New cage is finally here!

They always end up in the laundry basket at my house. I would hate to think it was because of moisture...yuck!:eek:

Has anyone mastered a grand way to get a 1000 crickets out from the box they were mailed in and into the housing tote? If so, it sure would save me the comedic display in the dining room every few weeks that unfortunately some friends and a even a few family members have witnessed. My dignity has been lost with them but I might be able to redeem myself in the future!:D

Last edited:
I open the box into a large plastic garbage bag. After shaking the box furiously, I divide them into teh cricket bins. If your bin is large enough, just use a knife and cut it open and poor directly in.

I did that once but I got so many dead crickets that fell into the clean tote that I needed to clean it out completely right after the transfer..it took hours! I think I get more dead in the box than most people get because they have to travel pretty far to get here but I am not sure. Maybe I shook too hard!

Because I am in Alaska I can't get the live arrival guarantee, but he over stocks the box to compensate so I can't really complain. Most people won't even agree to ship here even though it really doesn't take longer than most places. They do travel farther though.

Ah far enough, I completely missed the Alaska part in your profile. Maybe you can email your supplier about wanting to help develope better ways to ship crickets? The next time you receive a shipment, take lots of photos of the dead and alive crickets, the condition of the box, how many dead, how many alive, etc. Describe everything, the smell, the dryness of the box and packing materials.

With these he may be able to guess what is causing the deaths, (old age, starvation, no-humidity, rough handling, no oxygen.

Do you think most were already dead before shipping, in the suppliers container before he dumped a bunch into the shipping box? I doubt he is actually counting 1000 crickets (I know I am not counting to see if I received 1000 exactly:p ), so I picture him just pulling out egg crates and shaking them into the box. I assumed some of the dead were just stuck to the crates and fell in along with the live ones?? They are active, plump, and juicy when they arrive. Much better than any of our local pet stores have. The box does smell really bad when opened but I thought that was normal. I will never get used to that smell!! I will take pictures when I get another shipment. This is the only place I have ordered from so I am not sure how other suppliers ship.

The box shouldn't smell too bad. Bad smells mean rotten cricket food and rotting crickets. As well as mold.

If your shipper special pack yours with extra, then hes not just picking up a box off of the pile hes had put together. They have scoops that have measurements on it. One scoop will have the measurement for adult crickets, another 1/8th inch crickets. The measurements have the height that would take up so many crickets.

See, I didn't know that they had a special scooper. You learn something new everyday! I will closely inspect the next shipment and maybe post a few pictures. You can tell me if it looks up to par. Of coarse finding a person to ship to me is another story. Beggars can't be choosers. A few months ago The entire town was without any crickets a and ever since then I don't like to rely on them to provide food. Do you have a problem in Canada? It seem you don't have a problem getting chameleons shipped to you, where I haven't even thought to ask anyone to ship to me. I always figured the answer would be no. Thank for the cricket info!

Ye your cage is awesome.. This is what im looking for in my room, but i dont have an awesome uncle like yours. dammit. and i suck at building things.. CAn you please post pictures of the complete set up all done.

Back
Top Bottom