New Chameleon Parent (with baby panther)

quinnhj91

Hello everyone! My name is Quinn, and my boyfriend Gage and I are entirely new to the chameleon scene. He had been doing research and wanting a chameleon for quite some time, and originally wanted a Jackson's chameleon. However, we wound up meeting someone moving out of state that was selling a fully set up adult enclosure with "all the fixins", a smaller baby/juvi enclosure, a misting system, and a baby panther chameleon all for quite a good deal.

That being said, here's Apollo!
161182-8ce6f43ced93c1822162e9d7554062c1.jpg
161183-76e6266ba21c163c1a48c01dc935fc58.jpg

He seems to be adjusting quite well, and we've done a lot of reading to try and ensure we're doing everything as perfectly as we can. Still, we're new at this. Our only other reptile is a leopard gecko and he is obviously, literally and as the saying goes, a whole 'nother animal. I figured I'd fill out the ask form and if anyone sees or spots something totally off we're doing, or has any tips and general pointers, we could be pointed in the right direction?

Chameleon Info:

My Chameleon - Apollo is a male (from the breeder's judgement) panther chameleon who was born 4/22. He's about 1.5 weeks shy of three months old.
Handling - We got him two days ago, on the 8th, and handled him then. Just let him climb on our arms and such. Since getting home, we've just kept him in his enclosure and plan on keeping handling to a minimum.
Feeding - We have been feeding Apollo flightless fruit flies, generally putting in about 15-20 three times a day. We usually time it around when his mist has gone off.
Supplements - We have Zoo Med Repti Calcium (no d3 no phosphorus) to use about every feeding, the calcium with d3 for twice a month, and then a Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin for 1-2 times a month.
Watering - We have an automated mister that is set to go off three times a day for 90 seconds. I personally haven't seen him drink off a leaf but I have seen him get really jazzed about the mist and move to better position himself in it, so I do think he is drinking.
Fecal Description - Since we've had him I have personally seen him go once, and my boyfriend another. The one I saw was the day we'd brought him home. The urate was the teeniest bit yellow tinged, but this was also directly before his first misting after the car ride home. The brown bit was a bit wet but formed.

Cage Info:
161184-b990f15edbaaeee892d3e31e8cb2f77d.jpg

(pardon the cords and scissors, we were moving things around a bit)
Cage Type
- It's all screen, 16" x 16" x 30"
Lighting - We have a Zoo Med 5.0 UVB light, and a Fluker's dimmer clamp lamp with a 75wt bulb. His lighting schedule is 7:30am to 7:30pm.
Temperature - The basking area under the light is, according to the sensor on the branch directly beneath it, about 84 degrees. The temps towards the bottom of his cage are around 72-75 with the lights. At night it falls to about 70 flat as that's our apt temp.
Humidity - Our humidity gauge has been a bit slow to respond so we're planning on getting a new one. From its most reliable readouts, the humidity is about 65, spiking higher after mists.
Plants - Not yet. We plan to when he's old enough to move into his larger cage, so quite a while yet, and still don't know what kind.
Placement - His cage is beside our couch, beside two walls. It's like a little corner in our living room. He's on a table that is about a foot off the ground. Not near any vents or fans.
Location - We are located in Mesa, AZ.

Alright, I think that's all the info. I really hope that we're on the right track with the little guy, but if anything seems off or if further clarification is needed please let me know! I'm the type of person who likes to go above and beyond for their pets, and Apollo is no exception. There's just a lot of info out there and some of it is contradictory or vague, so I wanted to get the best personal opinions. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Apollo.jpg
    Apollo.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 204
  • apollo2.jpg
    apollo2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 207
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 176
Watering - We have an automated mister that is set to go off three times a day for 90 seconds. I personally haven't seen him drink off a leaf but I have seen him get really jazzed about the mist and move to better position himself in it, so I do think he is drinking.
Is it a mistking? Even so, mine goes off for 8 minutes to 9 minutes, 5 times a day, which is for a Veiled.

