New Chameleon!

tomo316

Hi, after some careful consideration I have purchased my first chameleon from someone who could no longer give him the full attention he deserved.
He is a 2 year old male Veiled, quiet a big boy with some stunning markings.

I have done a lot or research however if anyone could give me some insight into some of his behaviours that I have noticed the last couple of days that would be awsome.

Feeding- previous owner was gutloading live feed and just throwing into his viv. I know this has good and bad points but when collecting him there were a few crickets in his viv and although he has eaten some I was hoping he would have had a few more, I know gutloading only lasts so long and dusting in the viv even less! I have tried dusting some and leaving them in a container his previous owner also used but he still doesnt seem interested at the moment. I have also tried him with some dusted veg but no joy.

I have had him for a couple of days so is this lack of appetite most likely down to moving/new surroundings and at what point should I start to be worried?

Watering- in his viv is a exoterra leaf dripper with a pump in a waterfall. this has been a massive pain with the pump being temperamental and getting all leaves aligned so its not dripping everywhere and emptying itself. Then when you add the fact he decided to sit on top of it after getting it going! (Although this was the first time I went in for any length of time and he was quiet calm no show or hissing so will take that as a win!) I also understand these can cause problems with harbouring bacteria!

Would it be an issue to change this to a standard dripper system to give fresher water without the hassle?

General Behaviour- I have seen him twice walking around on the floor of his viv. is this normal? I thought he would hate having nothing to grab onto. The second time he sat there for an hour then wandered back up on his vine!

The previous owner did say he liked to hang out on a stand they made for him and would sit on your hand outside of his viv. they did also say he is quiet viv defensive. this has me a bit confused!

I know chameleons on the whole dont like to be handled and I have no intentions of forcing this issue upon him, I am perfectly happy to watch him in his viv!
If I did want to see if he would go for being handled what would be the least stressful way to approach this or is it something that is different for each chameleon.

If anyone could help me out with any of this and give a bit of input that would be much appreciated.
Cheers!

Hello! Congrats on your new guy! First I would definitely get rid of the waterfall. They become a bacteria breeding ground. Just switch to a dripper system. Either homemade or store bought will work just fine. As for handling, I'd give him a few weeks to settle in to his new surroundings and routine before you try to handle him. When you do decide to handle him, it's best to approach him from underneath and gently coax him onto your hand. Do not grab him from above, that will cause him more stress. All that being said, it's a general rule to keep handling down to a minimum. But all chams are different! What size enclosure do you have him in?

Thanks I am so happy I got him, just want to make sure I get things right from the start!
Hes in a exo terra 90x45x60cm. Is this going to be large enough for him?
I know not to handle often would just make it easier when cleaning his viv and hopefully keep it less stressful for him.

The exo terra is on the small side for an adult, 2x2x4 is the common minimum cage size suggested for a veiled. Males especially need more space as they tend to roam their surroundings, if possible and you don't have any other pets that could get to it a free range is a nice alternative.

I would love to get him in a free range however I not sure it would be warm enough year round for him living in manchester, england. I think he needs a viv in england as it gives more control over replicating his natural conditions. I will have a look at exo terra extra tall, this would give him an extra 30cms on top of what he has now.

I'm in Scotland and my veiled does fine in her mesh cage and free range area. I got 70-80% humidity and I have the radiator on during the day in my room.

what size viv have you got your veiled in? i would like to get mine into something larger so he has more space to roam.

I think its something like 60x90x45cm (reptibreeze large one) and as her free range Ive got two large trees and some hibiscus plants.

Back
Top Bottom