New cham question

Kenidi

I just got a new ambanja yesterday and so far he seems to be doing ok. He's eaten a few crickets and basked a bit, and explored a little. Yesterday on the ride home and while I made some adjustments to his cage, he sat on my hand or my hubands hand and was a very pretty blue, and seemed pretty calm...no puffing growling etc. I noticed almost as soon as he got into his cage though, his bars started to get darker, and turned a light black color. I thought it might have to do with stress associated with his new home, and being in unfamiliar territory. As soon as he woke up this morning, he was blue with the black bars still, until I opened his cage door and he crawled onto my hand and all the black bars were gone, and he was back to a cheery blue!

I'm not really under any disillusions that he loves me or anything like that, but it is making me think he may not like his cage very much.

His cage is about 60% larger than the enclosure he was in with the breeder, the temps are 72-85 (85 at the basking area), and the humidity goes from about 80 when misted, to around 50 right before the misters go off. He has a reptisun 5.0 linear bulb on the same schedule as the basking light (12 hour cycle). The cage is misted 4 times a day, for 3 minutes each time, and it dries out completely in between mistings. He has a large schefflera, and a small pothos taking up about 2/3 of his cage, and quite a few BioVines making different angle and height climbing areas in the back, front, and sides of the cage. Everything seems to be alright, but he just doesn't seem to like it very much :( Is there anything I can do to help him warm up to it?

I just got a new ambanja yesterday and so far he seems to be doing ok. He's eaten a few crickets and basked a bit, and explored a little. Yesterday on the ride home and while I made some adjustments to his cage, he sat on my hand or my hubands hand and was a very pretty blue, and seemed pretty calm...no puffing growling etc. I noticed almost as soon as he got into his cage though, his bars started to get darker, and turned a light black color. I thought it might have to do with stress associated with his new home, and being in unfamiliar territory. As soon as he woke up this morning, he was blue with the black bars still, until I opened his cage door and he crawled onto my hand and all the black bars were gone, and he was back to a cheery blue!

I'm not really under any disillusions that he loves me or anything like that, but it is making me think he may not like his cage very much.

His cage is about 60% larger than the enclosure he was in with the breeder, the temps are 72-85 (85 at the basking area), and the humidity goes from about 80 when misted, to around 50 right before the misters go off. He has a reptisun 5.0 linear bulb on the same schedule as the basking light (12 hour cycle). The cage is misted 4 times a day, for 3 minutes each time, and it dries out completely in between mistings. He has a large schefflera, and a small pothos taking up about 2/3 of his cage, and quite a few BioVines making different angle and height climbing areas in the back, front, and sides of the cage. Everything seems to be alright, but he just doesn't seem to like it very much :( Is there anything I can do to help him warm up to it?

JUust make sure he has plenty of hiding places and you give him time and space. he should eventually calm down.

I had rearranged some vines yesterday so he will have a bunch of hiding spots, he just doesn't seem to go into them lol. He likes to be by the door of the cage jst in case it get opened lol. I will give him some space for sure. Thanks

My male ambilobe did that and still does a bit... Its just a stress factor he will come out of after doing all of his exploring of his hiding spots... I had a cage MUCH bigger than his original and for a few days I was really nervous about how he was acting but now he is pretty proficient about going through the cage... I have a cat too so my panther gets a LOT of hiding practice ;)

Back
Top Bottom