New Chameleon Healthy?

Sydneymorell

Is my new chameleon healthy? She is shedding a bit by her legs. Earlier I came into our spare room where her enclosure is (which is completely closed so my dog or cat cannot enter) and she was very dark. I figured maybe she just didn’t want me around because she was getting used to her enclosure as I got her about 3 days ago. Came back just now and she’s still a bit darker. Is this normal?
I have the Arcadia D3 6% uvb coming in, for now I just have a smaller one from the pet store. Just wanna make sure she’s okay!
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 2C060451-1BAF-48EA-A1D1-B53BFC7C852C.jpeg
    2C060451-1BAF-48EA-A1D1-B53BFC7C852C.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 84
From the Resources section:
A Healthy Chameleon

healthy chameleon

Review these features and behaviors to help ensure the chameleon you are interested in is healthy.
  • A healthy chameleon should be active in its environment and standing up rather than laying on its perch.
  • The chameleon should be able to move about the cage with good balance without falling or stumbling.
  • The eyes should be full, open at all times and actively looking all around.
  • The arm and leg bones should all be straight, toes should all be intact and the chameleon should have a strong grip.
  • Skin should have vibrant coloration all over the body and all the spines on the back should be present.
  • Patches of shedding skin are normal if present.
  • The tail should be able to grasp branches and curl up smoothly.
An Unhealthy Chameleon
Unhealthy Chameleon

The symptoms below are possible signs of illness. Unhealthy chameleons should not be purchased except by very experienced owners.
  • Sleeping during the day at all.
  • Sunken or swollen eye turrets.
  • Laying on the bottom of the cage.
  • Legs that are bent, curved, appear to have multiple joints or have swellings at the joints.
  • Wrinkly, crusty or dry skin, bumps, cuts or bruises, or patches of abnormal colored skin.
  • Blood at the mouth, swollen jaw, or jaw that doesn't align properly.
  • A tail that cannot curl or is black at the end.
  • Falling off branches, having a weak grip, stumbling or appearing very clumsy.
This list is not complete, but may give you an idea.
See also: Chameleon Health

For an assessment, copy/paste this questionnaire into a post (or start a new thread), and include a picture of your entire enclosure from the lights down to the floor.

Is my new chameleon healthy? She is shedding a bit by her legs. Earlier I came into our spare room where her enclosure is (which is completely closed so my dog or cat cannot enter) and she was very dark. I figured maybe she just didn’t want me around because she was getting used to her enclosure as I got her about 3 days ago. Came back just now and she’s still a bit darker. Is this normal?
I have the Arcadia D3 6% uvb coming in, for now I just have a smaller one from the pet store. Just wanna make sure she’s okay!
Thanks in advance!
She is beautiful

Are you aware that if veiled females are overfed once they are nearing sexual maturity they will most likely produce large clutches of eggs and likely develop MBD and reproductive issues?

Last edited:
Are you aware that if veiled females are overfed once they are nearing sexual maturity they eill most likely produce large clutches of eggs and likely develop MBD and reproductive issues?
Yes I’m aware I should cut back on her feeding soon. She is 3-4 months right now or so I’ve been told. Do i need to cut back now? she ate 3 crickets today. Is that a lot for her age?

Three is not a lot for her age. She's not old enough to cut back yet. Do you feed her every day still?
Yes! I try to feed her as much as she will eat. She is very new. I have only had her for 3 days. I have crickets, super worms, and wax worms. I put 3 crickets in this morning, and she ate one. Took them out because I was going to work, came back fed her and she ate two! Wasn’t interested in the super worms today, although she ate two super worms yesterday.

She looks great! Sometimes they go darker to absorb more heat, it's normal. There are no signs of illness, her eyes are not sunken and there is no evidence of MBD so I wouldn't worry, especially if her colors are changing.

Back
Top Bottom