New cham Iggy and looking for recommendations for live plants

RetroSquid

Hey there!
New to the cham family and Ijust wanted to say I'm quite happy to join
Now I have a basic set up and looking for recommendations for live plants.

any other helpful pointers lemme know!
all info is beneficial to help me raise Iggy in safe environment!

I provided more hiding areas and I'm still letting him set in, I try my best to not take him out of the cage or handle him much till I feel hes ready to trust me.
but as you can tell most the stuff I have gotten now is fake plants and Iwanna make that switch to live for him.
I also would like to know is it safe to put like a curtain on the sides of the cage?
I know this could affect the humidity and temp but Ihave to ask cause foot traffic does come through where Iam and although its not very often,
I do wonder if this stresses him out seeing people passing by.
and if anyone has any other options for food other then crickets would be nice! :D

iggy current setup.jpg

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

I have pothos, ficus, corn plant, and mini lemon/orange in my chams cages. If you find a plant that you like, you can always ask us to make sure it's non toxic. I use silkworms, dubia's, and locusts and sometimes waxworms for my chams diet

Also, If you could fill out this form that would be great so we can help you with other aspects if you need it?

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:
  1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Hi and welcome to the forums :)

I have pothos, ficus, corn plant, and mini lemon/orange in my chams cages. If you find a plant that you like, you can always ask us to make sure it's non toxic. I use silkworms, dubia's, and locusts and sometimes waxworms for my chams diet

Thanks for all the info! :D
I shall look up these plants asap!
and out of the food you listed which do you say you use the most?
is it mix and match?
My cham has been eating the crickets but i have to admit I don't enjoy the fact quite a few that bought are dead lol.

Thanks for all the info! :D
I shall look up these plants asap!
and out of the food you listed which do you say you use the most?
is it mix and match?
My cham has been eating the crickets but i have to admit I don't enjoy the fact quite a few that bought are dead lol.
Probably silkworms but they smell when they're dead lol ? gimme one sec and i'll find a sheet for you to look at which has all correct feeders. As I said fill out the form above tho it can rlly help us^^^

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, 2 months i think. 4 days?
  • Handling - only to put in his enclosure or to change something in his enclosure so very minimal
  • Feeding - Crickets and mealworms. I was told at the store to try to feed it 5-10. space them out every 3 hours, so 3 crickets or mealworms every 3 hours? I have not gutloaded yet. was looking at other sources of diet for the cham other then crickets or meal worms
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium from the starter i was given. if any others are required i would love to know and obtain asap.
  • Watering - I have ordered a little dripper and should be arriving but i have using a hand spray right now and i see him drinking from the fake leaves
  • Fecal Description - as to my knowledge about parasites I do not know should i get him checked?
    and so far his poops seem normal from what i have researched
  • History - hes a baby and the store provided no additional info to me but i am keeping in touch with the employee whom owns one to.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, medium size, 16x16x30
  • Lighting - 7:30 am to 7:30 pm, and the one the set came with is a reptisun combo lamp
    13 w reptisun mini compact flourscent lamp
    60 w daylight blue lamp
    if these need to be changed please tell me which lighting is better?
  • Temperature - floor is about 75 and basking spot is about 86? lowest temp i have recorded is 74? Digital thermometer
  • Humidity - 50-65? Repti fogger I have set up. Humidity gauge?
  • Plants - sadly all fake right now
  • Placement - corner of my room and traffic does come through here but not often I was initially concerned about this
  • Location - California
Current Problem - was concerned about how he keeps climbing on the screen (especially on top next to heat lamp) but since i added more hiding spots he seems to just hide and roam now, if it resumes i'll inquire about it again

Chameleon Info:
  • Handling - only to put in his enclosure or to change something in his enclosure so very minimal
  • Feeding - Crickets and mealworms. I was told at the store to try to feed it 5-10. space them out every 3 hours, so 3 crickets or mealworms every 3 hours? I have not gutloaded yet. was looking at other sources of diet for the cham other then crickets or meal worms
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium from the starter i was given. if any others are required i would love to know and obtain asap.
  • Watering - I have ordered a little dripper and should be arriving but i have using a hand spray right now and i see him drinking from the fake leaves
  • Fecal Description - as to my knowledge about parasites I do not know should i get him checked?
  • History - hes a baby and the store provided no additional info to me but i am keeping in touch with the employee whom owns one to.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, medium size, 16x16x30
  • Lighting - 7:30 am to 7:30 pm, and the one the set came with is a reptisun combo lamp
    13 w reptisun mini compact flourscent lamp
    60 w daylight blue lamp
  • Temperature - floor is about 75 and basking spot is about 86? lowest temp i have recorded is 74? Digital thermometer
  • Humidity - 50-65? Repti fogger I have set up. Humidity gauge?
  • Placement - corner of my room and traffic does come through here but not often I was initially concerned about this
  • Location - California
Current Problem - was concerned about how he keeps climbing on the screen (especially on top next to heat lamp) but since i added more hiding spots he seems to just hide and roam now, if it resumes i'll inquire about it again
my responses are in red :)

