New chameleon owner: Sleesta and I would greatly appreciate your help

Kthompson

◦ Your Chameleon - female panther chameleon (specifics unknown) possibly 6-8 months old???? How long has it been in your care? 1 month.

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely. Maybe once a week to every other week.

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? I have been offering crickets, Dubai roaches, superworms, silk worms, wax worms and mealworms. She only eats mealworms and an occasional super worm. Refuses all else and will only take it from my fingers, no dish or tweezers. When I first brought her home I bought crickets, but they sent home mealworms for free stating she was picky. She refused all food the first day and refused crickets for 2 more days before I tried the mealworms. She ate about 10 in a row eagerly and I continued to try crickets in between. I then started offering a wide variety of bugs in different feeding styles and she would move away or simply just refuse. I fed her mealworms for a couple more days to make sure she had sustenance and then only offered the other bugs. She would go days without eating anything except one superworm before turning away. A few hours later I could maybe get her to eat another. She then refused all superworms and I went back to giving her a couple mealworms while trying to trick her into eating something else. I just tried a 5 day stretch of offering anything but mealworms and she refused to eat a single thing. I was hoping she would become hungry enough to eat anything else besides a mealworm. Needless to say, she was getting very weak and angry/stressed. That was my last effort to force her into eating other bugs without physically force feeding her. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed them all a wide variety of vegetable ends and fresh “scraps”, Yams, sweet potatoes, apples, Flukers orange cubes, and I offer the same diet as I feed my very healthy 10 and 15 year old Russian tortoises.

◦ Supplements - repticalcium without D3. Alternating feedings with and without dusting since she isn’t eating well.

◦ Watering - I have a drip system that is on a constant drip; one drop every 5 seconds, that I open up twice daily for a constant drip for about 10 minutes. I used to list 3 times a day but that stressed her out. I just purchased a Fogger a couple days ago that I run on low nonstop since the humidity was in the 40’s if I didn’t mist 3 times daily. The soil in the plats and nesting box is always moist. I was trying to minimize stress with the Fogger, but it seems to stress her out anyway. She drinks periodically from the leaves under the drip or directly from the drip line when I open it up. What kind of watering technique do you use?

◦ Fecal Description - dark to lighter brown, well formed fecal matter, white to slightly cream colored urates. I have not run a fecal on her yet.

◦ History - I’m a licensed veterinary technician finishing up courses for acceptance into vet school. I’ve never owned a chameleon before. I have a lot of experience with other reptiles, exotics, wildlife rehab, cats, dogs and other critters. My chameleon was not a planned addition to the family at all! And I never, ever get any from local petstores...except this one I guess. Ran in for some dog food and after a weak moment and pressure from my kids and the guy who knows I have some critters, we walked out with a “screaming deal” on a difficult chameleon. I’ve handled difficult critters, but my Sleesta is way out of my league.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - 16x 16 x 30 tall metal screen cage

◦ Lighting - reptisun 5.0 UVB compact, reptisun 60 watt day heat bulb. These are on an automatic timer for 12 hr day and night cycles. The setup came with the compact uvb bulb. I always switch to a strip, but was wondering if this coil might be ok due to her basking distance????

◦ Temperature - basking spot is 88, lower vines are around 80 bottom of enclosure is 75. Overnight temp is 68 to 70. I have various thermometers placed throughout enclosure and move as needed.

◦ Humidity - Ranges from 40 to 80% throughout the day depending on when I mist, fully open the drip and I’m still playing around with the new Fogger. I have thermo/hygrometers placed throughout the enclosure.

◦ Plants - yes, I have 4 live plants. I have one pothos, something similar to a pothos and 2 ground cover/climbing vines. I considered taking the unknowns out but she has not shown any interest in eating them at all. I also have a 16 inch deep planter filled with organic potting soil to serve as a nesting bin that I keep moist but not wet.

◦ Placement - when we first brought her home, she was in my bedroom with more “traffic” and a ceiling fan for 3 days. I then moved her to the “office” where I keep the tortoises in their enclosure across the room and keep the door closed at all times. The kids and other animals are not allowed in and I’m the only one who goes in to feed/water her. I closed the ac vents and turned the ceiling fan off. Her enclosure is on a 3 foot high table and I placed a beach wrap around the back and part of two sides. I have not been doing any studies in there to try to let her relax and adjust.

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? We just recently moved to Greeley, Colorado. I’m not yet used to adjusting to the conditions here with my tortoises and other pets.

