New chameleon owner help needed!!

korinamck

Hello I've had my veiled chameleon around 3 weeks she's 4 months old....wasn't eating a lot at first but then seemed to pick up but recently I bought some chrickets rather than locusts and she ate one had no problems then the 2nd she spat back out! She's been opening her mouth and gagging! Not constantly but a few times as a new owner I'm really worried! I have seen her drinking but not loads! I really am not sure what to do can anyone help!

Hello I've had my veiled chameleon around 3 weeks she's 4 months old....wasn't eating a lot at first but then seemed to pick up but recently I bought some chrickets rather than locusts and she ate one had no problems then the 2nd she spat back out! She's been opening her mouth and gagging! Not constantly but a few times as a new owner I'm really worried! I have seen her drinking but not loads! I really am not sure what to do can anyone help!
Hello,
The only thing I can think of is how big are the crickets? If they are bigger than the space between her eyes, she could gag and choke on them. This could be the issue. Would you be able to take photos of your chameleon and cage? It could help determine if it something else.
As for the drinking, it's not uncommon for veileds to not be seen drinking much. You need to inspect the urate part of the poop to see if she could be dehydrated. If it is white or mostly white she is getting enough water. If it is really orange you may need to increase misting in morning or evening or fogging overnight. Or provide a dripping water source during the day.
This is all I can think of to help. You may get some more feedback from others.

Hi and welcome. Can you post some pics of your chameleon and tell us more about your care of her? What type of uvb do you use? Supplements? Temps and humidity levels? Maybe post a pic of her enclosure too. Then I have to ask about the size of the feeder she spit out/gagged on. Was it smaller than the space between her eyes?

Hello,
The only thing I can think of is how big are the crickets? If they are bigger than the space between her eyes, she could gag and choke on them. This could be the issue. Would you be able to take photos of your chameleon and cage? It could help determine if it something else.
As for the drinking, it's not uncommon for veileds to not be seen drinking much. You need to inspect the urate part of the poop to see if she could be dehydrated. If it is white or mostly white she is getting enough water. If it is really orange you may need to increase misting in morning or evening or fogging overnight. Or provide a dripping water source during the day.
This is all I can think of to help. You may get some more feedback from others.
Thanks so much for your reply....I've been using 3rds? The smallest ones I can find! I'll send pictures now....I've been out and bought some locusts and she's had no problems eating these so maybe just the first time I've fed her crickets? Again many thanks

Attachments

• 16682627529328013598877223243357.jpg
    16682627529328013598877223243357.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 68
Hi and welcome. Can you post some pics of your chameleon and tell us more about your care of her? What type of uvb do you use? Supplements? Temps and humidity levels? Maybe post a pic of her enclosure too. Then I have to ask about the size of the feeder she spit out/gagged on. Was it smaller than the space between her eyes?
Hello and thanks for your help! I've been giving her 3rds the smallest I can find! I've tried wax worms and she has zero interest....I've been and bought some locusts these are what I usually feed her so maybe it was just the crickets? I'll send pictures now....thanks again

Attachments

• IMG-20221111-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20221111-WA0008.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 16682629307546227660994164018469.jpg
    16682629307546227660994164018469.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 54

Attachments

• IMG-20221111-WA0008.jpeg
    IMG-20221111-WA0008.jpeg
    182.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-20221102-WA0041.jpeg
    IMG-20221102-WA0041.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 16682630572528446854343531654538.jpg
    16682630572528446854343531654538.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 49
She seems to be eating fine today not spitting out but she's a very dark green could she possibly be shedding?
Usually right before shedding they get this powdery and almost grey look to them. Your enclosure looks ok, but I wonder about temps and humidity. You’ll want basking temp to be no higher than 80F and a temp drop at night is ideal. Humidity during the day should be between 30-50%. Having a glass enclosure that may (or may not) be a challenge. If you are struggling to keep it low enough, make sure ventilation is above adequate and maybe put a small muffin type fan to draw air from the enclosure to boost air flow. For the eating/spitting out, has she been tested for parasites?

Good morning no she hasn't been tested she's been doing a choking looking thing today like she has something stuck in her throat! I did see a similar video someone posted on here but hers was sticking its tongue out....mine isn't doing that....someone also commented about my plants beeing eaten is that a problem? I'm just so worried I don't want anything to happen to my little rango

Are you able to get a video of her doing the choking thing? To post it here, it first needs to be posted to another platform like Instagram or YouTube and then here you post the link. I would definitely take her to a good vet with experience treating chameleons and have a fecal check done along with general wellness. Veileds like to nibble at their plants, which is why it’s important to have only safe clean live ones. Have you removed the locusts that we’re eating the plants? You really want to be careful that no feeders stay roaming around her enclosure. I’m not sure about locusts, but I do know that crickets will try eating your chameleon at night if they have nothing else to eat. I would advise using something like a tall deli cup to hold her bugs in her enclosure - tall enough that they can’t easily jump out, but she can shoot her tongue into to get them. How heavily are you dusting the feeders and with what? You should be just giving a light dusting. You don’t want them to look like snowmen. You should be using a phosphorus free calcium without D3 at every feeding. Then twice a month for each - a multivitamin and a D3. If those aren’t correct, that can effect just about everything in her little body. From what I can see it does appear that your uvb light is the correct T5HO. What strength is the uvb bulb? While it has nothing at all to do with her swallowing, she will be needing a much larger enclosure soon. The minimum standard for an adult is 2x2x4’ or equivalent. They like/need height to feel safe and secure. I see your substrate. Is it fully bioactive with isopods and such? If not, you’ll want to add those along with a good layer of leaf litter. I also hope there’s a good barrier between the clay balls and the substrate. When they dig to lay their eggs, they dig all the way down to the bottom and the balls may not only confuse her, but they could pose a potential risk for injury. Even something like a screen should help to separate the layers.

Good afternoon sorry for the delayed reply....I'll send u a picture of humidity and temperature I tried to get a video in time to post but had no joy

Attachments

• 16684404254305462839821085910458.jpg
    16684404254305462839821085910458.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 45
Back
Top Bottom