new chameleon

Welcome to the forum. Please take the time to fill out the "Request for help form". This will help members get an idea of how to improve your husbandry, supplements, and other areas of chameleon care where you need help.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - i am 90% sure he is a male veiled chameleon i got him 4 weeks ago, at the pets store they told me he is 3 months old.
Handling - sinds i got him i handeld him poorty because he was very scared and hides, so lets say 1x a week.
Feeding - He is now eating house crickets and mealworms, i give him about 6-10 crickets (size 6) dusted with Sticky Tongue Farms calcium and 2 mealworms everyday.
Supplements - Calcium Sticky Toungue Farms
Watering - I spray his terrarium 2/3 times a day with a hand spray.
History - I know the guy who sold the chameleon to the pets store and the pets store owners. I know he is a home breeder and not a huge like breeding farm thing.
Cage Info: Reptibreeze 40x40x100(cm) its a screen cage, i have a Arcadia 23 watt day light lamp 7% UVB and a Arcadia basking light 100 watt (his basking spot is arround 30-32 °C, my lighting schedule is a bit of but i do my best to start at 9-10am and turn it off at 9-10pm‎. my temerature in my room is usually arround 20°C‎ my humidity is arround 40-60% i live in the Netherlands so the temperature is pretty hard to keep it arround 20°C‎ but the humidity is ~50% all the time. my terrarium looks pretty boring but im going to fix that soon after i finish my exams.
i hope this is enough info

I dont really need to add anything else since you have enough responses. But please get a solarmeter and measure your uvb. I really dont like seeing people use deep domes with out a solarmeter. Either you're not getting enough uvb, which is more common, or your giving to much, which it sounds like is what's happening in your case. Also keep in my the high reflectivity of the deep dome can be over kill on the heat. I'd personally love to see deep domes gone, but they do have their uses. Linear t5 HO uvb is just too good and too safe to not just stick with it.

yeah i will fix my lights afap. i see that you have a veiled chameleon so i think that you could answer my last question for today. Is it normal that he is very shy and hides when i get near the cage? and will he get more conforable with age?
This is very normal behavior. You have to remember that their natural instinct is to avoid larger predators that can harm them. They view us in this manor. While you can build trust with them it is a slow gradual process. Some will calm down and trust their large human servants while others will always be more of a look at me only animal. You can read through the blog I did on trust building. It is a very important aspect for us to be able to have this with them so we as their keepers can keep their cage clean, take them to the vet, and take them out for natural sun all with as little stress to the Cham. The only way to have this interaction is for them to learn that you will not hurt them. But it is always within their limits only. Here is the link https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/building-trust-with-your-chameleon.2396/

Back
Top Bottom