New chameleon owner

I adopted this chameleon six days ago. He hunts really well, his enclosure was updated immediately when we got him. I don’t try to handle him, all I do is mist his cage 3x a day, feed him and air it out for a few minutes at a time. The transportation from old owners to us was probably very traumatic but he seems more stressed than the first couple days we had him. I’ve read so many articles on here and have learned a lot, but is it normal for him to bloat out after eating, he probably had 6 crickets today. Also his skin is dull colored and light spots starting to show. I’ve read about the black spot pattern compared to burn marks, but is he too close to the light maybe? What’s the proper distance to keep him from the tube light? It’s only been six days so I’m not surprised he’s stressed but is there anything here I’m missing. We don’t plan on interacting with him due to his previous trauma with his first owners, all we want is to give him the best life he can have in confinement. Before picture of his terrarium is when we went to pick him up. The after is that night we got home

Attachments

• BBEAD5F8-1CBF-432E-9176-0303D73C6950.jpeg
    BBEAD5F8-1CBF-432E-9176-0303D73C6950.jpeg
    224 KB · Views: 114
  • 2CC5150D-3E59-4C73-BEC2-2F3DB41DE21B.jpeg
    2CC5150D-3E59-4C73-BEC2-2F3DB41DE21B.jpeg
    99.2 KB · Views: 109
And this is the light I have for him, is this proper for him?

Attachments

• 2095247E-3C41-4BB5-9FC5-F87AEB3A3D56.png
    2095247E-3C41-4BB5-9FC5-F87AEB3A3D56.png
    199.3 KB · Views: 76
So I’ve gotten the light you have, I really like it, but you need to break and remove the plastic on it that protects the bulb, or none of the uvb will get to your chameleon. I can show you mine if you’re confused. But you’ll definitely want to get rid of that thick plastic.

Hi and welcome! :) If you’ve spent any time lurking here, you know I’ve got tons of questions.😂 As there’s so very much misinformation out there, I’d like to review all of your husbandry and make sure you get everything perfect for this sweet little guy. I’m going to assume his prior keepers did everything wrong, which means it’s more important for you to be doing everything right, from the start.
I’m not sure what that light spot is, but it may be a light burn. It’s definitely something to closely watch.
If you could please answer the following questions (just copy/paste) one of us can go over your husbandry and help make sure it’s spot on.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome! There are some amazing people here and we will do our best to help you with any questions or husbandry problems you may have. What are the dimensions of his terrarium! I’m not sure about that light, most here use either a T5HO fixture with a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% long linear bulb. The distance for these bulbs above the basking branch should be 8-9 inches.

Hi and welcome! There are some amazing people here and we will do our best to help you with any questions or husbandry problems you may have. What are the dimensions of his terrarium! I’m not sure about that light, most here use either a T5HO fixture with a reptisun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% long linear bulb. The distance for these bulbs above the basking branch should be 8-9 inches.
I’ve used it and have had no issues actually. Have had it for awhile now. I’ll update if it goes bad.

Attachments

• 74391580-9C3A-4D41-AF4F-318B157B9870.jpeg
    74391580-9C3A-4D41-AF4F-318B157B9870.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 69
  • 1295D061-8BAA-4905-A488-F1718CDB92F6.jpeg
    1295D061-8BAA-4905-A488-F1718CDB92F6.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 69
  • 2F7506A1-8BD6-4A09-BCD6-481B0BFEE635.jpeg
    2F7506A1-8BD6-4A09-BCD6-481B0BFEE635.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 76
So I’ve gotten the light you have, I really like it, but you need to break and remove the plastic on it that protects the bulb, or none of the uvb will get to your chameleon. I can show you mine if you’re confused. But you’ll definitely want to get rid of that thick plastic.
I don’t mean any disrespect but can you share more details on why that’s important before I make that big change.

Hi and welcome! :) If you’ve spent any time lurking here, you know I’ve got tons of questions.😂 As there’s so very much misinformation out there, I’d like to review all of your husbandry and make sure you get everything perfect for this sweet little guy. I’m going to assume his prior keepers did everything wrong, which means it’s more important for you to be doing everything right, from the start.
I’m not sure what that light spot is, but it may be a light burn. It’s definitely something to closely watch.
If you could please answer the following questions (just copy/paste) one of us can go over your husbandry and help make sure it’s spot on.
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.
It’s totally new. I have no idea it doesn’t look like a growth of something on his skin it looks like a color change

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:
  2. Photos can be very
  3. Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. No idea at all
    How long has it been in your care? Six days
    Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Never
    Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? Crickets. He was not fed with previous owners and is hunting well. What amount?Four to six a day
    What is the schedule? About an hour or so after he wakes up and about five hours later. Three at a time
    How are you gut-loading your feeders? Carrots and mango
    Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Once a day with flukers high calcium dust
    Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? I mist his cage three times a day
    How often and how long to you mist? Thirty seconds three times a day.
    Do you see your chameleon drinking? No
    Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Never been tested for parasites and it’s soft black droppings
    History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
    He was not fed unsure for how long. As soon as I found out the owners had not been feeding him I adopted him the next evening and he ate as soon as we got him home. Assuming it’s a “he”.

Cage Info:
    Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Glass. Size 19.1"L x 16.6"W x 22.4"H 20 gallon hexagon tank
    Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? Zilla Slimline Tropical 15 watt 25 UVB T8 Fluorescent FixtureWhat is your daily lighting schedule? 12 hours on 12 hours off
    Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? I don’t have a thermostat or hygrometer yet unfortunately it was a sudden adoption due to him not being cared for
    Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
    Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Need to buy them thermometer and hygrometer ASAP
    Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Not yet, idk what the best is yet
    Placement - Where is your cage located? High on my dresser so it’s taller than me
    Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? Mild traffic in my room and yes the air vent is in the ceiling
    At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? 6 feet
    Location - Where are you geographically located? West Virginia usa

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about. Should I take the plastic cover off the light, someone mentioned it’s hindering the UVB, that white spot shown on his body and bland color went away shortly after I posted this, is that normal. Am I doing everything okay? How am I going to clean his cage tomorrow and reduce the stress. I can’t have a screen cage because of my cats. Is the privacy I added in the pics I shared in the comments helpful? He is scared of the reptile humidifier we have, should I still use it? Is there any foods I should be feeding the crickets that will help him? Is it normal for him to bloat and change to a bland color with black spots after he eats? Does he have black spots because I had his vine too close to the light? I moved it down immediately.

--------------

Please Note:
    The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Attachments

• AA0CB277-4E2B-43DA-A513-27A37B9AE5A2.jpeg
    AA0CB277-4E2B-43DA-A513-27A37B9AE5A2.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 40C2D5AB-D547-464E-B17C-47A5C55E3055.jpeg
    40C2D5AB-D547-464E-B17C-47A5C55E3055.jpeg
    117.3 KB · Views: 57
  • 57FCF9CF-84FC-4CDB-BC93-813FC6E9F367.jpeg
    57FCF9CF-84FC-4CDB-BC93-813FC6E9F367.jpeg
    109 KB · Views: 57
  • DE6B5C97-7115-4010-A044-136D6C1CFC41.jpeg
    DE6B5C97-7115-4010-A044-136D6C1CFC41.jpeg