Congratulations, he's a cutie! You're a step ahead of a lot of other first timers by coming to this site for guidance and advice!

Is it a mistking? Even so, mine goes off for 8 minutes to 9 minutes, 5 times a day, which is for a Veiled.

Honestly, I wish I'd asked more when we were with the woman; I'm not sure. It seems like a sort of custom rig she set up, and I don't know what brand it is or anything other than it's there, it works, and it works with a set timer.
I've read a bit and gotten sort of all-over-the-map suggestions for misting, but a lot of places said when they're as young as he is you don't want to over-mist them, which is why we'd stuck at three for now. Not sure if that's the case or if someone else know's otherwise.

Congratulations, he's a cutie! You're a step ahead of a lot of other first timers by coming to this site for guidance and advice!

Thank you! We're pretty infatuated with him right now. He's just so adorable and unique. I'm glad I found this forum when I did, it has been and seems like it will continue to be an invaluable source of info.

first of all, I love the name Apollo. secondly you are off to an amazing start being a beginner it really looks like you did your research. all that I can say to adjust is longer misting sessions or maybe one or two more of the 90 second ones so he has more hydration because hydration is key when it comes to the health of your chameleon. also, do you gut load your flies? proper gut loading is very important especially if you want to see brighter coloration in your male panther. good luck with him, he's a cutie!:LOL:

first of all, I love the name Apollo. secondly you are off to an amazing start being a beginner it really looks like you did your research. all that I can say to adjust is longer misting sessions or maybe one or two more of the 90 second ones so he has more hydration because hydration is key when it comes to the health of your chameleon. also, do you gut load your flies? proper gut loading is very important especially if you want to see brighter coloration in your male panther. good luck with him, he's a cutie!:LOL:

Thanks so much! Our leopard gecko's name is Artemis, so Apollo just seemed fitting. I'll definitely adjust the mistings; I was afraid of overdoing it but I'm glad to hear a few more or just longer sessions would help.

The fruit flies I've been a little confused over gut loading since that's definitely one thing I've heard mixed stuff on, from people saying it can't be done successfully in fruit flies or whatnot. I found a recipe for fruit fly media that adds in some nutrients and we can always try that.

We're still looking around for pinhead crickets, especially since crickets are easier to gutload and we have apple, carrot, mustard greens, etc. Frustratingly none of the stores near us have had extra small crickets. Well, one did. They were all dead. :|

Thanks so much! Our leopard gecko's name is Artemis, so Apollo just seemed fitting. I'll definitely adjust the mistings; I was afraid of overdoing it but I'm glad to hear a few more or just longer sessions would help.

The fruit flies I've been a little confused over gut loading since that's definitely one thing I've heard mixed stuff on, from people saying it can't be done successfully in fruit flies or whatnot. I found a recipe for fruit fly media that adds in some nutrients and we can always try that.

We're still looking around for pinhead crickets, especially since crickets are easier to gutload and we have apple, carrot, mustard greens, etc. Frustratingly none of the stores near us have had extra small crickets. Well, one did. They were all dead. :|
is there any chance he's big enough to take regular small sized crickets? they should be no larger than the space between his eyes. if you would rather stick with pinheads until he's a little bigger I used to purchase mine from www.rainbowmealworms.com and mine always arrived alive even after being in the mail a few days. that website also has good gut load to use for crickets its called bug burger. not sure if you can use it for fruit flies but it is great for dubias crickets and superworms

@etclement that's nice for your veiled, but honestly unnecessary(unless you have a really hard time keeping humidity?).

A few times a day adding up to 15-20ish min is fine. Just do a long mist(10-15) as soon as lights go on when they tend to drink then a few more mistings for 2-3 min each.

The width(not length) of the food should not be larger than their between their eyes. That's why we can feed large worms because they're long, but not wide.

