new cage

jprox

I moved my cham into a bigger setup yesterday (from 2x2x2 to 2x2x4) and was wondering approximately how long it takes chameleons to get used to a new environment. He’s eating/drinking/basking just fine but his colors are much darker than usual (which I know is because I put him into an entirely new environment but still). How long should I give him to adjust before I get worried about the change in color? Mainly asking because he’s getting ready to sleep now but he’s still pretty dark instead of his usual bedtime colors.

It depends on the chameleon and the environment. Could you post a pic of the new cage please (as long as he’s not asleep yet)?

It depends on the chameleon and the environment. Could you post a pic of the new cage please (as long as he’s not asleep yet)?
my camera is broken (and hes asleep rn anyways) but i can describe it? its a 2x2x4 mesh cage (back wall covered w/window film) with a large schefflera, four money trees (in one pot, not braided) and a few golden pothos. The pothos are still quite small so I’m waiting on them to get a bit longer lol but the schefflera and money trees are very full and def provide enough cover. Then I have a bunch of interlocking branches (real and chameleon safe) running through the cage. Basking spot is at the right distance (forgot the measurements) and is 86/87F (he’s a panther chameleon). The plants are on 4 inch (for the money tree) and 6 inch ( for the schefflera) crates so i have some window screen on top of both (and connected to the mesh sides of the cage) so that if a bug falls it wont go inside of those crates bc i wouldnt be able to get it out without moving a lot of stuff around. It shortens half the cage by 6in and half the cage by 4in. Theres also a dripper over part of the schefflera since it has the best leaves for drinking.

They're all different, but typically 0-4 days (bell curve). Rarely up to a week.

Whenever I make modifications on mine's enclosure (cycling plants in & out, major cleaning, rearranging lights) there hasn't been any at all. In fact it was more like enrichment; he gets to explore all over again!

They're all different, but typically 0-4 days (bell curve). Rarely up to a week.

Whenever I make modifications on mine's enclosure (cycling plants in & out, major cleaning, rearranging lights) there hasn't been any at all. In fact it was more like enrichment; he gets to explore all over again!
thanks!!

Did you make sure your temps are not too hot. Because you did upgrade to bigger enclosure it could be the temps are off. When you can post pics of enclosure so you can be better assisted. Also it would be very helpful to fill out the care sheet.

Did you make sure your temps are not too hot. Because you did upgrade to bigger enclosure it could be the temps are off. When you can post pics of enclosure so you can be better assisted. Also it would be very helpful to fill out the care sheet.
My temps are the exact same as before so that shouldn’t be the case! I prob wont be able to post any pics for a while though because my camera is broken :( I did get my care reviewed a while ago and all was good. The only thing that had changed since then is the cage size + i swapped out the schefflera i had back then for a bigger one! So I’m pretty confident its just him adjusting lol! He wasn’t dark all day either, he did get his hunting colors when he was eating and for most of the day he was his curious colors (not his relaxed colors though). He just never got into his bedtime colors so I was curious!

Keep in mind with a larger cage your temps will be different.... I believe that is what @Chameleoking is telling you. So make sure your using a gauge with a wired probe to sit right on the branch below the basking fixture. 87 is a bit warm... I would shoot for 80-85 max at the branch. Then where they rise up it will be warmer. So if your getting 87 at the branch then higher up where its back is, its hitting hotter betting about 90.

It can take about 2 weeks to fully settle in.

I also usually tell people it takes 2 weeks for a cham to start eating, drinking, and getting back to normal coloration.

A lot of the advice is this video also applies to moving your cham to a new home or making changes to their enclosure:

Keep in mind with a larger cage your temps will be different.... I believe that is what @Chameleoking is telling you. So make sure your using a gauge with a wired probe to sit right on the branch below the basking fixture. 87 is a bit warm... I would shoot for 80-85 max at the branch. Then where they rise up it will be warmer. So if your getting 87 at the branch then higher up where its back is, its hitting hotter betting about 90.

It can take about 2 weeks to fully settle in.
ive been measuring temps using a gun aimed at his back while he’s basking. is that also off?

I also usually tell people it takes 2 weeks for a cham to start eating, drinking, and getting back to normal coloration.

A lot of the advice is this video also applies to moving your cham to a new home or making changes to their enclosure:

He’s still eating/drinking as usual lol thank god I was just worried ab the color

ive been measuring temps using a gun aimed at his back while he’s basking. is that also off?
You want to use a digital thermometer with a probe for basking temps (which are air temps, temp guns measure surface temps), with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch

You want to use a digital thermometer with a probe for basking temps (which are air temps, temp guns measure surface temps), with the probe placed where the top of his back is when he’s on his basking branch
he would probably move if i did that. is there another way to measure without touching him?

Back
Top Bottom