New Chameleon

abickford

Wondering if someone can help me identify what the gender of our chameleon is. Also, approximately the age as well? I posted several different photos to help!

Also, he seems to be okay with being held. How often and how long is it okay to handle them?

Attachments

• 11D220B5-CDE4-427E-85F1-D4EB44A1296E.jpeg
    11D220B5-CDE4-427E-85F1-D4EB44A1296E.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 108
  • EAA35E9C-CDF2-4159-8BEB-E26412B5FE41.jpeg
    EAA35E9C-CDF2-4159-8BEB-E26412B5FE41.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 104
  • E3CBFC25-5746-4ABF-BCA4-CD0FE3EDB7A0.jpeg
    E3CBFC25-5746-4ABF-BCA4-CD0FE3EDB7A0.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 98
  • 527F4F0E-9871-4012-B041-356539AE2224.jpeg
    527F4F0E-9871-4012-B041-356539AE2224.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 96
Wondering if someone can help me identify what the gender of our chameleon is. Also, approximately the age as well? I posted several different photos to help!

Also, he seems to be okay with being held. How often and how long is it okay to handle them?
More pics of back of your it's feet please also have you gotten your husbandry checked?

That's a really tiny baby. I would not hold them too much. They might not "mind" because they are so small they'll view everything as a predator. Let them adjust and grow. From how sunk in the eyes are in the last photo the the Cham is either dehydrated or scared. Super cute, just be sure to give it the right size feeders and plenty of water. It'll need pretty small feeders for now.

Hi and welcome! Small babies like that shouldn’t be held at all right now. It can stress them out too much. Just let it be for now. Might be a good idea to do a husbandry review just because there’s a lot of bad information out there as well as the fact that pet stores give bad information a lot of the times when they’re trying to sell you a chameleon. We would like to help you with anything we can to give this little one a great life!

Are you free ranging the crickets? Baby looks like he may have some bites from crickets in a couple of your photos. Make sure to remove any uneaten crickets before lights out or they will feed on your chameleon.

You're better off with a male for a first chameleon IMHO because you don't have the reproductive issues to deal with that you could have with a female.

I would advise you to get rid of the moss in the cage and the fake plants since it's a veiled chameleon and they munch on plants, etc.

If you post photos of the cage and answer the questions in this thread we can check your husbandry...
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/

Are you free ranging the crickets? Baby looks like he may have some bites from crickets in a couple of your photos. Make sure to remove any uneaten crickets before lights out or they will feed on your chameleon.
Is there a better way to feed him then allowing them to free range?

Yes, you can use a bird seed cup or a feeder cup that you can put crickets in and your Cham will go to it to eat or you can use something like a feeder run. It’s okay to free range feed but just make sure to remove all uneaten crickets from the cage before lights out or leave a piece of carrot in the bottom of the cage so the crickets eat it and not your chameleon because they will bite your Cham.

There are some options - cup feeding or buying a shooting gallery. Free ranging feeders can be stimulating because they will have to hunt for their food, but the downside is you don't know for sure how much they're eating and the chameleon could ingest moss or dirt, etc along with the insect. If you keep free ranging you'll need to keep food in the cage for the crickets or else they'll keep biting the chameleon. You'll want to remove the moss regardless but it's extra risky with free ranging feeders.

Back
Top Bottom