New chameleon little foot falling asleep a couple hours before lights are out

Is it normal for chameleons to wake up a little before lights come on and go to sleep early? I just bought her yesterday and I've noticed her doing this. It's not afternoon sleeping, it's like around 4pm that she is going to bed, the schedule i have for my other chameleons is 7pm bedtime. Do they sometimes take time to adjust from pet store schedule? She has been eating and basking, haven't gotten her to drink yet, she may not be thirsty.

I'm not extremely concerned however input from more experienced keepers with a wide range of chameleons would help, perhaps you've seen this behavior in healthy chameleons. Thank you.

I say pretty normal, i have the same problem. My old one that I've been having for a year now goes to bed 6pm and the new baby i bought 4 weeks ago goes to bed early like 3.30-4 and wakes up earlier too. They're just adjusting. However keep an eye out for her drinking water. How are the urates?

I say pretty normal, i have the same problem. My old one that I've been having for a year now goes to bed 6pm and the new baby i bought 4 weeks ago goes to bed early like 3.30-4 and wakes up earlier too. They're just adjusting. However keep an eye out for her drinking water. How are the urates?
I haven't seen her pass any yet, i fed her a mid sized dubia roach (gutloaded) coated in calcium today and yesterday fed 2 small uncoated dubia roaches and a mid sized roach undusted. I've tried offering water twice with no takes. I'm looking forward to her first bowel movement to make sure her fecal matter and urates look right.

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. I figured this was the case but will continue to monitor.

Mine wonders to the "sleeping stick" around 4, and lights out isnt till 8. Even when its dark outside at 5pm, and lights out at 8, still at the sleeping stick around 4.

I wouldnt worry about water. Ive seen my chameleons drink like 4 times in their lives for certain individuals. Just monitor poop. should be mostly white, with a bit of orange before it turns to poo section.

Is it normal for chameleons to wake up a little before lights come on and go to sleep early?
It's not abnormal. My panther is a bit of a party animal. He usually beds down at least an hour before lights-out, but last night he was still sitting on his basking branch when the lights turned off (I happened to be watching). Sometimes he's up when the lights come on—other times not.

I just bought her yesterday and I've noticed her doing this. It's not afternoon sleeping, it's like around 4pm that she is going to bed, the schedule i have for my other chameleons is 7pm bedtime. Do they sometimes take time to adjust from pet store schedule? She has been eating and basking, haven't gotten her to drink yet, she may not be thirsty.
Yes, but usually resolved within a week. I would set her timers where you want them, and she'll adapt fairly quickly.

She may have drunk the first time you weren't looking (if water was available). Shy drinkers are not uncommon.

I'm not extremely concerned however input from more experienced keepers with a wide range of chameleons would help, perhaps you've seen this behavior in healthy chameleons. Thank you.
Is there some reason you think she is not healthy? 🤨

It's not abnormal. My panther is a bit of a party animal. He usually beds down at least an hour before lights-out, but last night he was still sitting on his basking branch when the lights turned off (I happened to be watching). Sometimes he's up when the lights come on—other times not.

Yes, but usually resolved within a week. I would set her timers where you want them, and she'll adapt fairly quickly.

She may have drunk the first time you weren't looking (if water was available). Shy drinkers are not uncommon.

Is there some reason you think she is not healthy? 🤨
No, I just prefer to prepare for the worst case scenario - it's in my nature. Overall she seems pretty chill/fine. I just get worried with eye closing because it can mean a few different things, and in cases where chameleons are sleeping/eye-closing because of some underlying issue it's too late.

There isn't anything particularly that has happened that would lead me to believe she will suddenly die, but I'm just a worry wart. Thanks for humoring me.

Back
Top Bottom