New Cham parents! Filled all this out curious on thoughts!

Chameleon Info:
◦Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? Ambilobe panther chameleon! 1 week in our care today! He's about 3 months old

◦Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? Not really at all currently trying to get him acclimated at home first!

◦Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? I am feeding him Crickets mainly he doesn't seem to like any kind of worm at all... I've tried meal worms, super worms, and horn worms now he didn't eat any of those! I am gut loading my crickets with carrots and kale and supplementing the calcium (No D3) every other day and multivitamin once every other week and sticky tongue farms every other opposite week.
◦Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Rep cal herptivite multivitamin, reptivalcium, sticky tongue farms miner-all.
◦Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Fog machine goes off every hour 7 minutes and misted 3 times a day. Also a dripper for water.
◦Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? Has not been tested brown poop little white on the end
◦History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
◦Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? Screen cage 16x16x36
◦Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? 50 watt light bulb and 5 percent uvb
◦Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Always measuring temp top is low 80's mid is mid 70's and lower is lower 70's
◦Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? About 65% humidity reptifog machine
◦Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Bromeliad and peperomia blanda var. floribunda
◦Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? In our bedroom corner not very high traffic and about 5 ft off the floor total
◦Location - Where are you geographically located? Northern California, Santa Rosa

Welcome!!
Here are some things I noticed in your help form..
I'm sure some of the more experienced members here will also chime in :)

1) Is the uvb linear or compact?
The linear uvb is crucial.

2) How long are the 3 mistings a day?
They should be a minimum of 2 minutes each.

3) A Hygrometer measures humidity. And it is a necessary thing to be sure you know what your humidity levels are in his enclosure.

4) mealworms are not ideal to feed chams...their exoskeletons can cause impaction.

I hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
Congratulations on the new cham, and welcome!

I didn't notice anything wrong about anything you've said.
If you haven't already, click on the "Resources" tab for tons of general care information, and these slides have some pretty good information on them too. Just compare what you're doing to the general advice, and if you have any specific questions, don't be afraid to ask.
(Idk where these slides came from, I think that I downloaded them from a post by @Brodybreaux25 ))
Basic Feeder pic.jpeg Gutloading 101.jpeg Supplements pic.jpeg UVB lighting pic.jpeg nonUVB pic.jpeg

As @GodricktheVeiled said, mealworms aren't that great for chams to eat because they're mostly just chitin, so it's kind of a good thing he doesn't care for them.

Also, Superworms and Hornworms are probably way too big for him for now. My chameleon isn't much older than yours, and the largest thing he's eaten was a wax worm that was about an inch long (and afterwards, he was full).
Black Soldier Larvae (Phoenix Worms) and Medium sized Dubia roaches are probably the perfect size for him, and most reptile shops/pet stores will have them.

Welcome to the forum... Cage looks great. Few notes you will need to get a bigger cage within the next few months. 2x2x4 is recommended. I would get some exo terra jungle vines for additional grip sized and put more throughout the top portion of your enclosure. Basking should be about 8 inches or so from the top where the lights are. With the UVB lighting you will find that the amount of UVI drops significantly the lower you get in the enclosure. So the farther away the less UVI until it is too far down and there is none. A solarmeter 6.5 comes in handy for checking your levels and checking your bulbs to make sure it is still producing. They are expensive though. I would be careful about running the fogger so much because the cage is not drying out completely with it running every hour. You can wrap the sides and back with a plastic curtain to retain humidity. I have also read that when you run a fogger for extended periods of time with the lights on that the Cham can develop an RI. Typically foggers are used at night. Have a listen to this podcast. Bill Strand with Dragon Strand does them. There are many in there that you might like as well but this one specifically is on naturalistic hydration. https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/podcast/ep-89-naturalistic-hydration-for-chameleons/

Back
Top Bottom