New Cage (hybrid of free range?)

shaneofall

Looks like I need more plants, but otherwise a good size and practical for daily maintenance.

IMAG0327.jpg
IMAG0326.jpg

Any recommendations are welcome. This is the second prototype and I will likely get about 8-9 more like this, for a room dedicated to T. melleri, so getting it right is really important to me. I have air flow on bottom and top, but otherwise the front is either open or can zip-up, to hold more humidity. This is basically a modified greenhouse from Low's, with center bars used to give it more height by about 8 inches. I used netting with zip ties to contain everything and a a Reptile UVB 200 26W bulb.

I have been manually misting for now but will look at Mist King when I set all the others up.

Shane

If the plastic is on the top, it may negate some, or all the UVB the chams need. I don't see a linear UVB bulb, just a basking light. The plastic also is a melting/fire issue.

Feeders will be roaming the room, if thats ok, your mesh will work.

I would suggest you keep 1-2 Mellers for 1-2 years before you set up 8-9 cages, many have tried to establish Mellers, and it is difficult.

Also, I find I never "get it right", I am always trying new cage ideas!

Good luck on your Mellers adventure.:D

Nick

You need allot more plants. A few more vines and branches would be nice to.

I will be looking at maybe pothos from the top and another taller ficus. Was concerned about too many branches overlapping, but will look at a few more.

If the plastic is on the top, it may negate some, or all the UVB the chams need. I don't see a linear UVB bulb, just a basking light. The plastic also is a melting/fire issue.

Feeders will be roaming the room, if thats ok, your mesh will work.

I would suggest you keep 1-2 Mellers for 1-2 years before you set up 8-9 cages, many have tried to establish Mellers, and it is difficult.

Also, I find I never "get it right", I am always trying new cage ideas!

Good luck on your Mellers adventure.:D

Nick

No plastic on top, 2*2 inch metal screen. Feeders are by hand or in holder at front of cage (at angle they don't hop out.

I did have a Meller's for a long time in the past along with breeding other similarly difficult species. I was breeding 15 pairs of Uroplatus phantasticus at one point when everyone was convinced it was difficult early 2000's. So I have a little understanding of what I am getting into. Even had some Johnston's Chameleons back in the early 90's, when know one (at least in the States) knew how to incubate the eggs ( I didn't either :( )

Back
Top Bottom