New Chameleon, Now I have a Question!!!

Zoey

Okay so today i was browsing online and someone was selling a 1.5 year old male veiled chameleon so OF COARSE I called and went out to look at him and fell in LOVE, I mean he was BEAUTIFUL.

Anyway, I have a 8 1/2 months old female veiled chameleon and ever since the male was placed in the same room, about 2-4 feet away from her cage, she is ALL puffed out and she's a med green with dark blue spots on her body, and she is just staring at the celing.

The Male, has been in the top most corner of his cage since he was brought here, not doing anything in particular, he is not the least bit fazed by the other chameleon.

So my question, will my female eventually calm down with the new arrival? is it safe for them to be out of the cage together?

One more JUST for me, as I have never been sure on it, what age is OKAY to breed the females?

Last edited:
there should be some kind of partition so they can't see each other, unless you are breeding them. otherwise they are solitary animals. the general rule of thumb i think is 1 year for breeding, maybe someone with more breeding experience can help you there.

Okay

They have to be kept in the same room, but should/would a blanket draped over part of one of the cages help with the seeing thing, so that they can't see each other? Or do you think eventually she will just get over it? I would like to breed them, but she's too young still so.. like yeah.

They have to be kept in the same room, but should/would a blanket draped over part of one of the cages help with the seeing thing, so that they can't see each other? Or do you think eventually she will just get over it? I would like to breed them, but she's too young still so.. like yeah.

nope. she won't get over it.
In fact, some chameleon will get stressed overtime and eventually die of sickness due to stress.
Chameleon, again, hates to see another chameleon in vicinity.
So, definitely get some partition so that they both will be unaware of each other's presence.

You can keep them in the same room.. just be sure they don't realize it.

what I do is keep my cages next to each and put a poster board inbetween the shared side...make sure that if you do this that the heat lamps are at least 6-inches or so from that side to make sure the posterboard wont catch on fire!

Side by Side............

The side by side cage situation works well for me too. I have partitions made of the same material the cage bottom is made of. They can't see each other at all that way.

I attribute this to age... but I have taken my two male veileds out of their cages and place them within two feet of each other. The only reaction from either one is the little guy kinda gets a panicked face and tends to kinda hide himself. The older male doesn't even give the little guy a second look.

I only have done this twice and I only put them that close for a minute or so to see if either will react.

I keep my guys across the room from each other. I use to keep them blocked from seeing each other when they were closer. It seems if they are pretty far apart then they do not feel threatened. They only get upset when they are out of there cages and see each other.

Okay Thank you. They are right beside each other now with a sheet in between the cages. They seem not to mind it at all.

Lol, mine is always mean.=( its sad because I would like to do more with him.

Yeah we used to be able to take our female out all the time, now you even go to touch her and he acts like she is going to strike. Our Male we were told that he opens his mouth, he hisses, he acts like he is going to strike but he never does, and guess what, he really doesn't lol. I wish more people were honest.

Yeah we used to be able to take our female out all the time, now you even go to touch her and he acts like she is going to strike. Our Male we were told that he opens his mouth, he hisses, he acts like he is going to strike but he never does, and guess what, he really doesn't lol. I wish more people were honest.

Lol, My striked at me yesterday, me being used to it I luckily pulled my hand out of the way. I sprayed water on him even more and left.

Back
Top Bottom