New Cham Mom that needs some advice!

Kennedy

I just got my first vailed chameleon 2 weeks ago I think it’s a boy but I’m not sure. His name is Rango and I just want to make sure he seems healthy. He just had his first shed this weekend and still had some left on his feet I’m not sure if that’s normal or not. I can’t get him to eat unless I force feed him and I’m scared to put crickets in his cage because I think one bit him. Can anyone help?:)

I just got my first vailed chameleon 2 weeks ago I think it’s a boy but I’m not sure. His name is Rango and I just want to make sure he seems healthy. He just had his first shed this weekend and still had some left on his feet I’m not sure if that’s normal or not. I can’t get him to eat unless I force feed him and I’m scared to put crickets in his cage because I think one bit him. Can anyone help?:)

Hello and welcome. To assess husbandry please fill out this form. Also adding photos of the chameleon and setup is very helpful. l

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

^^ beat me to it

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new chameleon! Happy to help once you answer those questions and post pics.

When I got him I was not told any information about him I googled and found the most resembling pictures I could and I’m sure he’s a valued I took him to a pet store that I did not purchase him from and they think he’s around 2 months old the guy I talked to also said he thinks he’s a boy considering the “3rd toe” on his back legs. He’s been in my care for about a week maybe a week and a half now. The first week I did not handle him do to their very high stress levels but I have been getting him out maybe once or twice a day for him to roam around and get use to me. I feed him crickets and mealworms although he doesn’t really want to eat them I feed him about 5-6 a day in the morning before I leave so around 8 and in the evening around 9. I gutload my crickets with high calcium cricket diet and my mealworms already have food that Come in the container. I have a humidity and temperature thermometer in his cage I usually keep the humidity up to about 80% and his temp to about 82. I have a humidifier that’s on top of his cage that is constantly keeping the humidity at 80. No I’m not using live plants I am in the process of building him a new cage so I have not went and bought one yet. His cage is by my window where sunlight shines in throughout the day when I’m not home. I’m located in Indiana so we have some very bipolar weather?. The problem I’m most concerned about is if he is doing good and If I’m taking good enough care of him I want him to have the best life possible and I Google questions I have and I find all these different things and I never know what to do so I’m trying to ask the most experienced people I can:)

F1FA1606-DD1C-48C6-A7DD-AF88249DA86C.png
BFC971FE-14EB-4D5C-8E67-0770841CFB9D.jpeg
BFC971FE-14EB-4D5C-8E67-0770841CFB9D.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum, and congrats on caring enough about your new chameleon to try to do right by them.

A good place to start your reading is here.

Start reading all of the general husbandry docs and the care sheet for veiled chameleons. That should give you the basics, and there are lots of wonderful veil keepers here who can give you more specific answers and advice.

It's a long road, and one with lots of research, outlay of cash, and some inevitable failures along the way...but it's worth it to take this road to give our chosen pets the care they need.

Once you do a bit of reading, I would be happy to answer your questions about supplements and sheds, but let's get you started right and you may not have so many questions when you get through that.

I feed him small crickets we don’t have micro anywhere or I would feed him those and yes he does he has about an inch of water at the bottom of his cage and he loves drinking from that I have gave him 2 showers now because of his shedding and he also drinks from there. The humidifier gives off some water that he also likes to drink from too

It's not a good idea to let him drink from water on the floor of the cage. It will contain bacteria.

They are also dry shredders so shouldn't be sprayed in the hopes that it will help him shed.

If you put a small container of chopped up veggies in the cage the crickets shouldn't bite him.

Back
Top Bottom