New Baby Veiled! Questions

Pjtbug

Ok, so this is the first time I've owned a chameleon, and I have just a few questions. I've read all the instructions about what the temperature and humidity have to be, and what plants I can and can't put in his enclosure, but I'm just not sure what to expect behavior wise. So far he seems to be very shy. every time I put my hand in his cage he turns away and tries to get as gar away as possible.I got him yesterday so I'm sure he's still very stressed out about the change in scenery, but I'm wondering if there's any behavior that I should expect, and how to help him adjust to his new home?

You should expect him to be shy at first and, as he gets older, he will probably become aggressive and grumpy ;) It's the chameleon way. Since he's new, you should really leave him alone for at least a couple weeks before even trying to interact. You have to be very, very patient if you want him to get used to you

Ok, thanks for the tips! Are there any common problems with introducing a chameleon to a new home that I should keep my eye out for?

@Pjtbug they already answered on the other thread and said a vet visit is definitely recommended. Just made my appointment for next Monday :) Good luck with your new buddy!

Most chams want very little to do with humans or any other animals for that matter. Their nature is to blend in and stay as far from the spotlight as possible. But like every thing else there are exceptions to the rule, every Cham is different.

Best thing you can do to earn their trust is to let them settle into their new environment for a week or so without any additional handling. While they are settling in hand feed as much as you can, this will teach your Cham to associate you with positive experiences. Over the coming weeks he will relax a bit, that is when you can begin to try to pick him up. NEVER put your hand above and behind him, nature has programmed him to panic whenever something suddenly appears there.Thats how most predators get them.

To pick him up put one hand on each side of him and below him and slowly bring your hands together while lifting gently. The idea is to slowly replace whatever they are standing on with your hands. You really need to pay attention to your cams behavior while doing this. If he completely freaks out and runs away give him more time. If your cam flat out refuses to allow you to pick them up I suggest you put your hand in front of them and with your other hand have their favorite treat ready to go . Start by just getting their attention with the treat but keep it out of their tongues range, the idea is to force them to walk forward on to your hand to reach the treat.

Most chams want very little to do with humans or any other animals for that matter. Their nature is to blend in and stay as far from the spotlight as possible. But like every thing else there are exceptions to the rule, every Cham is different.

Best thing you can do to earn their trust is to let them settle into their new environment for a week or so without any additional handling. While they are settling in hand feed as much as you can, this will teach your Cham to associate you with positive experiences. Over the coming weeks he will relax a bit, that is when you can begin to try to pick him up. NEVER put your hand above and behind him, nature has programmed him to panic whenever something suddenly appears there.Thats how most predators get them.

To pick him up put one hand on each side of him and below him and slowly bring your hands together while lifting gently. The idea is to slowly replace whatever they are standing on with your hands. You really need to pay attention to your cams behavior while doing this. If he completely freaks out and runs away give him more time. If your cam flat out refuses to allow you to pick them up I suggest you put your hand in front of them and with your other hand have their favorite treat ready to go . Start by just getting their attention with the treat but keep it out of their tongues range, the idea is to force them to walk forward on to your hand to reach the treat.
Ok, thank you so much for all your advice!

The amount of time for the chameleon to settle into his environment and enclosure could range from a week to even a month! They definitely are shy though when you first get them, but as brodybreaux25 said hand feeding is key in building trust with your cham! :D

Back
Top Bottom