New chameleon owner open to advice

Firsttimeowner

CHAMELEON INFO:

Your chameleon: male veiled chameleon, age is unknown pet shop said about 5 months give or take. Has been in my care for 2 days.

Handling: I’ve handled once in those two days

Feeding: Dubia roaches, fed him 5 medium to large roaches but he only ate 1-2. Tried feeding him again today 10 small dubia roaches but he hasn’t touched them. The schedule is every other day. Gut loading with apples, potatoes, greens.

Supplements: tropical calcium supplement by “Thrive” Dusted both days. Other supplements include rep-cal phosphorous free calcium with vitamin D and “repashy superfoods calcium plus lo d”

Watering: I use a reptirain every 12 hours for 1 minute and also spray with a gardening mister as needed as well as a little dripper. I have seen my chameleon drink.

fecal description: in the two days I’ve had him I haven’t seen any poop. He has not been tested for parasites.

History: Got him from LLL reptiles in store.

CAGE INFO:

Cage type: 2x2x4 Reptibreeze screen cage

Lighting: T5 HO reptisun linear lamp. Flukers 8.5 in diameter lamp 65 watt for basking.

Temperature: 73f- 85 f. Lowest overnight temp around 60f. I measure my temps with a thermometer gun.

Humidity: my levels are 45-70% and I’m creating these levels by misting, live plants, and covering 3 sides of my enclosure with plastic table wrap.

Plants: Dracaena michiko

Placement: Placed in the middle of my room and enclosure sits almost 6 feet and 3 inches off the ground.

Current problem: Wooden piece I had in started growing mold so I took it out
7C67E66A-0409-485A-BF8F-FE999B03863E.jpeg
1A438104-B49E-40DD-9AF1-1DE3A1A2AB10.jpeg
1B7832B8-65A9-42BF-80C5-09E4D0EC9050.png
7C3C128F-FD99-4C7B-9E3E-61E933D73D73.jpeg

Hey there! Welcome to the forum.
Great job on your enclosure, you're off to a good start. It's awesome to see that you have a good size cage and a good UVB setup. Also, awesome that you opted for live plants! Believe it or not, this part of the hobby can be fun too :)

I have just a few suggestions:
Increase your misting sessions for 2-3 minutes. You want to make sure there is enough time to trigger your cham to start drinking.
Add more branches! Your cham will want lots of places to climb around.
How often do you plan on swapping out those towels/ what is the reason you have them in there? These could get moldy/ become a bacteria breeding ground as well. Glad to hear you took the moldy wood out of the enclosure.

Lastly, are you sure he is a boy? If you aren't sure, take a side-view photo of his back feet.

He's very cute! You are doing very well and off to a great start. My chameleon is about 5 months as well, not completely sure but on size its a give or take as well lol. I feed mine every day and give him 5 food items. normally you start rotating them to a every other day feeding schedule when they are about 6 months. As long as you are giving him calcium every feeding and are going to give him d3/multivitamin 2x a month you seem all set!

Back
Top Bottom