New Cham mom.

Hey everyone! I’m so happy to be a part of this community. I’ve wanted a Chameleon for a long time and finally became a Cham mom and brought my boy home on 6/26/2022. He is still young, although I’m not sure how young. I’m thinking 6-8 months? I will admit I made a newbie move and purchased him from Pets Mart. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I have an appointment for him at the vet next week just to check his overall health and make sure all is good. I’m hoping this community can help me a bit. When I first brought him home he didn’t eat much for a couple of days, totally expected that since this is a new place for him and needed time to adjust. But then his appetite seemed normal and he was eating about 8-10 crickets a day with little hornworms for treats. He was doing well with taking them from my hand. I do add potatoes, apples and oranges in with the crickets to gut load as well as the fluckers cricket quench. I dust with the calcium without D3 at every feeding and give him his multivitamin once a month. I’ve attached recent photos of Rex and his enclosure. He has all live plants in his enclosed, a high out put UVB light and heat lamp. Temp during the day is 82 and 71 degrees F lower in the enclosure. Humidity ranges from 44-52 during the day and 68-72 at night. I leave it dark in his cage in the evening. I mist 30 minutes before lights go on in he morning and 30 minutes after lights go off at night and also use a fogger for two minutes. I mist once in the afternoon as well. In the last week, I saw a couple of his droppings with more orange in them and he hasn’t been eating his food, not even from my hand. I’m really concerned and since I’m a new owner, I’m not sure if this is normal or not. He still roams around his cage and I’ve seen him drinking from his dripper. I do have a branch that I set up during the day so he can crawl onto it and observe me working. He was climbing out onto that today. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)

Attachments

• 2B00454B-64CE-40E2-9965-FDBAE0918DC2.jpeg
    2B00454B-64CE-40E2-9965-FDBAE0918DC2.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 82
  • 99EEAC82-7B0D-4B6E-8937-9283CEF96293.jpeg
    99EEAC82-7B0D-4B6E-8937-9283CEF96293.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 81
  • ECDB0C38-FA8B-4BB3-BD72-748B97914AD0.jpeg
    ECDB0C38-FA8B-4BB3-BD72-748B97914AD0.jpeg
    242.5 KB · Views: 80
  • C494F1EF-ABCE-4746-8F6B-4CEC725A4749.jpeg
    C494F1EF-ABCE-4746-8F6B-4CEC725A4749.jpeg
    290.7 KB · Views: 81
  • 5651938C-CA92-4213-BD2C-535DAD597D97.jpeg
    5651938C-CA92-4213-BD2C-535DAD597D97.jpeg
    218.4 KB · Views: 81
Hey everyone! I’m so happy to be a part of this community. I’ve wanted a Chameleon for a long time and finally became a Cham mom and brought my boy home on 6/26/2022. He is still young, although I’m not sure how young. I’m thinking 6-8 months? I will admit I made a newbie move and purchased him from Pets Mart. 🤦🏼‍♀️ I have an appointment for him at the vet next week just to check his overall health and make sure all is good. I’m hoping this community can help me a bit. When I first brought him home he didn’t eat much for a couple of days, totally expected that since this is a new place for him and needed time to adjust. But then his appetite seemed normal and he was eating about 8-10 crickets a day with little hornworms for treats. He was doing well with taking them from my hand. I do add potatoes, apples and oranges in with the crickets to gut load as well as the fluckers cricket quench. I dust with the calcium without D3 at every feeding and give him his multivitamin once a month. I’ve attached recent photos of Rex and his enclosure. He has all live plants in his enclosed, a high out put UVB light and heat lamp. Temp during the day is 82 and 71 degrees F lower in the enclosure. Humidity ranges from 44-52 during the day and 68-72 at night. I leave it dark in his cage in the evening. I mist 30 minutes before lights go on in he morning and 30 minutes after lights go off at night and also use a fogger for two minutes. I mist once in the afternoon as well. In the last week, I saw a couple of his droppings with more orange in them and he hasn’t been eating his food, not even from my hand. I’m really concerned and since I’m a new owner, I’m not sure if this is normal or not. He still roams around his cage and I’ve seen him drinking from his dripper. I do have a branch that I set up during the day so he can crawl onto it and observe me working. He was climbing out onto that today. Any advice is greatly appreciated! :)
Congratulations on your new addition!! He is so cute!!🥰 You and Rex are in good hands here! I am not an expert but I learn a ton from here and get to see all the beautiful chams.😉

You want to look behind the foot right where the toes meet. Would compare it to our heel. Thats where it would be. I also see no bulge. Believe you have a lady :)! Can also see the right angle on the left foot in picture. 90% sure female.

You want to look behind the foot right where the toes meet. Would compare it to our heel. Thats where it would be. I also see no bulge. Believe you have a lady :)! Can also see the right angle on the left foot in picture. 90% sure female.
😵 could this be why they aren’t eating as much all of a sudden? I don’t have a spot set up for eggs. I have a vet appointment set up next week because I’m concerned about the eating lately.

As for the orange urate, I had a similar issue with my boy. Took him to the vet and turns out he had parasites! He’s finished his treatment and is doing better now :)

Your veiled looks great! Chameleons are so exciting and fulfilling reptiles to keep.

As for the orange urate, I had a similar issue with my boy. Took him to the vet and turns out he had parasites! He’s finished his treatment and is doing better now :)

Your veiled looks great! Chameleons are so exciting and fulfilling reptiles to keep.
Danny, did you have to bring a urate sample with you to the vet? I’m so happy I finally have a Cham. He (I think) is the coolest! He doesn’t let me handle him at all right now. But hoping I can gain that trust over time.

Danny, did you have to bring a urate sample with you to the vet? I’m so happy I finally have a Cham. He (I think) is the coolest! He doesn’t let me handle him at all right now. But hoping I can gain that trust over time.
Yes! They gave me a little test tube like thing and I brought them back a sample. It was about $10 to have them test it and $12 for his dewormer.

Danny won’t let me handle him yet either. I’ve held him once or twice and it’s definitely not his favorite thing

Back
Top Bottom