New chameleon owner- need advice.

Somechic2018

My son(20) has owned mostly geckos since he was about 9. He decided he wanted to finally get a chameleon. We went to a reptile show and spent 2 hours or so talking to various breeders (all who said theirs were captive bred) and he finally decided on a little female Jackson’s. I also fell in love with her immediately! We got her all set up and after having her for 4 days something we were not prepared for happened…we woke up and suddenly had 9 chameleons! I’m super stressed about having babies and making sure I do everything to ensure they survive. They are about 4 days old and seem to be strong and active. My questions are 1. About late morning to early afternoon they all seem to find a spot and go to sleep, is this normal? 2. I don’t want to handle them and stress them out but how do I know they are all getting enough to eat? Any advice from anyone who has experience with babies would greatly be appreciated.

My son(20) has owned mostly geckos since he was about 9. He decided he wanted to finally get a chameleon. We went to a reptile show and spent 2 hours or so talking to various breeders (all who said theirs were captive bred) and he finally decided on a little female Jackson’s. I also fell in love with her immediately! We got her all set up and after having her for 4 days something we were not prepared for happened…we woke up and suddenly had 9 chameleons! I’m super stressed about having babies and making sure I do everything to ensure they survive. They are about 4 days old and seem to be strong and active. My questions are 1. About late morning to early afternoon they all seem to find a spot and go to sleep, is this normal? 2. I don’t want to handle them and stress them out but how do I know they are all getting enough to eat? Any advice from anyone who has experience with babies would greatly be appreciated.
Aww what a surprise!

Sleeping during the day is not normal for any chameleon. Lighting, temperature , over crowding or health may be a factor.
Lets get you started with some links to look at and go from there.

Thank you so much for all the links especially the podcast! They all helped tremendously. One baby didn’t make it but I think she had something wrong from the start, her tongue didn’t roll out like it should have. The rest are doing well since each has its own enclosure now. They are hunting, eating, not sleeping during the day.

In the podcast it said not to use a basking light on babies because they get dehydrated easily so I took away the basking light. When do I start using it again? Since it’s summer their cage usually stays between 78-80 during the day and 70 at night.

Thank you so much for all the links especially the podcast! They all helped tremendously. One baby didn’t make it but I think she had something wrong from the start, her tongue didn’t roll out like it should have. The rest are doing well since each has its own enclosure now. They are hunting, eating, not sleeping during the day.

In the podcast it said not to use a basking light on babies because they get dehydrated easily so I took away the basking light. When do I start using it again? Since it’s summer their cage usually stays between 78-80 during the day and 70 at night.
What an amazing surprise! This forum's members give great advice so welcome!

Back
Top Bottom