New Cham owner here

I just want to state that you are a very good chameleon parent. You are taking everyone's advice, and later on going to have a great home for your little chameleon
I second this! Many of us started out like you with all of the wrong stuff. Being so open to advice and following thru on it is the most important thing you can do to help your little man. :)

I just want to state that you are a very good chameleon parent. You are taking everyone's advice, and later on going to have a great home for your little chameleon. I was sure he was a girl at first glance, but if he has spurs then that indicates a male.

Make sure you are misting his cage frequently, and maintaining his temperature and humidity. As scary as it sounds, chameleons can go days, and some can even go weeks without eating.. chameleons will not starve themselves.

What are you using for supplements? And are you gut loading his food now? His eyes do look pretty sunken in, in your picture. That would lead to dehydration, but you said you see him drinking a lot?

He looks like a good size for growing, for his age. Maybe a little on the small side?

In my opinion, I would recommend adding some branches to the top, and throughout the enclosure. You can get these branches literally off of just trees, scrubbing them, and then letting them dry in the sun. You could attach these by mainly anything, but fishing line works the best for me. Just make sure to keep his basking area far away enough from the heat lamp, so he wont get any burn marks. And always if possible use real plants. I am attaching a photo of what plants work for chameleons.

I hope your little man gets better soon, update us with his new terrarium, and how he is doing!

View attachment 303301View attachment 303302
Ah Yes! So.. I noticed that he’ll eat if he’s outside. Today, he ate a calcium-dusted cricket 😁 We gotta get more though.. I was so happy when his calcium came in! He loves the tree outside and I’ll get him some branches right away! I didn’t know you could get them from your yard. I was so worried lol. Thanks for all your help, guys. Amazon said his new cage is supposed to come in the next few days, so I’ll post updates 😁

Hey @Beman ...it's a boy!! Nice call! That's good because of the MBD.

Info:
-Sam is a male veiled chameleon and is about 6-7 months old. He’s been in my care for about 5 months.
-when I first got him, I’d handle him quite often which, from what I’ve read, isn’t good, but I was new and happy lol (still am!)
-I feed him feeder crickets from a pet store my brother-in-law gets for his bearded dragons. When I first got him, I’d feed him 3 or 4 every night and I didn’t gutload them...TOO BAD YOU DIDN'T FEED THE INSECTS AND GUTLOAD THEM WELL...IT MIGHT HAVE HELPED.
- I used calcium powder when I first got him, but then ran out and didn’t get anymore (I know, terrible thing)....ITS LIKELY A GOOD PART OF WHY HE HAS MBD NOW....SADLY.
-Tp water him, I spray his cage with a spray bottle every 2 to 3 hours. I must his cage whenever I come in the room lol. I do see him drinking, he loves his water.

Cage info:
-It’s a glass cage with a screen top that’s 2’x 2’, I believe.
- I don’t remember the brand of lighting I’m using, but it’s a 40 watt household bulb in a hood fixture. I didn’t have much of a lighting schedule until yesterday, which I turn the light on at 10am and off at 10pm. SO JUST AN INCANDESCENT HOUSEHOLE BULB...NO UVB NO REAL SUNLIGHT? ANOTHER PART OF THE MBD ISSUE.
- I measure the temp with a temp gauge for aquariums and the average is 65-75 degrees, I believe.. It’s got a meter that has a green section and I tend to keep it in that range. The temp at night is usually 60 degrees. SO NO BASKING AREA WHERE THE TEMPERATURE WAS AT 80F?
- I’m not sure of the humidity levels or how to measure them, although I must his cage frequently.
- As for live plants, I’ve recently put a bamboo stalk in there and he seems to love it!
- He’s been in my sister about 3 months because I don’t really stay in my room upstairs. It’s about 5 and a half feet from the top of the cage to the floor.
- Were located in Roanoke, Al.
I’m very new at owning a chameleon and joined these forums for help, not to be scolded like a child. So if you’re just gonna ask sarcastic questions and leave snyde comments about how I’m trying to raise him, then don’t comment on my posts at all then, thank you 😁

I definitely didn't scold you like a child and my questions were to get information. My comment to @Beman was meant as a sigh of relief because there will be no egglaying/reproductive issues involved.
I'm sorry if you took my post that way.
Good luck with your chameleon. Hope he recovers quickly!

I definitely didn't scold you like a child and my questions were to get information. My comment to @Beman was meant as a sigh of relief because there will be no egglaying/reproductive issues involved.
I'm sorry if you took my post that way.
Good luck with your chameleon. Hope he recovers quickly!
Thank you so

Back
Top Bottom