New chameleon owner needs guidance.

Jojo43

Hey all,

first time cham owner and first time to the forum. Looking for advice/insight whatever help I can get to keep my buddy chuck living as long as possible.

I have a 4month old male panther, raised from 1month old. Currently living indoors in a 18x18x36 screen cage. New 24x24x48 cage is on its way, and should be here within the next few days.

I have a 12” 5.0 UVB bulb and a separate heat bulb that seems to keep him warm, happy and temperatures at least around 80 in his basking spot. Also keep a humidifier next to the cage

diet is mainly crickets, Dubia roaches, and super worms. I have been gutloading roaches and crickets with repashys super food. I also have calcium and vitamins that I dust insects with. Calcium maybe 3 times a week, vitamins 1 time a week.

I have a single nozzle monsoon mister that sprays one area of the cage. From what I have read on this site, I inspect his poo and the white part is usually always nice and bright white which I have read means he’s getting plenty of water..?

Well, there is my situation. Also to answer any of those questions early.
Now here are my questions and concerns for those who have the knowledge.

1. New cage, Is a dripper the best way to get a chameleon water? Or dripper and mister to be safe?

2. He has been moving around a lot! If he’s not climbing on the cage he is actually walking on the base of the cage. Does this mean he’s ready for a larger living area? ?? I have read this might be a bad sign if his health.

3. Food, Lately he barley eats.. maybe 1-3 worms a day. Hardly pays attention to roaches anymore.? This worries me the most. Maybe just a growing age, but he used to eat out of my hand like 5-10 roaches/worms a day. Now he barely has interest and food in his bowl last for multiple days. I tried to give him horn worms but he was not interested and didn’t even attempt(Unless I grew them too big).

Thanks to all who read this and have any advice. Coolest pet ever, but I am constantly concerned for his well being?. I uploaded a pic. Thanks again??

Chameleons for life!??

Attachments

• A132F6F5-1C36-42B3-A2B1-4F311C05F9EF.jpeg
    A132F6F5-1C36-42B3-A2B1-4F311C05F9EF.jpeg
    270.4 KB · Views: 106
Hey all,

first time cham owner and first time to the forum. Looking for advice/insight whatever help I can get to keep my buddy chuck living as long as possible.

I have a 4month old male panther, raised from 1month old. Currently living indoors in a 18x18x36 screen cage. New 24x24x48 cage is on its way, and should be here within the next few days.

I have a 12” 5.0 UVB bulb and a separate heat bulb that seems to keep him warm, happy and temperatures at least around 80 in his basking spot. Also keep a humidifier next to the cage

diet is mainly crickets, Dubia roaches, and super worms. I have been gutloading roaches and crickets with repashys super food. I also have calcium and vitamins that I dust insects with. Calcium maybe 3 times a week, vitamins 1 time a week.

I have a single nozzle monsoon mister that sprays one area of the cage. From what I have read on this site, I inspect his poo and the white part is usually always nice and bright white which I have read means he’s getting plenty of water..?

Well, there is my situation. Also to answer any of those questions early.
Now here are my questions and concerns for those who have the knowledge.

1. New cage, Is a dripper the best way to get a chameleon water? Or dripper and mister to be safe?

2. He has been moving around a lot! If he’s not climbing on the cage he is actually walking on the base of the cage. Does this mean he’s ready for a larger living area? ?? I have read this might be a bad sign if his health.

3. Food, Lately he barley eats.. maybe 1-3 worms a day. Hardly pays attention to roaches anymore.? This worries me the most. Maybe just a growing age, but he used to eat out of my hand like 5-10 roaches/worms a day. Now he barely has interest and food in his bowl last for multiple days. I tried to give him horn worms but he was not interested and didn’t even attempt(Unless I grew them too big).

Thanks to all who read this and have any advice. Coolest pet ever, but I am constantly concerned for his well being?. I uploaded a pic. Thanks again??

Chameleons for life!??

Welcome! I’m new as well, so take what I say with a grain of salt and wait for some of the more experienced keepers weigh in but...IMO

1. More options are always better. Best to have a mister and dripper, but sounds like whatever you’re doing is keeping your chameleon hydrated.

2. This very well could mean he’s not happy with his living conditions, whether that’s the size or other possible things. Get him in the bigger cage ASAP and see how he responds.

3. He could be boycotting and waiting for you to give him a specific food item or could be other issues going on. You initially said diet is mainly crickets, but didn’t mention it in your third question.

Otherwise, you’ll probably want to answer one of the questionnaires that are always being posted in different threads so the community can better assist you. Especially around your lighting and supplementation routines. I’ll try to find it and post it unless someone else gets to it first.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

◦ Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

◦ Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?

◦ Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

2 Photos can be very helpful

Thanks, prince of Duval for your quick response.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?

Male panther, 5 months old

maybe twice a month. Only when I clean cage.

◦ Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?

-crickets(3week), dubia roaches(1/2”), super worms(1.75”), Phoenix worms.
I have a small plastic cup towards bottom of cage I usually put insects in.
I usually feed 1 different insect per day. 1 day 5-10 roaches(1/2”) in cup. Next day maybe 3-4 super worms(1.75” he eats no problem). Crickets I just smack on egg crate, maybe 10-15, 3week crickets. These crickets just run around the cage and hang out in areas that chameleon seems to hunt down. Gut loading repashys with roaches and crickets but I have not established a farm yet. Just feeding 200count containers small amounts.

◦ Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?

Zoo Med reptivite and repticalcium.
I don’t always follow because insects are stubborn(crickets especially!!) but calcium 3 times a week and vitamins 1 time a week.

◦ Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?

I have a monsoon single mister. Thinking about getting a dual nozzle for bigger cage.?
16 secs every 2 hours. Yes I see him licking a bunch of leaves for water.

pretty solid dumps! Regular, every morning. Dark brown nugget with a bright white part on top.
Cham never has been tested for parasites.
Good question, I was wondering about. If I do need to check his health, do you take your champ to a vet? Or a more specialized fieldworker?

Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

◦ History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

◦ Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?

-Zoo

◦ Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?

-Zoomed 5.0UVB “and separate ZooMed heatlamp.
7am-7pm

◦ Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?

-the highest I have measured basking spot was at 87. At floor was around 71.
At night temp goes down to around 68-70. I have a temperature sensor I leave in cage and move around depending on what time I want to check

◦ Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?

I do not have humidity sensor. I keep a humidifier next to cage. not on full blast but at least slow, moderate levels.

No live plants. Would like to add to be larger cage. What species of plant would be best for my situation.?

◦ Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
-
Not near vents, or fans, high traffic yes, I have 2 small kids that love to look at him.
height is roughly 60” off floor. 36” cage on top of a 30” stand.

Los Angeles, CA.

lack of eating, and current watering habits compared to new larger cage.?

thanks again in advance to all!

pictures to follow!

--------------

Please Note:

1 The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.

Chameleon Info:

◦ Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?

Cage Info:

--------------

Please Note:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 78
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    214.7 KB · Views: 70
  • 1AE5A0F4-5584-455E-B04A-15D3BB7B368B.jpeg
    1AE5A0F4-5584-455E-B04A-15D3BB7B368B.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 83
Back