New build

DaveF

Finally the new build has started and should be finished within the next days

Attachments

• 20210413_193529.jpg
    20210413_193529.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 66
Finished product removed all the foam that didn't stick very well to the pvc sides for some reason

Attachments

• 20210414_155213.jpg
    20210414_155213.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 64
Looks good. Foam—like many glues—sticks better to rough surfaces. When I put a custom background in one of my enclosures, I used a backerboard of fiberboard (thin plywood would do as well). An added bonus is that it's removable if there's ever a need for cleaning, remodeling, etc.

Something I learned just recently is that many/most/all reptiles seek the brightest light in an enclosure to bask in, whether it's the warmest or not. A good way to make sure they're covered is to arrange the beams in a Venn diagram. This provides gradients so the reptile can choose where it wants to be at any time.
1618413618639.png

Ill have a look at that tomorrow poor little guy hated me taking him out his little Palace and moving him into this big old new space 🤣 isn't keen on me at the best of times

Looks good. Foam—like many glues—sticks better to rough surfaces. When I put a custom background in one of my enclosures, I used a backerboard of fiberboard (thin plywood would do as well). An added bonus is that it's removable if there's ever a need for cleaning, remodeling, etc.

Something I learned just recently is that many/most/all reptiles seek the brightest light in an enclosure to bask in, whether it's the warmest or not. A good way to make sure they're covered is to arrange the beams in a Venn diagram. This provides gradients so the reptile can choose where it wants to be at any time.
Experienced the same, she went basking under the led light because that one was above the highest branch and was brightest light. Needed a quick change!

I just swapped the lights UVB at the led position. Just take notice that they will bask at the highest point in the enclosure (at least mine does), ff you put there your UVB and basking light, you should be fine.

Great 👌

Personally I would swap the led and UVB. So the UVB and heat are next to each other and this is perfect, angled the heat light. Just place the led where it is the most beneficial for the plants.

So how would you set your lights to achieve this ?
That's going to depend somewhat on the size & type of enclosure, and kinds of fixtures you have.
A linear T5 UVB is becoming pretty standard, as is an incandescent or halogen basking lamp. Where there may still be some variation is in plant lights—all shapes & sizes. Some use linear T5s; more are making the move to LEDs, which may be linear, "pads", floods, or other.

In most cases, I think the T5 UVB may be the least "flexible", as it should run the width of the enclosure—though alternatively it may run diagonally. So I would set/establish that first. Since it's also a good idea to set up gradients, either the UVB or basking area/site (or both) can be set up at an angle/angles.

I think then I would set up the plant light, since it'll likely be the brightest of the three, and as mentioned previously, the one the chameleon is likely to bask under.

Last, I would set up the basking lamp, which in many/most cases will be the easiest to angle & aim at the basking area to provide heat.

In a typical 24" x 24" x 48"H (60cm x 60cm x 120cmH) enclosure, this might look something like this, but there are many other ways of arranging things.

1618488437186.png

Any/all fixtures may (need to) be angled/tilted so that their respective lights converge on the basking area.

Back
Top Bottom