Current Problem - My Sleesta is very unhappy and stressed. She is not interested in any other food besides mealworms, no matter what I seem to try. She was much more outgoing when I first brought her home. Rarely ever flashed black or ran away. Now dark and black seem to be her color. She tolerates me fairly well, but I try not to handle her. Since I’ve starved her in an attempt to coax her into eating anything besides mealworms, she is weak and very stressed. After me feeding her mealworms again the past couple days, she has regained her strength but is still continually black in color. The fog machine seems to be stressing her out as well. She is just finishing up shedding. This is the first time she’s shed since I’ve had her, but I’ve only had her a month. It seemed to be uneventful and quick. I’m not familiar with chameleons at all so any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. I want my girl to be happy and thrive with us!!! Thank you in advance!!

Attachments

• 43E2CEEE-9B7C-4229-8EE8-F5BD32812BE2.jpeg
    43E2CEEE-9B7C-4229-8EE8-F5BD32812BE2.jpeg
    159.3 KB · Views: 251
  • D6094753-77CE-4114-94D3-B693F6666D4A.jpeg
    D6094753-77CE-4114-94D3-B693F6666D4A.jpeg
    363.4 KB · Views: 270
  • 93E7E433-3262-4DEC-ADAD-2E6E5C9891DF.jpeg
    93E7E433-3262-4DEC-ADAD-2E6E5C9891DF.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 254
  • C72451A1-51D9-4A38-B45D-73C3F37CFD54.jpeg
    C72451A1-51D9-4A38-B45D-73C3F37CFD54.jpeg
    389.9 KB · Views: 251
  • 4165D05E-A0BE-43F6-9E53-AD6CC102C360.jpeg
    4165D05E-A0BE-43F6-9E53-AD6CC102C360.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 93CFABF5-AF2E-4479-941E-2702D3986284.jpeg
    93CFABF5-AF2E-4479-941E-2702D3986284.jpeg
    330.6 KB · Views: 243
  • FFA46CC4-6405-430A-8576-B2DBCD48C593.jpeg
    FFA46CC4-6405-430A-8576-B2DBCD48C593.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 280
  • 8CC0AC85-D9B1-4524-B8D6-84486D21BB0E.jpeg
    8CC0AC85-D9B1-4524-B8D6-84486D21BB0E.jpeg
    390.1 KB · Views: 255
  • C0C8F925-DA62-492C-B18D-21DC1F1298F3.jpeg
    C0C8F925-DA62-492C-B18D-21DC1F1298F3.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 250
How is she doing?

I personally prefer the strip over compact uvb bulbs, and many people recommend the strip over compact as well.

I'm no expert but she may have a mealworm addiction (I've heard of this before). Those aren't the best choice for feeder If you didn't already know. Have you tried giving her hornworms?

Do you only have the one supplement?
Also, I would ditch the orange cubes.

Has she been checked out by a vet?

How is she doing?

I personally prefer the strip over compact uvb bulbs, and many people recommend the strip over compact as well.

I'm no expert but she may have a mealworm addiction (I've heard of this before). Those aren't the best choice for feeder If you didn't already know. Have you tried giving her hornworms?

How is she doing?

Hello,
Thank you for your help. I’ll pick up a strip uvb for her like I typically use. She is doing about the same. Her problems seem to have cropped up because I was trying to get her off the mealworms. Do you have any ideas on how I can get her off of them? Starving her was a last ditch effort. I still am trying all the other bugs but have to give her mealworms when she gets weak. And I am trying to get my hands on some hornworms. My local stores only get the super big ones in and I wasn’t sure she would eat those. I’m waiting for a new feed store to get their small shipment in. I didn’t want to order a bunch online if she didnt eat them. I have quite a big collection already. Also, I must have forgot to mention previously, but I do use a vitamin as well. Every other feeding since she doesn’t eat much. I’m honestly not sure why I grabbed the orange cubes. I only give one in conjunction with all the other gut loads. I’ll just toss them. Thank you. Also, I really don’t know how old she is. She hasn’t gained or lost weight and appears to be just as big/long. Is it possible she’s already an adult?

Are you familiar with the extra care required for female chameleons? If not I recommend reviewing the blog linked below.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/egg-laying-and-the-laying-bin.345/

If you don't know of an experienced veterinarian in your area I suggest figuring that out today if possible: https://arav.org/
Hello,
Thank you for the blog link. I have read that as well as done a bunch of research specifically on females, but I’m still new to owning chameleons and I know I won’t learn everything. I provided a laying bin, and she has checked it out but hasn’t done anything in there. Her weight is the same as when I brought her home, 68 g, give or take a couple grams. She hasn’t noticibly grown as far as I can tell. I’m not sure of her age and don’t really believe anything the pet store told me. When she eats she appears much happier and not as dark. But I don’t want to feed her mealworms. I have not taken her into an exotics vet yet, but have been in contact with several of my veterinarian friends, one of which used to work with exotics. We tried giving her time and making adjustments, but I do plan to take her in soon. I was putting out feelers with all you chameleon experts to see if anyone has any other ideas or tricks for me to try. Thank you again, I really appreciate it

◦ Your Chameleon - female panther chameleon (specifics unknown) possibly 6-8 months old???? How long has it been in your care? 1 month.

