New chameleon

Auriana713

I just got a Jackson chameleon two days ago and the guy we bought him from kind of pushed us into buying him and I wasn’t quite prepared so if you have any advice that might help on general care and anything really it would be such a help.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
I just got a jackson chameleon and would like some advice and help because I’m not sure if I’m doing everything right. I was told that he was a rainbow Jackson chameleon, hes a juvenile but I don’t know how old he is and I’ve had him for two days. Since he was recently moved I haven’t handled him and don’t want to even try to until he’s used to his new enclosure unless I need to. I’m feeding him crickets which are eating apples. I dust the crickets with calcium powder every other day and so far have been dusting them with the reptivite reptile vitamins everyday. I mist his enclosure 3 times a day making sure all the plants are wet and I put 2 drops of water conditioner in the water for each cup. The cage I’m using is a screen one that’s 16” x 16” x 30”. The lights I’m using are the mini combo deep dome lamp fixture with a red heating light which I keep on all the time and a UVB light I turn off at night. Inside of the enclosure I have a large Dracaena, an ivy plant and one more little tree witch I think is a dracaena marginata that was recommended to me by another chameleon owner. My cage is in my room on a dresser quite high off the ground and I always have the rooms fan on. And I live in Las Vegas

Attachments

• 5ED5F284-6D01-47DD-A40E-E0F00F46B4EA.jpeg
    5ED5F284-6D01-47DD-A40E-E0F00F46B4EA.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 86
Jacksons chameleons are a mountain species and benefit from cold, humid nights. Please have no heat at night.
Please get rid of the red light and get a white incandescent light. Get a household incandescent bulb instead.
Now as for UVB you need a t5 HO linear uvb bulb. If you got the dual dome at petco or petsmart you can probably return it.

2 drops of water conditioner in the water for each cup.
That sounds like too much... look on the bottle for the ratio of conditioner to water to make sure.
I’m feeding him crickets which are eating apples
You need more than just apples, a variety of from the form below:
53CE8B8B-F712-4C55-8CF8-23F4DCA24972.jpeg

First thing stop using the multivitamins daily. They should only be used once a month and there are better brands out there. Use plain calcium without phosphorus and without D3 lightly 3 days a week. You can mix in bee pollen powder if you want. Once a month give calcium with D3 lightly and two weeks later give a multivitamin.
No lights at night at all no extra heat is necessary at night unless your room goes below 50 F at night. Your basking should stay below 82 F until he is mature and then can go to 85 F but no higher. The rest of his cage should stay around 72 F day time and in the 60's at night.
I suspect your lights will need to be upgraded in the near future to T5 linear bulbs those domes don't provide enough UVB and you will soon want a larger cage. If you have a male you will want a 18x18x36 to give him room to roam and to better control your temperatures and humidity. In your area proper humidity is going to be a problem but wrapping the sides and back with plastic can help hold some in along with your misting and live plants. Shower curtain is an inexpensive solution.
I can help with more specific information if you want it.

It looks like you might have a male but to be sure I would need to see a picture taken from the side with the tail sticking out straight behind. No rush let him/her settle in for now.

Jacksons chameleons are a mountain species and benefit from cold, humid nights. Please have no heat at night.
Please get rid of the red light and get a white incandescent light. Get a household incandescent bulb instead.
Now as for UVB you need a t5 HO linear uvb bulb. If you got the dual dome at petco or petsmart you can probably return it.

That sounds like too much... look on the bottle for the ratio of conditioner to water to make sure.

You need more than just apples, a variety of from the form below:
View attachment 279122
Thank you this is a big help ??

Looks like a healthy cham. Just out of curiosity, why the glove? Is he super aggressive and bites? The only time I needed a glove to handle a cham, was with a SUPER grumpy veiled that would jump on, and bite, my hand if it EVER entered his territory.

Looks like a healthy cham. Just out of curiosity, why the glove? Is he super aggressive and bites? The only time I needed a glove to handle a cham, was with a SUPER grumpy veiled that would jump on, and bite, my hand if it EVER entered his territory.
No he’s not aggressive at all it was just my first time handling him so I was taking precautions because i wasn’t sure how he would react at the time

That looks like a boy.
Jackson's don't usually bite but I would never say never. Mine hiss at me now and then and put on a pretty good show. Then they see i have food and get over it.

Back
Top Bottom