New chameleon enclosure

So a reptibreeze? Those seem to be the only ones of size.

Im a little confused, as both of those enclosures are recommended by reptile shops, they're selling them specifically for Chams.
minimum cage size for them your looking at is a 2x2x4ft. You could get away with the size of the one they are selling because you have a female but lights inside cages is bad.. Few reasons here. Chams reach for everything so high burn risk. But the biggest thing is the UVB output of T5 bulbs. You put that inside a cage say it is a 6% strength bulb or a 5.0 you need a full 11-12 inches to the branch below for the levels to be correct for the cham so that it is not overexposed to high UVI levels. So now your 3 ft cage only has 2ft of usable space. They are arboreal so taller cages with useable space is what they need. Now this one comes with a T8 10.0 bulb so lower output then a T5 however you would need to buy a solarmeter 6.5 and see where your highest branch could safely go. Looking for a 3 UVI level. I do not have the exact measurements for a T8 without a screen barrier because most of us do not use them in the US.

You live in Wales and these cages are very very common there but it does not make them good for chams. The other thing I really hate about these cages is the venting... There really is not much to create clean airflow. So you end up with stagnant air that they are breathing. Not good for a cham.

Start reading this it will help you alot https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Not available within the UK from what I can see. US only, so that's not a viable option.

Code:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234079070860?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

That's a reptibreeze setup (complete). Size dimensions would fit, and comes with vines/branches and UVB/UVA lights.
Size Demension are I’m us so I can’t see the page? U would be looking at for a min of 2ft by 2ft by4ft

Size Demension are I’m us so I can’t see the page? U would be looking at for a min of 2ft by 2ft by4ft

Zoo Med ReptiBreeze Screen Cage Extra Large 61x61x122cm Chameleon Mesh Flexarium

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.14.15.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.14.15.png
    858.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.14.29.png
    Screenshot 2021-09-12 at 22.14.29.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 80
So the Cham, I was told is 3-4 months old, but as all the eggs hatch at the sametime, she's not perhaps as old/strong as the other ones? Again, i'm not sure on the validity of all that.
A good breeder should & will provide you with both clutch lay date & hatch date.
Yes, there can be size differences even with chams from the same clutch who hatch on the same day. Clutches aren't like identical twins/clones—they're more like fraternal siblings, so anything goes with DNA combinations.

I knew a bigger enclosure was required, and this is the one i've been reviewing;

24 x 18 x 36″ Chameleon Setup​

That's still too small in two dimensions. You want the largest you can afford, but at least 24 x 24 x 48 (alternatively 36 x 18 x 36), but preferably 48 x 24 x 48.
https://chameleonacademy.com/panther-chameleon-care/

• 24 x 18 x 36″ Wooden Vivarium (Available in Oak or Black)
  • 4 x Extra Vents (for a total of 8)
  • T8 18″ 10% UVB Bulb
  • UVB Controller
  • Reflector
  • AnalogueThermometer
  • 2m Bendable Jungle Vine
  • 2 x Large Plastic Plants
View attachment 309935
An 18" T8 UVB is inadequate; you want one that runs the width of the enclosure.
Also, T8 is old tech; T5 is more powerful, more efficient, and will last longer than a T8.

Most all T5 fixtures come with integral reflectors. Virtually all are made in the same factory regardless of what brand/name is printed on them, so shop for price.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/uvb.182147/#post-1659879

Analog instrumentation is notoriously inaccurate; digital hygrometers/thermometers with probes are better all-around.
analog vs digital hygrometer for reptiles
I recently got 5 for around $15. I got these because both sets of numbers were LARGE enough for me to see.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08Y6CYVT9/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The fake vines & plants are also counterproductive (waste of money). Live plants & vines only.
Live plants help increase and maintain humidity.

I've never used a UVB "controller" which I suspect is just a timer—possibly with a dimmer feature.
I just use a cheap timer on the UVB, but set to come on an hour after lights-on, and go off an hour before lights-out. This is because early morning and late afternoon, the Sun has much more atmosphere to penetrate, and UVB is very weak. Shortening the "UVB day" has the added benefit of extending the UVB life for up to 2 months.

1631625330961.png

Some here use smart plugs and/or other gadgets.

ve_viva_arboreal_small_black-v1-80-80.jpg

Vivexotic Viva+ Arboreal Vivarium - Small Black 57.5x49x91.5cm​

Above is another option for the enclosure.
Again, too small.

With regards to gut feeding, can I buy the feed already gut fed, or do I just need to do that myself?
In all but a very few cases (e.g. BSFL), you'll need to do that yourself. Some folks just gutload constantly (S.O.P.) so feeders are always ready. I find this easier than having 2 separate feeding regimens. YMMV.

Last edited:
So after all the advice and help, we've completed the enclosure upgrade as of today. Here are the pictures, we will be adding live plants over the weekend, and removing the plastic ones, but it's hopefully a move in the right direction. I'd be happy to hear what everyone thinks.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    216.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    377.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    372.2 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    205.2 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    240.2 KB · Views: 65
So after all the advice and help, we've completed the enclosure upgrade as of today. Here are the pictures, we will be adding live plants over the weekend, and removing the plastic ones, but it's hopefully a move in the right direction. I'd be happy to hear what everyone thinks.
Great start another easy way u can upgrade it is to add horizontal sticks across the whole thing

Read through this it will really help you understand how to provide what the cham needs. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Bark in the bottom needs to be removed. UVB should come more toward the center of the cage. And depending on the type and bulb strength will need branches at a certain distance below it. As mentioned already horizontal branches.

Back
Top Bottom