New CB Melleri

lhoy

This is my first post to the forum, but I am not new to reptiles/amphibians, just new to Chameleons.

So a few days ago, my local reptile shop had a nice CB Melleri in the shop. I have kept a wide variety of reptiles/amphibians but never a Chameleon. Always wanted to keep a chameleon and did some research before buying the little guy/gal. Understood that they can be difficult, but as with many things, I know CB is much easier to deal with than WC.

They let me take the small screen cage and it has fake plants, some wood and I have a nice handled mister for now. The cage is sitting in our bedroom away from activity so he can settle in without a lot of activity.

I absolutely love the little guy and just wanted to check some parameters with more experienced keepers. In general, he is very active chasing down and nailing fruit flies and occasionally pinheads. He is very small right now (not thin) just small. I saw some of you take weight measurements, but I would be nervous trying to hold him right now at his size. I hand mist about 4 to 5 times a day. Sometimes he drinks like crazy and really enjoys it and other times it seems to aggravate him. When it seems to aggravate, I stop.

I read a bunch of threads on here and saw some like tubs. I figure if he is doing well, I don't want to stress too much moving to a new container.

Here are my parameters (temps shot using an Raytek Minitemp gun in f):

Ambient Room Temperature: 71-73
His Temperature: 80 (when shot)
Tank Temp Gradient: 71 at bottom to 94 right under heat lamp.

He does spend time mostly in top to mid level. I usually add quite a few flies or pinheads and let him hunt and don't use a feeding dish. I see him catch quite a few prey.

Here is a photo and he started to display after a few flash bursts and so I knew I already had a few good ones and stopped.

How are his colors? From what I have researched this is more along with him displaying from me opening door and taking a few shots. Otherwise looking good?

Captive Reptiles_44_67060.jpg
by Lee Hoy, on Flickr

Captive Reptiles_43_67021.jpg
by Lee Hoy, on Flickr

Today, I purchased a Zilla 30x18x30 inch screen cage for when he gets a bit bigger. What size should I move him from the current screen cage (much smaller that that like an 18x12x24 or so)? I also understand fake plants can be a problem for this species? How long before I should move to real? I have read that many people mist for very long times when they are older? But I would be concerned about 20 minutes of misting at this size? I know they are use to fluctuating levels of humidity throughout the day as well.

Just curious if any of you have any suggestions, thoughts, etc? I have been reading a lot online and just wanted to seek some opinions from those with experience. Thanks in advance for any other advice.

First, welcome to the Forum! You have done good research as is evidenced by your husbandry.

Mellers do require more water, and tend to be a gentle species. I would suggest you look at offering some various other feeders, such as small Horn Worms, Silk Worms, and Super Worms. Bean Beetles would be the right size feeder for him right now.

You don't mention supplement vitamins, or a UVB light, all are crucial for your chameleon.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

Nick - excellent questions.

Lighting is provided by a Powersun 100Watt UV bulb (UVA and UVB).

I will get a bean beetle culture and get that going as that will be one more food type to offer.

I do have some Rep-Cal Herptivite and Fluker's Calcium with D3. To be honest, have a hard time dusting fruit flies and pinheads well without making a full blown mess and having fruit flies all over the place. Tips?

Thanks,

Lee

Tap out the fruit flies and crickets into a 32 ounce tall cup that already has a tiny bit of the supplement/vitamins. As they crawl up, tap the cup bottom on the counter they will fall to the bottom.
Tap them out into the feeding cup or loose into the cage.

CHEERS!

Nick:D

That is like my dream chameleon right there. He won't stay small for very long. They get approximately 2 feet. Try working on a free range setup for when he is older.

Spiderpharm. Buy files! Little melleri love flies. They sometimes won't eat unless they have flies.
Spiderpharm sells the pupae, so you don't mess with maggots*!

*there is sometimes amaggot or two that finds its way in there...

Keep them in the refrigerator and they last weeks. Take a few out, put them in the cage, you'll have flies.
Last I ordered, they were cheap.

Also, you cab try arbico organics. They sold flies too.

I like offering a variety. Been doing fruit flies and pinheads and would love to also offer some flies. Thanks for link for supplier.

I am definitely considering a free range area for him.

thanks so much for suggestions everyone, this is such a cool chameleon! Have to say, I am babying this guy more than anything else I have ever had!

Back
Top Bottom