New cage, input wanted

My boy Kubo is about one now, and I'm needing to get him a bigger cage.

He's currently in a18x18x36 reptibreeze, and I'm looking at getting the Dragonstrand 24x24x48 Clearside Large cage.

Will the extra 6 inch width and depth be pretty noticeable for him, or will he need more space?

He's pacing around his cage quite a bit now, so I want to make sure he's happy and has what he needs.

Input, comments, etc. are all appreciated. The Atrium would be amazing, but I don't think it's something we can invest in right now, as it costs about $200 more than the Large clearside.

thanks!

I'm not an expert, but I do have a 1.5 year old male panther ambilobe so please take my $.02 for what it's worth...

I do think the extra space from the large cage would be noticed and very much appreciated by Kubo. 6 inches may not sound like a lot but altogether the cage you mentioned is 33% bigger than your current one! I do not think it would satisfy his wanderlust, though. I spent a couple hundred $$ on building my own custom cage for my boy that's about 3wx2dx4h, and it doesn't feel like nearly enough space for him. Plus, he's a fairly small boy.

All that is to say I don't think it's feasible for most of us to buy or even build an indoor enclosure that fully satisfies our pets space needs but we should provide the best we can for them. Along that train of thought, there's a lot to be said for free roaming areas and outdoor time. HTH!

I'm not an expert, but I do have a 1.5 year old male panther ambilobe so please take my $.02 for what it's worth...

I do think the extra space from the large cage would be noticed and very much appreciated by Kubo. 6 inches may not sound like a lot but altogether the cage you mentioned is 33% bigger than your current one! I do not think it would satisfy his wanderlust, though. I spent a couple hundred $$ on building my own custom cage for my boy that's about 3wx2dx4h, and it doesn't feel like nearly enough space for him. Plus, he's a fairly small boy.

All that is to say I don't think it's feasible for most of us to buy or even build an indoor enclosure that fully satisfies our pets space needs but we should provide the best we can for them. Along that train of thought, there's a lot to be said for free roaming areas and outdoor time. HTH!

Really good response, and thank you!

I went ahead and ordered the large keeper series screen cage from Dragon Strand, along with the ledges and go easy drip drainage system.

My brother owns Forest Frog Designs, so I'll copy what he does in his terrieriums and use some non toxic gap filler to try and make him more of a jungle gym.

The dragonstrands are top notch, you'll be happy

@RedMountainHome I couldn't agree more. My panther has a 6x2x6 free range he still makes it look small. Panthers seem to use all the space you give them. Definitely no such thing as too big with these guys.

Back
Top Bottom