New Cham

Red Bishop

Here is my new veiled. My son has named him Godzilla:D. Just wanted to show him off and see if anyone had any recommendations. I have had him for two days now and he eats one cricket out of the 5 that I put in the feeder (modified milk jug) and then takes off. Is this just because he is getting used to his new home? Also, saw him poop once and it was very wet with yellow in the middle. I read this means that he is dehydrated.

Here are some stats:
65 gallon reptarium
Reptisun 5.0 18"
Heat Lamp
Live plant - a schefflera
Fake jungle vines
Feeder (modified milk jug with screen) - Crickets at this point. Gut loaded with Flukers Orange Cubes. I just read that this isn't enough. I will be adding some veggies. I think the crickets may be getting too much time in the cage before being eaten as well.
Jurassi-Cal phos and D3 free calcium - daily
Reptivite vitamin - plan to use 1 - 2 x per month. I haven't used this yet.
Basking temp/rh = 83 F / 57% rh (flukers digital thermo/hygrometer)
Cool section of the cage = 72 F / 40% rh
Misting manually every 2 - 3 hours for about 5 minutes. Afterword, I use a cup as a dripper. Drips for about 20 minutes (approximately 2 drips per second)

Pics

Last edited:
Welcome little Godzilla! So far everything sounds and looks good with your setup. It usually takes them a few days to adjust. He may not be used to cup feeding, so you may want to try free ranging a few crickets. I tried cup feeding but could never get any of my chams into it, although they will all hand feed. 3X times a day for 5 minutes would probably be fine, especially since you have the dripper going. As for the yellow poop, I would give him a few days. If he was shipped he probably just needs some drinking time. Good luck and welcome! Where did you get your little cham from?

LLLReptile.com. I read good things. They did overnight him. I also have a couple of free range crickets, but he doesn't go for them. 65 gallon is probably too big for him, so I wanted to setup the feeder. Thanks.

In my opinion he'll get used to the feeder and it is a good way to feed
young chameleons as you can better keep track of what they are getting.
He doesn't look dehydrated to me and as long as you keep up the misting and he is drinking he should be fine.
Give him a little time....once he gets comfortable, watch out!
At that age they eat like crazy!

-Brad

I haven't seen him drink. Although once he did shoot his tongue out at a leaf. He doesn't really seem bothered with the misting either. I spray around and over him and he doesn't run to get out from under the water. I haven't seen him go in the direction of the dripper.

One other thing. I noticed what looks like some mold on the soil of the plant. Is this because it is seeing too much water in the soil? Should I cover the soil with plastic?

Brad,

I saw your 2 liter bottle feeder on your link and will be using that concept. I hate the idea of having a cut up milk jug. It looks like a cut up milk jug!!

Here is my new veiled. My son has named him Godzilla:D. Just wanted to show him off and see if anyone had any recommendations. I have had him for two days now and he eats one cricket out of the 5 that I put in the feeder (modified milk jug) and then takes off. Is this just because he is getting used to his new home? Also, saw him poop once and it was very wet with yellow in the middle. I read this means that he is dehydrated.

Here are some stats:
65 gallon reptarium
Reptisun 5.0 18"
Heat Lamp
Live plant - a schefflera
Fake jungle vines
Feeder (modified milk jug with screen) - Crickets at this point. Gut loaded with Flukers Orange Cubes. I just read that this isn't enough. I will be adding some veggies. I think the crickets may be getting too much time in the cage before being eaten as well.
Jurassi-Cal phos and D3 free calcium - daily
Reptivite vitamin - plan to use 1 - 2 x per month. I haven't used this yet.
Basking temp/rh = 83 F / 57% rh (flukers digital thermo/hygrometer)
Cool section of the cage = 72 F / 40% rh
Misting manually every 2 - 3 hours for about 5 minutes. Afterword, I use a cup as a dripper. Drips for about 20 minutes (approximately 2 drips per second)

Pics
hi i've just brought a lizard today the shop keeper has given me a glass cage do you think this is suitable i've read it is very stressfull

Everything I have read points to No on the glass cage deal. Of course, as you can see from my post, I am a newbie to chams.

Simon,

It really depends on the animal you got, your particular set-up, etc.
That being said....excellent ventilation is absolutely crucial to most
arboreal reptiles, hence the recomendation to house them in a screen enclosure.
You need to let us know what species you aquired before anyone can give good advice.

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom