New Chameleon!!!

When your reptirain stops working (which I honestly hope it doesn't) but I have gone through three in a year before I just bit the bullet and bought a mist king. Definitely look into a mistking or climist. You will never be sorry for the money you spent. It's a little odd he's not eating more. But it's very likely he's just settling in and will be eating you out of house and home soon. I would definitely not go over 90 degrees even when he's older.
I hope the Reptirain doesn't give out on me 3: I will keep the Mistking in mind if it does happen. I offer him 5 crickets every time I cup feed him, he usually picks 2 maybe 3 and then loses interest.

I would recommend getting rid of the night light as another member stated. If you are really worried about it getting too cold at night use a ceramic bulb that emits heat but no light.

Also, not sure if you are doing this or not but use some fruits and veggies to gut load the crickets.
There are many forums on here on what is safe and healthy to gut load your crickets with.
I may get rid of the light, my room is not that cold. Is the Flucker's not good for gut loading the crickets? On that subject, can I feed Alduin fruits and vegetables?

Flukers is a very poor gutload. It gives hydration and calcium but that is all. For chameleons a variety of vitamins and minerals is what's best. You can try to feed Alduin fruits and veg but my male veileds have never eaten them (I make a guess from reading about others that about half of them will take some).
The most important things after the basics are gutloading and variety of insects.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Since nobody got it yet - Kelsingra is from realm of the elderlings, and Alduin the world eater is from Skyrim :)
I love having my own little dragons too lol.

How are you handling air flow? Your enclosure looks great, but pretty well sealed up. Stagnant air can't be good for your Cham. I'm also curious how those who use wood as a building material prevent wood from rotting due to the moisture requirements they are challenged with.

I like the name "Noname". Perhaps since you've been calling him that you should keep a similar name based on this. Perhaps "Nonum" (no-num) or "Noum" (no-um)??

Your baby is awesome. Veiled's will always be special to me. My first was a veiled. (RIP little buddy)

I picked up the hydroballs because I was nervous about maintaining the humidity. An employee at a pet store convinced me to buy them. Aludin rarely goes to the bottom but I do like the idea of more plants.

They can shoot at prey at the bottom and pick up small hydroballs or pieces of them. My first veil came to me pooping bark and stone for two weeks. If you are worried about humidity, why don't you either put a lot of potted plants at the bottom or even make a substrate tray and plant the tray. Use topsoil with no perlite (the tiny white air-filled stones) and pack the top with coco fiber. Don't use bark. I've heard that sometimes babies shoot and eat the little white perlite specks.

I hope the Reptirain doesn't give out on me 3: I will keep the Mistking in mind if it does happen. I offer him 5 crickets every time I cup feed him, he usually picks 2 maybe 3 and then loses interest.

That's not enough for a baby. I throw in about 20 crickets for babies, more if they are in a big cage.

I may get rid of the light, my room is not that cold. Is the Flucker's not good for gut loading the crickets? On that subject, can I feed Alduin fruits and vegetables?

The night light disrupts their sleep, that's why no light is recommended. Also I the 100 watt is enough there is no need for the strip light as well. One heat bulb and one uvb bulb is fine. The 100 watt might even be too hot.

As far as the wood be careful. I have my setup in an old wooden bookshelf and I've found under the cage started molding once. I had newspaper and a towel but due to the misting and moisture build up it created mold. I've put tarp under to collect the water and prevent it from getting wet.

Here is a thread I came across about a guy who feeds his veiled fruit. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/food-chart.156350/#post-1337758

There is others as well just gotta dig for em.

Night heat is usually unnecessary when they are kept indoors with humans. Veileds do fine when it drops to 50 degrees and then have a good warm up the next day. It's very beneficial for them to have at least a 10 degree drop in temps over night. Make sure you know that these are Farehnheit temps. Just in case XD

Hello!
I have recently adopted a new friend and I can use some tips and opinions.
I will start with the fact that I do not know if it is a boy or a girl. If someone can tell me so I can finally give him/her a name I would really appreciate it. I have been calling it Noname.
I would also like some opinions about the habitat I made for Noname. I already noticed that there are some problems with it that I will have to fix, I want to make sure that this will be comfortable for.

Where did you get the centre piece from???
17021734_1433261143361093_1458248354448764570_n.jpg
16939250_1433261136694427_8280003231135024473_n.jpg
16996518_1424711660882708_7590261623413792335_n.jpg

Flukers is a very poor gutload. It gives hydration and calcium but that is all. For chameleons a variety of vitamins and minerals is what's best. You can try to feed Alduin fruits and veg but my male veileds have never eaten them (I make a guess from reading about others that about half of them will take some).
The most important things after the basics are gutloading and variety of insects.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/food/

Since nobody got it yet - Kelsingra is from realm of the elderlings, and Alduin the world eater is from Skyrim :)
I love having my own little dragons too lol.
So glad you got Kelingra! I love that series. After researching it does seem like Flucker's is a poor feeding method for the crickets. I will change their food soon, thank you.

How are you handling air flow? Your enclosure looks great, but pretty well sealed up. Stagnant air can't be good for your Cham. I'm also curious how those who use wood as a building material prevent wood from rotting due to the moisture requirements they are challenged with.

I like the name "Noname". Perhaps since you've been calling him that you should keep a similar name based on this. Perhaps "Nonum" (no-num) or "Noum" (no-um)??

Your baby is awesome. Veiled's will always be special to me. My first was a veiled. (RIP little buddy)
I treated the wood with several waterproof coating, it still needs some adjusting but it works pretty well. I have the vent on top of the cage and a mesh strip on the side for airflow. I love this little guy :] (RIP little dood 3: )

That's not enough for a baby. I throw in about 20 crickets for babies, more if they are in a big cage.
The problem is the cage is chameleon proof but not cricket proof. The first time I fed him I released 20 small crickets in his habitat, he ate 3 and the rest climbed out. I even found some in my laundry room downstairs! Because of this is why I went to cup feeding, also to try to get him more use to me.

The night light disrupts their sleep, that's why no light is recommended. Also I the 100 watt is enough there is no need for the strip light as well. One heat bulb and one uvb bulb is fine. The 100 watt might even be too hot.

As far as the wood be careful. I have my setup in an old wooden bookshelf and I've found under the cage started molding once. I had newspaper and a towel but due to the misting and moisture build up it created mold. I've put tarp under to collect the water and prevent it from getting wet.

Here is a thread I came across about a guy who feeds his veiled fruit. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/food-chart.156350/#post-1337758

There is others as well just gotta dig for em.
I am having the same problem with the water, I did the same thing with trapping the water. I think you and others are right with it being too hot, I have made adjustments to Alduin's lighting. Thank you for the link!

Night heat is usually unnecessary when they are kept indoors with humans. Veileds do fine when it drops to 50 degrees and then have a good warm up the next day. It's very beneficial for them to have at least a 10 degree drop in temps over night. Make sure you know that these are Farehnheit temps. Just in case XD
Celsius! Damn! haha
I will adjust his lighting for the nights, thank you for your advice as well as others.

The habitat is made form an old ottoman, or are you talking about the Treebeard base?? Got that at Petsmart.

Back
Top Bottom