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Rarely. Maybe once a week to every other week.

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? I have been offering crickets, Dubai roaches, superworms, silk worms, wax worms and mealworms. She only eats mealworms and an occasional super worm. Refuses all else and will only take it from my fingers, no dish or tweezers. When I first brought her home I bought crickets, but they sent home mealworms for free stating she was picky. She refused all food the first day and refused crickets for 2 more days before I tried the mealworms. She ate about 10 in a row eagerly and I continued to try crickets in between. I then started offering a wide variety of bugs in different feeding styles and she would move away or simply just refuse. I fed her mealworms for a couple more days to make sure she had sustenance and then only offered the other bugs. She would go days without eating anything except one superworm before turning away. A few hours later I could maybe get her to eat another. She then refused all superworms and I went back to giving her a couple mealworms while trying to trick her into eating something else. I just tried a 5 day stretch of offering anything but mealworms and she refused to eat a single thing. I was hoping she would become hungry enough to eat anything else besides a mealworm. Needless to say, she was getting very weak and angry/stressed. That was my last effort to force her into eating other bugs without physically force feeding her. How are you gut-loading your feeders? I feed them all a wide variety of vegetable ends and fresh “scraps”, Yams, sweet potatoes, apples, Flukers orange cubes, and I offer the same diet as I feed my very healthy 10 and 15 year old Russian tortoises.

◦ Supplements - repticalcium without D3. Alternating feedings with and without dusting since she isn’t eating well.

◦ Watering - I have a drip system that is on a constant drip; one drop every 5 seconds, that I open up twice daily for a constant drip for about 10 minutes. I used to list 3 times a day but that stressed her out. I just purchased a Fogger a couple days ago that I run on low nonstop since the humidity was in the 40’s if I didn’t mist 3 times daily. The soil in the plats and nesting box is always moist. I was trying to minimize stress with the Fogger, but it seems to stress her out anyway. She drinks periodically from the leaves under the drip or directly from the drip line when I open it up. What kind of watering technique do you use?

◦ Fecal Description - dark to lighter brown, well formed fecal matter, white to slightly cream colored urates. I have not run a fecal on her yet.

◦ History - I’m a licensed veterinary technician finishing up courses for acceptance into vet school. I’ve never owned a chameleon before. I have a lot of experience with other reptiles, exotics, wildlife rehab, cats, dogs and other critters. My chameleon was not a planned addition to the family at all! And I never, ever get any from local petstores...except this one I guess. Ran in for some dog food and after a weak moment and pressure from my kids and the guy who knows I have some critters, we walked out with a “screaming deal” on a difficult chameleon. I’ve handled difficult critters, but my Sleesta is way out of my league.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - 16x 16 x 30 tall metal screen cage

◦ Lighting - reptisun 5.0 UVB compact, reptisun 60 watt day heat bulb. These are on an automatic timer for 12 hr day and night cycles. The setup came with the compact uvb bulb. I always switch to a strip, but was wondering if this coil might be ok due to her basking distance????

◦ Temperature - basking spot is 88, lower vines are around 80 bottom of enclosure is 75. Overnight temp is 68 to 70. I have various thermometers placed throughout enclosure and move as needed.

◦ Humidity - Ranges from 40 to 80% throughout the day depending on when I mist, fully open the drip and I’m still playing around with the new Fogger. I have thermo/hygrometers placed throughout the enclosure.

◦ Plants - yes, I have 4 live plants. I have one pothos, something similar to a pothos and 2 ground cover/climbing vines. I considered taking the unknowns out but she has not shown any interest in eating them at all. I also have a 16 inch deep planter filled with organic potting soil to serve as a nesting bin that I keep moist but not wet.

◦ Placement - when we first brought her home, she was in my bedroom with more “traffic” and a ceiling fan for 3 days. I then moved her to the “office” where I keep the tortoises in their enclosure across the room and keep the door closed at all times. The kids and other animals are not allowed in and I’m the only one who goes in to feed/water her. I closed the ac vents and turned the ceiling fan off. Her enclosure is on a 3 foot high table and I placed a beach wrap around the back and part of two sides. I have not been doing any studies in there to try to let her relax and adjust.

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located? We just recently moved to Greeley, Colorado. I’m not yet used to adjusting to the conditions here with my tortoises and other pets.

Current Problem - My Sleesta is very unhappy and stressed. She is not interested in any other food besides mealworms, no matter what I seem to try. She was much more outgoing when I first brought her home. Rarely ever flashed black or ran away. Now dark and black seem to be her color. She tolerates me fairly well, but I try not to handle her. Since I’ve starved her in an attempt to coax her into eating anything besides mealworms, she is weak and very stressed. After me feeding her mealworms again the past couple days, she has regained her strength but is still continually black in color. The fog machine seems to be stressing her out as well. She is just finishing up shedding. This is the first time she’s shed since I’ve had her, but I’ve only had her a month. It seemed to be uneventful and quick. I’m not familiar with chameleons at all so any advice is welcome and greatly appreciated. I want my girl to be happy and thrive with us!!! Thank you in advance!!

