name is Kaleidoscope "Scope" for short :)
Because he changes colors. One more question is that are they supposed to be very very active? because Scope is crazy, hes gone back and forth in his cage like 20 times!!

Back
Top Bottom