New BSF thread

Highway61

Chameleon Enthusiast
I still haven't gotten my Jacksons boy to eat BSLF. But being new to this hobby I mistakenly buried (more than I should have) BSFL in the soil of the bioactive viv and naturally, too many morphed into flies at once. My cham effortlessly will shoot his tongue at them when the land near him (doesn't even have to hunt them down). These flies are also very easy for me to pick simply by pinching them when they're resting on the screen. So I have stock piled BSF in a cricket container for a few days now and have whipped up some Bug Burger and thrown that in there.

Is it reasonable to expect the flies to gut load on this and now that the larvae in the viv have dried up, release them back for my cham? Or am I just wasting time/effort and should just release them outside?

I still haven't gotten my Jacksons boy to eat BSLF. But being new to this hobby I mistakenly buried (more than I should have) BSFL in the soil of the bioactive viv and naturally, too many morphed into flies at once. My cham effortlessly will shoot his tongue at them when the land near him (doesn't even have to hunt them down). These flies are also very easy for me to pick simply by pinching them when they're resting on the screen. So I have stock piled BSF in a cricket container for a few days now and have whipped up some Bug Burger and thrown that in there.

Is it reasonable to expect the flies to gut load on this and now that the larvae in the viv have dried up, release them back for my cham? Or am I just wasting time/effort and should just release them outside?

To my knowledge, black solider flies don't have working mouthparts and won't eat/drink during their adult phase - their only objective is to breed and then die! The best you can offer them is a cotton ball soaked in sugar water, but that won't affect their nutritional value.

Personally, I'd probably just throw them in your enclosure and let your cham go ham on flies for a few days! Unless you have hundreds of them or something. Ive had 20 or so flies hatch out at once and just left my girl Lily to it! She takes them out within a day or two.

Let the feast resume! Bsfl are a staple for me I try to separate them as the start to pupate so I can control how many I can release at once as thry turn to flys.. leaving them i one container is a jailbreak waiting to happen .
they will enjoy a drink but won't feed don't waste your gutload.

Back
Top Bottom