Does anyone have any thoughts on my girl just being gravid and this all could be somewhat normal behavior??? When I first brought her home she was super outgoing, walking all over me without any dark color shifts. She was a very bright with a pinkish light coral color. Then about 2 weeks later she became extremely dark, runs away. Won’t eat, well that’s always been a problem, but isn’t eating much even when I do give her the mealworms she seems to love. She’s been pretty active the past couple days again.

What makes you say she is getting weak or how can you tell? I've read somewhere that they can go for a couple weeks or more without eating. I'm not saying you should starve her for that long, just that sometimes they go on hunger strikes. Chams can be stubborn (obviously). As far as her age I wouldn't be able to help with that. As far as her being gravid, I'm not sure either. If she went to lay and caught you watching her she will abandon her lay bin and could possibly become egg bound. A vet visit is always a good idea.

What makes you say she is getting weak or how can you tell? I've read somewhere that they can go for a couple weeks or more without eating. I'm not saying you should starve her for that long, just that sometimes they go on hunger strikes. Chams can be stubborn (obviously). As far as her age I wouldn't be able to help with that. As far as her being gravid, I'm not sure either. If she went to lay and caught you watching her she will abandon her lay bin and could possibly become egg bound. A vet visit is always a good idea.
Hello,
Thank you for your help. She appeared weak to me because she was laying with her body on the vine, not elevated like she normally does. She was missing some of her strikes when I did give her mealworms again. After feeding her mealworms again she started actually holding her body up and moving around more. Her whole demeanor just changed to what I would consider depressed. I was mostly concerned about the color change with it being such a drastic black. When I feed her mealworms she brightens up to coral and black then goes back to a dark black when she’s done eating. I really want to get her off these mealworms but I’m just not sure of what else to do. Also, if she was around 6-9 months old, would a healthy chameleon undergo a hunger strike? Is that healthy for growing bodies? Thanks again for all your help. I really appreciate it

My boy is 9 months old and has gotten pretty picky lately. He went on a hunger strike which had me very concerned. I'm not sure if there are any underlying issues with your cham, but in regards to the mealworms, why don't you try to switch it up to superworms instead?
Superworms look similar enough to mealworms that she might try to eat them and they won't hurt her like mealworms.
They sell them at most pet stores. Mealworms can be harmful and may cause impaction. Has she been pooping lately? I'm wondering if maybe she's impacted already... I don't know much about the subject but I looked up impaction symptoms and this is what came up:
  • No poo for 4+ days, despite regular feeding
  • Straining to defecate, without result
  • Bloating/swollen abdomen
  • Refusal to eat
  • Paralysis of the back leg(s)
Any of the veterans have any comments?

My boy is 9 months old and has gotten pretty picky lately. He went on a hunger strike which had me very concerned. I'm not sure if there are any underlying issues with your cham, but in regards to the mealworms, why don't you try to switch it up to superworms instead?
Superworms look similar enough to mealworms that she might try to eat them and they won't hurt her like mealworms.
They sell them at most pet stores. Mealworms can be harmful and may cause impaction. Has she been pooping lately? I'm wondering if maybe she's impacted already... I don't know much about the subject but I looked up impaction symptoms and this is what came up:
  • No poo for 4+ days, despite regular feeding
  • Straining to defecate, without result
  • Bloating/swollen abdomen
  • Refusal to eat
  • Paralysis of the back leg(s)
Any of the veterans have any comments?
Thank you so much for your information. Funny thing, just this morning she started chowing down on all the food I offered her. Even beetles. Crazy girl. She is still dark in color, but her appetite is suddenly back. So strange to me. She’s been pooping normally now that she is eating again. And I do have supwrworms for her. I feel they are a bit big, but she is able to eat them and will eat them on occasion. Thank you again!!

Thank you so much for your information. Funny thing, just this morning she started chowing down on all the food I offered her. Even beetles. Crazy girl. She is still dark in color, but her appetite is suddenly back. So strange to me. She’s been pooping normally now that she is eating again. And I do have supwrworms for her. I feel they are a bit big, but she is able to eat them and will eat them on occasion. Thank you again!!
When was the last time she laid eggs?

I just got her so I’m not sure. She still hasn’t laid eggs and I am unable to palpate any. She is still dark in color but doing great. I’m not really sure why she is still dark in color
When I feed her, she turns her coral color with barely any black. But once she’s done eating, she turns black again. Any ideas?

Back
Top Bottom