You'll eventually need a larger cage(probably around the 6 month mark.

And you'll want to put the cage so his basking spot is above eye level. This makes a huge difference. If not they will constantly be in a panic trying to get to higher ground.

You're off to a great start and have the signs of a great cham keeper, goodluck!

@etclement that's nice for your veiled, but honestly unnecessary(unless you have a really hard time keeping humidity?).

A few times a day adding up to 15-20ish min is fine. Just do a long mist(10-15) as soon as lights go on when they tend to drink then a few more mistings for 2-3 min each.

The width(not length) of the food should not be larger than their between their eyes. That's why we can feed large worms because they're long, but not wide.

You'll eventually need a larger cage(probably around the 6 month mark.

And you'll want to put the cage so his basking spot is above eye level. This makes a huge difference. If not they will constantly be in a panic trying to get to higher ground.

You're off to a great start and have the signs of a great cham keeper, goodluck!
Yea my humidity is pretty bad

Thanks again for the replies! It has honestly helped set me at ease a little bit while raising this baby.

He seems to be doing well, we're just getting used to watching him and noting any little ticks and quirks and getting a feel for a good routine with him. We've increased the number of mistings but are still gonna tweak them up in time to get to that 15-20min time.

I did use that rainbowmealworms.com place to get some pinheads; today we finally found a place nearby to get some too, but I do think he'll be able to have extra small or small crickets soon. We have the crickets in with some apple and carrot for now, need to get some mustard greens soon.

He's a little cutie! I own a veiled so can't help out much but there are many knowledgeable people on these forums that are very willing to give sound advice....welcome

Thank you!

I think the only thing I can think of to ask right now is if it is at all normal for them to get pretty dark after misting? I don't know if the mist just startles him or whatever, but he always gets really dark after the mist goes off.

Thank you!

I think the only thing I can think of to ask right now is if it is at all normal for them to get pretty dark after misting? I don't know if the mist just startles him or whatever, but he always gets really dark after the mist goes off.
thats probably him just trying to absorb heat since the mist was cold

Thank you!

Yes they tend to NOT like direct mist--however I try to make the water as hot as possible, put him on a real plant in my room and mist him for at least a half hour. Besides he is still a baby and you have not had him long--- but misting is very important

Ahhh that makes a lot of sense. He always brightens up a few minutes after, he just happens to be towards the top of the cage a lot when the mist goes off. It's like room temp water, like 75 degrees.

Hello everyone! My name is Quinn, and my boyfriend Gage and I are entirely new to the chameleon scene. He had been doing research and wanting a chameleon for quite some time, and originally wanted a Jackson's chameleon. However, we wound up meeting someone moving out of state that was selling a fully set up adult enclosure with "all the fixins", a smaller baby/juvi enclosure, a misting system, and a baby panther chameleon all for quite a good deal.

That being said, here's Apollo!
161182-8ce6f43ced93c1822162e9d7554062c1.jpg
161183-76e6266ba21c163c1a48c01dc935fc58.jpg

He seems to be adjusting quite well, and we've done a lot of reading to try and ensure we're doing everything as perfectly as we can. Still, we're new at this. Our only other reptile is a leopard gecko and he is obviously, literally and as the saying goes, a whole 'nother animal. I figured I'd fill out the ask form and if anyone sees or spots something totally off we're doing, or has any tips and general pointers, we could be pointed in the right direction?

Chameleon Info:

My Chameleon
- Apollo is a male (from the breeder's judgement) panther chameleon who was born 4/22. He's about 1.5 weeks shy of three months old.
Handling - We got him two days ago, on the 8th, and handled him then. Just let him climb on our arms and such. Since getting home, we've just kept him in his enclosure and plan on keeping handling to a minimum.
Feeding - We have been feeding Apollo flightless fruit flies, generally putting in about 15-20 three times a day. We usually time it around when his mist has gone off.
Supplements - We have Zoo Med Repti Calcium (no d3 no phosphorus) to use about every feeding, the calcium with d3 for twice a month, and then a Rep-Cal Herptivite Multivitamin for 1-2 times a month.
Fecal Description - Since we've had him I have personally seen him go once, and my boyfriend another. The one I saw was the day we'd brought him home. The urate was the teeniest bit yellow tinged, but this was also directly before his first misting after the car ride home. The brown bit was a bit wet but formed.

