New bulb, what the expletive!?

Calegrey

Ok, so in my pursuit of ideal basking temperature and ambient temperature being created by basking bulb I went ahead and bought new lamp, and new bulb.
Both rated for 150w. I put bulb in lamp, I plug lamp in, I turn lamp on.
Beautiful bright light and heat erupt forth in a magnificent orchestra of technological cooperation lighting my enclosure wondrously. Ecstatic that my heating dilemma just might be at an end I move to shift a thermometer under the bulb at 6" so I can get an idea of heat output and time frame. Before I have a chance to open the enclosure, the light cuts. "What happened?" I ponder, looking up I see a milky fog emanate from within the top of the bulb, and stare in horror as it rolls inevitable through the confines of the bulb. WTF ZOO-MED?!?!?
... Long story short... I think I bought a bad bulb. Anyone had issues with zoo-med 150w basking spot bulbs before? I'm kinda m.i.f.f.ed.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 256
yeah mostly for basking, ambient heat output would be a bonus though. For some reason my house is perpetually 60-65* through the day. No matter where I set the thermostat.

I think you will get better millage out of a 35-75 watt bulb and some heat tape at the bottom of the cage. Light bulbs are not very efficient as cage heaters. I guess they could be if it was mounted upside down under the cage so the convection heat goes up...

Plus that bulb is costing you like 5 bucks a month in extra electricity even at the low end.

I think you will get better millage out of a 35-75 watt bulb and some heat tape at the bottom of the cage. Light bulbs are not very efficient as cage heaters. I guess they could be if it was mounted upside down under the cage so the convection heat goes up...

Plus that bulb is costing you like 5 bucks a month in extra electricity even at the low end.
Any recommendations on how to set the heat tape? I'm not overly familiar with that particular type of tape.
Highest temperature i have got a reading on so far from a 75w is (measured approx 6" below bulb) 84*F, I thought Veileds need low 90's???

Any recommendations on how to set the heat tape? I'm not overly familiar with that particular type of tape.
Highest temperature i have got a reading on so far from a 75w is (measured approx 6" below bulb) 84*F, I thought Veileds need low 90's???

its pretty easy. You can even call up big apple herps and they can walk you through.

You buy this end:
http://www.amazon.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape-Attached/dp/B00AHEZF6I

http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape

The some 11" tape (20 watts a foot) Odds are 2 foot. Then you just smash the termals into the tape with a hammer, put on the water seal tape, and you are ready to go. You may need a reostat or a cheap temperature controller if its too much heat, but ive never needed one unless it was a sealed tank. One trick i did was put a water bath on it, so i would have a 85f water bath all winter that would evaporate like crazy.

If you couldnt tell, 20 watts spread out over 1sqft is not hot at all.

Last edited:
its pretty easy. You can even call up big apple herps and they can walk you through.

You buy this end:
http://www.amazon.com/Flex-Watt-Heat-Tape-Attached/dp/B00AHEZF6I

http://www.reptilebasics.com/12-heat-tape

The some 11" tape (20 watts a foot) Odds are 2 foot. Then you just smash the termals into the tape with a hammer, put on the water seal tape, and you are ready to go. You may need a reostat or a cheap temperature controller if its too much heat, but ive never needed one unless it was a sealed tank. One trick i did was put a water bath on it, so i would have a 85f water bath all winter that would evaporate like crazy.

If you couldnt tell, 20 watts spread out over 1sqft is not hot at all.
I'm going to look further into this, I don't like the idea of a heat source from the bottom very much, but because of heating issues it might become a necessity.

Temperature: (for Veiled Chameleons)
Baby/juvenile (<9 months): ambient 72-80F (22-26C), basking 85F (29C)
Adult males: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 90-95F (32-35C)
Adult females: ambient 75-80F (23-26C), basking 85F (29C) (Some experienced people say 83F is ideal for females. It keeps their clutch smaller)

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/
I've read that already, problem is; single basking point is at 84* everywhere else is 65-70.

I'm going to look further into this, I don't like the idea of a heat source from the bottom very much, but because of heating issues it might become a necessity.

Heat rises.
Convection tapes are a proven product.
Use a basking light to give it one spot of 85F (adjust distance until you get a reading of 85F) try a little 35w spotlight.

You DO have a UVB bulb right?

Heat rises.
Convection tapes are a proven product.
Use a basking light to give it one spot of 85F (adjust distance until you get a reading of 85F) try a little 35w spotlight.

You DO have a UVB bulb right?
yep, reptisun 5.0. It's in one of those sideways laying lamp deals with the reflective plate on the back.

Back
Top Bottom