New baby Senegal Chameleon

tessa

Hi I'm new to the chameleon world! I did do My home work for about 3 Months before buying My Senegal Babies I have a male & female just got them today so far they look to be in great health climbing all over there New habit like they have been there for months:D I'm not to sure when to start feeding them? and whats the best way to go about feeding! I do have a drip system they seen be be interested in it but not yet drinking! Any Information ya'll have would be helpful.... Thank you..... Tess

How old are these and do you have a second cage? Housing multiple chameleons together (that are out of the baby stage) can be rather difficult and can end up very badly. Even very experienced keepers may fail. Them being together may or may not result in the death of one or both of the animals. The signals they give aren't always easily seen.

what Pssh said is true unless they are tiny babies. As far as feeding them. Do it immediately! They should be fed everyday pretty much as much as their little bellies can hold! If you have crickets, you can just release them in the cage. They are pretty good at finding them but some will straggle off and hide. Find those before you shut off the lights at night and remove them.

Can you post a picture or get a weight on both of them? I'd be interested to know how old they are as well. One thing to remember is they like their basking lamps and they like it to rain often. We keep Senegal's in the same system as our deremensis and quads, which gets misted three times per day at 10 mins per session. We simply add a 60-100w basking lamp, depending on the age. Because of their tendency to bask, they tend to eat a bit more than some of the other species. I would offer a few crickets per day until you become accustomed to their preferences and style.

As far as co-habitation is concerned, well, senegals don't normally tolerate cage mates unless they were raised together. With that said, it is always a good idea to establish an enclosure for each one, in the event they don't get along.

Hope this helps...

Luis

as far as there age 2 months? I do have the right basking bulb and yes I do have another cage getting it set up asap My drip system is working well all post pictures as soon as i feel they are okay to mess with! There about as big as your ring finger! also i'm keeping a close watch on there eyes so far so good! wish me luck:eek:

I too have a baby Senegal. I fed mine the same day I got it home and it has eaten like a champ every time.

So far so good

My babies are doing great eating and drinking like little piggys:D I'm unsure how to post pictures on here? Would like To get a idea of there age tho! With everything I've read on here 4-5 months? Wow they sure are Amazing little creatures I love to just sit and watch them I find my self dong it for hours. I've grown really attached to My babies in the last few days and It's a bit scary:( I don't want to see anything happen to them! BTW I did pick out some great names! We have "The Don" Chameleoni and this wife Tea:D lol My little mobsters
Any advice would be helpful but so far so good...:D

put a picture of them on the desktop, the when you click post on here, you can scroll down to manage attachments, click that, then browse, click your pic on desktop, then click upload..done..lets see those lil guys!!

Pictures Of My Babies Senegal Chameleons:D

Here's Pictures of the Don chameleoni and Tea:D hoping to get a age Idea and If there loolking healthy Eating and drinking Like little Piggies! I love the so much what amazing little critters:D! Any advice is always welcome I do have a male and a female seem to get along great:) I do have a back up cage set up just in case hoping to breed them any advice on what to look for when the reach the breeding stage i know she need sand and he will have to be moved when she lays her eggs! Also I don't have any friend on here and would love to have some so hit me up if youd like to be my friend and give me advice:)

Attachments

• DSCN1337.jpg
    DSCN1337.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN1355.jpg
    DSCN1355.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 237
  • DSCN1362.jpg
    DSCN1362.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 247
If you keep them together, when they reach sexual maturity they will mate even if they are not full grown. IMHO its best to keep them separately and only introduce them when you want them to mate...and its best IMHO not to mate them until the female is full grown so that she is done growing her own bones/body before you put the demands of eggs on her.

what kinyonga said is important and true. even if they "seem" to be getting along, do not keep them together. they will mate before they are fully matured, which will lead the female to go through extreme stress and could lead to health issues for her.

It is best to wait until she is fully grown and to only introduce the two during mating time. This is pretty much true of any solitary herp.

I know you said you have done your research, but I would still recommend you fill out the "how to help" form at least once and have experienced members check over your care. You will be shocked how often people are told the wrong thing!

thanks for the info

Thanks for the Info good to know will do! Setting the other cage just going to take me a few days to get it up got all my light's drip system need to buy plants then I will move the The male:D have any idea of there age?

How did you get them to start drinking.? I can't get my senegal baby to drink at all.
I've got a dripper and I mist constantly.
I don't get it. /:

How did you get them to start drinking.? I can't get my senegal baby to drink at all.
I've got a dripper and I mist constantly.
I don't get it. /:
Alot of chams wont drink in front you....my K.multi girl would never drink when I was misting...but I caught her when she thought I went back inside....she was just shy about it......as long as they arent showing the signs...sunken eyes and general withering away....and fecal is the right color.....yours is drinking.....

Alot of chams wont drink in front you....my K.multi girl would never drink when I was misting...but I caught her when she thought I went back inside....she was just shy about it......as long as they arent showing the signs...sunken eyes and general withering away....and fecal is the right color.....yours is drinking.....

When my Senegal was a baby she drank right from the spray bottle... Now she's a secret drinker.

Back
Top Bottom