New Chameleon Just Popped Up

KingLove

Hello all!!! I am super excited to be posting for the first time because I have been trying to wait for the right question that I cannot answer myself by searching the forum or chameleon academy hahaha. So I have been planning my enclosure the past few weeks and decided to randomly check craigslist- someone is offering a dragonstrand atrium with all the equipment (proper lighting and mistking) AND a 2 yr old male ambilobe(?) panther for 600 USD total. My questions are these: Should I do it? I was really looking forward to raising my own baby, but this would allow me to have the ultimate setup for this cham and any future ones to follow. Also, what questions should I ask him if I decide to go through with it?

Hello all!!! I am super excited to be posting for the first time because I have been trying to wait for the right question that I cannot answer myself by searching the forum or chameleon academy hahaha. So I have been planning my enclosure the past few weeks and decided to randomly check craigslist- someone is offering a dragonstrand atrium with all the equipment (proper lighting and mistking) AND a 2 yr old male ambilobe(?) panther for 600 USD total. My questions are these: Should I do it? I was really looking forward to raising my own baby, but this would allow me to have the ultimate setup for this cham and any future ones to follow. Also, what questions should I ask him if I decide to go through with it?
Ask them the important questions off the help form.
Lighting type and schedule? How often has it been changed? Supplement type and schedule? Feeding routine? Fecal check?
Also get photos of the chameleon to check for things like mouth sores or MBD.

Ok, I will ask those. Should I ask specifically for pictures of its mouth along with more pictures of the whole animal (he provided one)?

Ok, I will ask those. Should I ask specifically for pictures of its mouth along with more pictures of the whole animal (he provided one)?
Not necessarily. If it seems like he has been taken good care of, then that's a great deal.

Yeah, the setup looks great, and he is selling it to make space for other breeding projects so it seems like he is an experienced reptile keeper

My questions are these: Should I do it?
If all is as represented, it's a good price IMO. (y)
Should you do it? Heck if I or anyone else knows! Only you can/should answer that for yourself.

Also, what questions should I ask him if I decide to go through with it?

From the Resources section:
Review these features and behaviors to help ensure the chameleon you are interested in is healthy.
  • A healthy chameleon should be active in its environment and standing up rather than laying on its perch.
  • The chameleon should be able to move about the cage with good balance without falling or stumbling.
  • The eyes should be full, open at all times and actively looking all around.
  • The arm and leg bones should all be straight, toes should all be intact and the chameleon should have a strong grip.
  • Skin should have vibrant coloration all over the body and all the spines on the back should be present.
  • Patches of shedding skin are normal if present.
  • The tail should be able to grasp branches and curl up smoothly.

The symptoms below are possible signs of illness. Unhealthy chameleons should not be purchased except by very experienced owners.
  • Sleeping during the day at all.
  • Sunken or swollen eye turrets.
  • Laying on the bottom of the cage.
  • Legs that are bent, curved, appear to have multiple joints or have swellings at the joints.
  • Wrinkly, crusty or dry skin, bumps, cuts or bruises, or patches of abnormal colored skin.
  • Blood at the mouth, swollen jaw, or jaw that doesn't align properly.
  • A tail that cannot curl or is black at the end.
  • Falling off branches, having a weak grip, stumbling or appearing very clumsy.
and...
Signs of a healthy chameleon:
  • A healthy chameleon should be active in its environment and be standing up rather than laying on its perch.
  • The chameleon should be able to move about the cage with good balance without falling or stumbling.
  • The eyes should be fully open at all times and actively looking around to monitor its surroundings.
  • The arm and leg bones should all be straight, toes should all be intact and the chameleon should have a strong grip.
  • Skin should have nice vibrant coloration all over the body and all the spines on the back should be present.
  • Patches of shedding skin are normal if present. The skin is shed periodically depending on age and growth rate.
  • The tail should be able to grasp branches and curl up smoothly.
Symptoms of an unhealthy chameleon:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/health/
[There are several links worth perusing]

Additionally, I think it would behoove you to review the Resource sections on Purchasing A Chameleon and Chameleon Health before making this purchase. ;)

Good Luck! 🤞

You could also post the photos he sent here. The keepers on here can spot stuff you may have missed when looking at the photo.

this price is a great price just for the dragon strand not to mention all the extras.👍🏻

Well right now he has someone who has it on hold, but if something falls through he will let me know. Back to planning I guess

Thanks for all the immediate help, it is super welcoming here and I am excited to get my first cham one way or another haha

Oh man I’m sorry. You will find just the right cham. Sometimes awesome deals on Craigslist are just to good to be true. You may have saved your self in the end.
glad your here and hope you stick around 👍🏻

Back
Top Bottom