New Chameleon Owner Needs Help!

WannabeBreeder

Hey there everyone, just recently got my first chameleon and I am running into a bit of trouble.
Info:
Veiled Chameleon
Baby (not sure how many months but only 4 in long)
Bulb was 10 Watts, now is 100 watts
I have 2 crickets in the cage and 1 wax worm (The stores super worm stock was all dead and dried out it was bad and i was trying to coax him to eat so im only giving him this one)
I don't have a set schedule for misting yet due to bulb changes, I did it yesterday as needed to keep the humidity 60-80% for long enough to have water dripping from the leaves

Cage is 12"x12"x~36"

Since I bought my chameleon yesterday he went up to his perch point (under a bulb that was too low of wattage for heat but I went out and got a new one recently), and started shedding (I feel bad hes uncomfortable being in a new home and shedding on top of it!) Anyhow, he has not moved since yesterday around this time. Not even to drink water or eat. And its not a I'm out of the room not seeing him move. he stayed in the same spot ALL night long while i was sleeping.
It (not sure on gender) looks at the food and notes it but does not come down.

Is it possible hes not able to get off his perch? I have the vines connected to the screen top of my cage via fishing line.
I know they can go days without eating when acclimating to a cage but how long is normal for not drinking water?

They should be drinking daily. If not, that could pose a problem. Has it moved or drank since Sunday when you posted this?
Yes ! He (or she I still cant tell im leaning towards a she) has been moving around, drinking water off of leaves AND eating (out of my hand and the crickets i have laying around its cage for mid meal snacks)
He or she also has moved between its perch and bottom of the cage and is currently sleeping in the umbrella plant I put in there to help hold humidity

I really think it was just an adjustment period for the baby, now that s/he is done shedding and has been in the cage for a couple days it's a lot more confident to walk around.

Also another question, I gutload the crickets using Flukers Calcium Diet and Calcium Quenchers, must I also dust them with calcium? And, are supplements also needed?

Also another question, I gutload the crickets using Flukers Calcium Diet and Calcium Quenchers, must I also dust them with calcium? And, are supplements also needed?
Hi @WannabeBreeder welcome and congratulations on you new baby :). You want a better gut load . Bug burder is good you would need to order it , Or you can make your own . If you post some pics of hind feet we can tell you if you have female or male . If you do have felmale you will need a lay bin .

Hi @WannabeBreeder welcome and congratulations on you new baby :). You want a better gut load . Bug burder is good you would need to order it , Or you can make your own . If you post some pics of hind feet we can tell you if you have female or male . If you do have felmale you will need a lay bin .
I will post Hind Feet pic as soon as s/he moves onto her perch shes in her umbrella plant still, When you said Burder did you mean to say Burger? I googled it and all the results said Bug Burger.

20170329_115653.jpg 20170329_115649.jpg 20170329_115646.jpg
Is that bump the tarsul spur or some sort of heel?

I would be able to help with gender identification, but there isn't a clear picture of the hind feet (I know it can be hard to get a good pic!).

My feeders get a variety of fresh food and dubia chow or cricket crack. I'm not super familiar with the bug burger, but either way I would think having fresh veggies/fruits would be a good thing to provide in addition :)

I would be able to help with gender identification, but there isn't a clear picture of the hind feet (I know it can be hard to get a good pic!).

My feeders get a variety of fresh food and dubia chow or cricket crack. I'm not super familiar with the bug burger, but either way I would think having fresh veggies/fruits would be a good thing to provide in addition :)
I will work on getting a better picture of his hind feed, hopefully from the sides. S/he was on his way up to his perch last I checked They sure make a slow go of it sometimes lol

The bug burger and cricket crack is very similar ;). Sometimes cricket crack is unavable .

I got a few more angles for you guys to check out
20170329_130550.jpg 20170329_131159.jpg

Also, what fruits are recommended for crickets? I know for veggies i can use carrots and collared greens i just want to know which fruits pack the most nutrition

Also, what fruits are recommended for crickets? I know for veggies i can use carrots and collared greens i just want to know which fruits pack the most nutrition
First I would say, read through the care sheet for veiled. You have a girl. there is no tarsal spur that I can see. You will need to read up on a lay bin. She will need one as females will lay eggs without being mated.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/

There is also a section in the resources tab that has nutrition, in that there is a list of foods that can be used for gut loading.

Please read through the care sheet and follow it to the letter. You mention a heat bulb but what about UVB?

At night, they do stay in the same spot. NO heart light at night. The drop in temps is good for them and the light will disrupt their sleep pattern. She should not be sleeping during the day at all.

Read through the care sheets and then come back with any more questions you might have. (y)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/
This is the care sheet - a list of veggies and fruit will be listed .
You have a little girl congratulations . She will produce eggs mated or not . It's very important that you have a lay bin set up for her . They can lay as early as 6monh I have read 2 cases on here at 4month . If she does not have a place that's adequate to lay she will become egg bound and that's fatal . I love her feet she looks like she has mittens on ;).

Back
Top Bottom