New Chameleon Owner - Gravid, Eggbound, or Neither

Hey all, brand new chameleon owner here. Her previous owner had to move to the states for work, so she asked if I would be willing to take her. I’ve only had her for a few days, but I’m concerned she might be eggbound. When I went to pick her up there was no laying bin in her enclosure, which I’ve since added (approx 10”x15”x10” of 50% reptile soil and 50% topsoil for a money tree I put in). I’ve been feeding her 5-7 gutloaded (oranges) crickets a day, with calcium w/o d3. Also bought calcium with d3 and a multivitamin, waiting to give her those less frequently though. The owner said she was 2 years old and very healthy. She’s been eating well, so I’m not sure if she’s early into being gravid and just chunky, or if she’s eggbound and given up on trying to lay.

Her enclosure is about 18” by 30” by 30”, which I know is on the small side. She had a small UV-B bulb which I’m going to replace with a linear one. She has a mister which I run for a minute or 2 three times a day.

My main concern is that she may be eggbound. She’s very large and somewhat lumpy, but when I feel her sides I don’t feel any hard lumps at all. The other thing I’ve noticed is that she appears to be “stuck” in the middle of shedding, and there’s a strange patch of skin on her right side near her neck (photo attached pointing out what I mean).

Thanks in advance for any/all help, I can provide more pictures/info it it would help.
7E2DC287-6C06-436B-B6A2-A3AEBC27C69B.jpeg
B90BA389-E717-4E7C-AB47-32DECABBBE31.jpeg
389C1F40-371A-4B9D-8A77-31CA7D4D67F4.jpeg
447561FA-A83F-471B-BA50-3CB6D83B1344.jpeg
BACDA77D-8F43-4F92-9042-8AD3CF6669AA.jpeg

If she is gravid and from the looks of it she is. Where is her lay bin? And her privacy so that she isn’t stressed while try to lay. Also your husbandry needs some work. Get her a lay bin 1 part play sand 3 parts organic soil and wrap her cage so you can’t see her and she can’t see you.

Last edited:
If she is gravid and from the looks of it she is. Where is her lay bin? And her privacy so that she isn’t stressed while try to lay. Also your husbandry needs some work. Get her a lay bin 1 part play sand 3 parts organic soil and wrap her cage so you can’t see her and she can’t see you.
Her lay bin is in the left side of the picture of her enclosure. And I’ll get the soil in it sorted ASAP and cover her with a bedsheet. Thanks for the advice, really appreciate it.

Welcome to the forum!

She definitely looks like she's very gravid. Hopefully she's not eggbound yet...but it's possible. Has she been digging at all?

I would remove the substrate from the cage...Sophie could ingest it. What's in the front corner of the lay bin?

Signs of egg binding include but are not limited to sleeping in the daytime, sitting low in the cage, lethargic, phantom digging, etc.

Welcome to the forum!

She definitely looks like she's very gravid. Hopefully she's not eggbound yet...but it's possible. Has she been digging at all?

I would remove the substrate from the cage...Sophie could ingest it. What's in the front corner of the lay bin?

Signs of egg binding include but are not limited to sleeping in the daytime, sitting low in the cage, lethargic, phantom digging, etc.
She hasn’t been digging at all, she’s checked out her laying bin (walked around the rim) and that was it.

Ill definitely take the substrate out. I’ve seen a ton of conflicting info about it, previous owner used the coconut husk substrate so figured I would keep doing the same, but I’ll remove it tonight. I got a plant called string of turtles, it’s non toxic. I wanted to cover the rim of her clear laying bin, when crickets got into it she would try to catch them through the plastic, so I figured a natural plant would be a good way to cover up the plastic so she wouldn’t try to eat through it.

Shes been fairly active throughout the day, I’d say about 1/2 the time she’s under her lamp and the other half she’s climbing around. Definitely not sleeping through the day, and she’s very lively if we try to pick her up. She’ll happily climb on me and eat crickets/superworms, both from my hand and free roaming.

Thank you for your advice! Really appreciate it.

You can see the little egg lumps by her rear legs. I am still quite new to chams and reptiles, but that spot by her neck almost looks like scar tissue. I also wonder about the small bumps along her side in the first pic and the way that right side sticks out in some of the other pics...broken ribs??? An experienced member will be able to tell you much more than I.

You can see the little egg lumps by her rear legs. I am still quite new to chams and reptiles, but that spot by her neck almost looks like scar tissue. I also wonder about the small bumps along her side in the first pic and the way that right side sticks out in some of the other pics...broken ribs??? An experienced member will be able to tell you much more than I.
New or not any advice is appreciated! Yeah she definitely looks very lumpy, not sure if those are eggs/ribs or if she does have a broken bone. I know the previous owner at least was good at giving her calcium, but with the little coiled UVB bulb she probably wasn't getting enough.

You’ll need a T5 with either a 5% or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb for her. Best thing to do when they are laying is give them privacy, but at the same time discretely monitor them. Attaching feeder and gutloading sheets for you...you’ll want variety of both. Is possible a cricket bit her at some time in the past causing that scar-like spot. If you leave any crickets in her enclosure, make sure to leave a little something in there for them to eat so they won’t try to eat your cham.

9B35476B-9E5F-4EEB-AE05-E645D6A22BE3.jpeg
FB9610D1-1D48-4909-9E30-7AAB3913C348.jpeg

You’ll need a T5 with either a 5% or Arcadia 6% uvb bulb for her. Best thing to do when they are laying is give them privacy, but at the same time discretely monitor them. Attaching feeder and gutloading sheets for you...you’ll want variety of both. Is possible a cricket bit her at some time in the past causing that scar-like spot. If you leave any crickets in her enclosure, make sure to leave a little something in there for them to eat so they won’t try to eat your cham.

View attachment 257013View attachment 257014

Actually just ran out on my lunch break to grab her a new Reptisun 5 UVB light! Got the 12", so Ill put that over the areas shes in most often, then keep the current UVB bulb on top of her cage as well to get hopefully close to 100% coverage. That scar makes sense though, I actually have just been letting the crickets loose in her cage to eat (5-8 at a time) so I'll definitely put something in there for them to munch on. So far I've been gutloading with a little piece of orange, dusting with calcium every feeding, then I have a calcium/d3/multivitamin mix I'm going to do once every two weeks.

I wrapped a towel around the side/top of her enclosure, hopefully gives her enough privacy to do her thing! Also got some moss to scatter inside of her lay bin, was told it would help the tunnel to hold up.

Thanks for taking the time, fingers crossed she gets through it okay!

Back
Top Bottom