Cage Info:
161184-b990f15edbaaeee892d3e31e8cb2f77d.jpg

(pardon the cords and scissors, we were moving things around a bit)
Cage Type - It's all screen, 16" x 16" x 30"
Lighting - We have a Zoo Med 5.0 UVB light, and a Fluker's dimmer clamp lamp with a 75wt bulb. His lighting schedule is 7:30am to 7:30pm.
Temperature - The basking area under the light is, according to the sensor on the branch directly beneath it, about 84 degrees. The temps towards the bottom of his cage are around 72-75 with the lights. At night it falls to about 70 flat as that's our apt temp.
Humidity - Our humidity gauge has been a bit slow to respond so we're planning on getting a new one. From its most reliable readouts, the humidity is about 65, spiking higher after mists.
Plants - Not yet. We plan to when he's old enough to move into his larger cage, so quite a while yet, and still don't know what kind.
Placement - His cage is beside our couch, beside two walls. It's like a little corner in our living room. He's on a table that is about a foot off the ground. Not near any vents or fans.
Location - We are located in Mesa, AZ.

Alright, I think that's all the info. I really hope that we're on the right track with the little guy, but if anything seems off or if further clarification is needed please let me know! I'm the type of person who likes to go above and beyond for their pets, and Apollo is no exception. There's just a lot of info out there and some of it is contradictory or vague, so I wanted to get the best personal opinions. Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome . Congratulations on the little one. My Panther Tyrion is 7 months old and my husband and I just love him! We're both retired now and enjoying having him around.
If you have any questions this is the place to get answers. A lot of well informed people are here to help so don't hesitate to ask. As for night time don't uses any light bulbs they like the dark, but please get a ceramic heat bulb which only gives off heat .i use one of those utility dome fixtures you find at Home Depot about 6 or 7 bucks. I freak out thinking about him, wondering if it's to cool in the house during the warm summer with the air conditioning on. I keep a extra bulb just in case this one burns out. Good luck with Apollo , he's a keeper for sure !

We definitely have a lamp just for giving off heat - at night with all the lights off it is 75 in the apt so it's pretty comfortable for him regardless.

It's so nice to have a community of people in all stages of chameleon experience and ownership! So helpful.
We got him some small crickets yesterday as they were definitely small enough for him. It's the largest thing he's been offered, though, and while he's picked off a few of them it's definitely been less. I think most likely because, well, they're bigger. We're keeping a close eye to make sure he is comfortably eating them, though.

The temp in his cage is great, 72 down below and 80-82 under his basking area. The humidity is quite high, though - or at least is reading high - in the upper 80s. Granted that is with the gauge right against the bottom of the cage where the most mist gathers. It's just interesting because a lot of people seem to have the reverse issue - too low of humidity. We seem to have too much! His cage is all mesh so there's good air flow, but I wasn't sure if that'd pose a problem and if so how to remedy it.

20205670_1823177804366239_759014984_o.jpg
20180344_1823177794366240_1286562088_o.jpg

Here's some new pics of the little dude!

Got humidity under control btw. The entire problem was the sensor was resting on the mat on the floor of the cage, which was always damp from the mistings. Raised the gauge a bit, ambient temp is 72 and humidity is 68/

@Ccarlso300 ... Welcome to the forum!
There's no point in asking questions on old threads as a rule because most of the time the people have moved on and no longer post on here or the thread is no longer significant to the person. If you want to know something I would start a new thread with your question.

Back
Top Bottom