New Chameleon, reluctant on Crickets

Nickinator

Good afternoon Guys,

New to the Forum and i want to say i appreciate finding this site to ask questions.

I have a new baby Veiled Chameleon around 2-3 months. I have had him for a few days and he seems reluctant to eat Crickets. I have not seen him eat one yet, but i cant say forsurre he is not eating them.

There is alot of places for the crickets to hide in the enclosure (16x16x30 for now) and im curious if there is any way to assist him on feeding?

I have fed him two meal worms in the time ive had him, just to make sure hes eating something.

Thanks guys!

Lots of options for other foods other than crickets. Roaches bsfl super worms, horn worms, bsf.
I remove hind legs of my crickets so they are forced to walk around. Takes time but you get the hang of it after awhile. My cham is just starting to get the hang of cylindrical feeder cups that the crickets can climb up the back. He couldn't grasp the concept of round flat feeder cups yet.

I found that something like the attached photo works well for smaller food. Easier to monitor the consumption then free range feeding.

Attachments

• 20180404_165027_resized_1.jpg
    20180404_165027_resized_1.jpg
    318.9 KB · Views: 102
Everyone recommendations are great, people always recommend dubia roaches as one of best staple foods, I do not mean this in a mean way, but STOP feeding him meal worms right away. They can cause such horrible problems with chameleons digestion. Instead of meal worms get superworms.

Everyone recommendations are great, people always recommend dubia roaches as one of best staple foods, I do not mean this in a mean way, but STOP feeding him meal worms right away. They can cause such horrible problems with chameleons digestion. Instead of meal worms get superworms.

What is your opinion on Silk Worms? My guy seems to love them, i have also seen superworms, i may purchase some online

What is your opinion on Silk Worms? My guy seems to love them, i have also seen superworms, i may purchase some online

I never tried silkworms yet but i hear good things.. gonna start making a more varied diet for my guy. But superworms are like a snack for them unfortunately they cant live off them

Just get one of those sauce containers like the ones from the restruants crickets wont jump out of it usually only craw they might escape sometimes its rare but i dont like taking the legs off because i think its a waste nor do i like them running around the cage because i cant pick them all out and you definitely dont want your cham getting bitten by the crickets, just try offering the cup infront of him and try and keep your arm still so he doesnt get scared, also make sure he can look down and see whats in it. I find this the easiest way to keep track of them, Mine comes running as soon as he sees the cup :)

yea, you know like the plastic food containers? those work great, maybe when he gets a little bigger you can try baby hornworms or wax worms. Mealworms and crickets can clog the digestive tract and cause some issues but make sure to supplement with calcium both d3 and non d3

Back
Top Bottom