New Chameleon Gender

pinkmaggit

Hey guys!
So I am a new owner of a Panther Chameleon! He/she is very healthy and beautiful. I am not new to owning reptiles as I have owned many geckos, lizards, and snakes in the past but nothing tropical so I may have some questions later on. But so far, I haven't had any issues creating a great environment for my new friend!
Anyways, my chameleons' name is Haku and is somewhere between 4-5 months old (according to the pet store I bought him/her from). They also told me that Haku was a male but I've done quite a but of research and I am honestly not sure if Haku is male or female! I ill try and attach a picture so maybe you guys can give me some input, thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20150614_205819675.jpg
    IMG_20150614_205819675.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 272
my first impression is that "he" is a she. males show a modest bulge right behind their vent even at this age. Your pic was pretty good pic to see the area. that magical area seems to be pretty flat and smooth. Do you search and you'll see a bunch of threads that discuss exactly what you are asking about.

Congratulations on your new panther. You have a very beautiful female there. I don't see any formation of a bulge at the base of the tail and her colors are very typical of females around that age.

Thanks guys! Yeah that's what I thought as well.
Too bad that the pet store informed me wrong but I will love her just the same!
I've heard that females are harder to care for though because they have special needs as far as laying their eggs go, is this true?

Is there a thread anywhere that talks about identifying gender differences? I'm looking to buy one soon but I was told that they have not been identified, so I can get a male or female. The ones I'm looking at are about 3-4 inches and all are a pale color. I'm really hoping for a male because I don't think my inexperience with reptiles will work in my favor with a female. Thanks!

Is there a thread anywhere that talks about identifying gender differences? I'm looking to buy one soon but I was told that they have not been identified, so I can get a male or female. The ones I'm looking at are about 3-4 inches and all are a pale color. I'm really hoping for a male because I don't think my inexperience with reptiles will work in my favor with a female. Thanks!

I used this blog, as well as the good people on here to sex my lil dude
http://www.muchadoaboutchameleons.com/2013/04/male-or-female-how-to-sex-baby-panther.html

Back
Top Bottom