• Feeding - Crickets and mealworms. I was told at the store to try to feed it 5-10. space them out every 3 hours, so 3 crickets or mealworms every 3 hours? I have not gutloaded yet. was looking at other sources of diet for the cham other then crickets or meal worms Yeah the sheet that I attached has some great feeder options. Let us know if you have trouble finding places to buy feeders. Also at his age they need to eat a lot. I would give him 12 a day. But as he gets older cut it down.
  • Supplements - Repti Calcium from the starter i was given. if any others are required i would love to know and obtain asap. Does it contain d3? If not then you have to buy a dusting with d3 and give him the non d3 one every day except give him the one with d3 every two months. If it does contain d3 then stop and buy the calcium without d3. Let me know if it has d3 because this is very important
  • Watering - I have ordered a little dripper and should be arriving but i have using a hand spray right now and i see him drinking from the fake leaves I personally don't think that the dripper is very good and If you see him drinking then just keep doing what you're doing.
  • Fecal Description - as to my knowledge about parasites I do not know should i get him checked? Yes every time you buy a cham get them tested. It's up to you some keepers test their chams every 6 months you can follow that schedule if you wish.
Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - screen, medium size, 16x16x30 That might be a bit small once he gets to an adult he'll need an upgrade. 2 by 2 by 4 is reccomended
    13 w reptisun mini compact flourscent lamp Ok so compact uvb's give off very little uvb. This needs to be upgraded asap. You need a T5HO long linear fixture. i'll attach one on amazon here's the correct one https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-2605...ure&qid=1594242245&sprefix=t5h,aps,293&sr=8-2
    60 w daylight blue lamp
  • Temperature - floor is about 75 and basking spot is about 86? lowest temp i have recorded is 74? Digital thermometer IMO 86 is a tiny bit too high. I keep my veiled at high 70s to low 80s
  • Humidity - 50-65? Repti fogger I have set up. Humidity gauge? yes buy a hygrometer (plenty on amazon) his normal humidity should vary between 30 - 50 % but when you mist it should spike.
  • Location - California
K so now you have a lot of information to work on :) the supplements and the uvb are the priorities though. Incorrect uvb and supplementation can lead to mbd and many more health issues if you fix it it will be fine. tell me more about the calci dust and if it had d3

Ok ill be getting that lamp asap (ordered immediately) and i'll lower the temps.
boy Ifeel like that guy told me a lot of bad info >_>;; but that's why I came here!
and the dusting does not have D3, so I would have to obtain some any recommendations?

Ok ill be getting that lamp asap (ordered immediately) and i'll lower the temps.
boy Ifeel like that guy told me a lot of bad info >_>;; but that's why I came here!
and the dusting does not have D3, so I would have to obtain some any recommendations?
So you will be lightly dusting all feeders with the calcium No D3 at each feeding. Then 2 times a month you will use Reptivite with D3. This is your multivitamin and calcium with D3. Rotate this one every other week say on a Saturday.

Here is a link with plants that have been veiled tested as well. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

So you will be lightly dusting all feeders with the calcium No D3 at each feeding. Then 2 times a month you will use Reptivite with D3. This is your multivitamin and calcium with D3. Rotate this one every other week say on a Saturday.

Here is a link with plants that have been veiled tested as well. https://chameleonacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Chameleon-Plants-122819.pdf

Accurate info and Product links for things I like:

https://chameleonacademy.com/

https://www.chameleonbreeder.com/

https://www.youtube.com/c/NeptunetheChameleon?sub_confirmation=1

www.dragonstrand.com

https://tkchameleons.com/collections/accessories/products/shooting-gallery

Thanks for this info ill set up a calendar for this feeding schedule!
Appreciate all the info and tips! I've deeply admired chams for a long time.
i wanna give him a good place to live and take good care of him!

Back
Top Bottom