New baby hiding

Cat557

I got my first boy the day before yesterday he was travelling for days and came in the night. The first morning he was exploring and eating straight away. Not long after he ate silkworm he went in to the ficus and has been hiding there since. I don't think he's found the basking branch or if he has he's too scared to go up there as there's not much plant coverage at the top. I'm worried as he hasn't basked in days since leaving the breeder. I understand, to him it's a whole new world in there as its a pretty big enclosure and he thinks we want to eat him but I'm worried he's not getting the ubv etc. The house is quiet and we have left his room alone whilst he's settling in, he's eating when I put bugs on branches infront of him but not searching for his own. This morning I have been using a fan heater pointing at the middle of the cage to give him some of the heat he's lacking from being in the shade. Temps mistings day night cycle etc all matches what he's used too, Will it take a while for him to be more comfortable to move round?

Attachments

• 20221020_085035.jpg
    20221020_085035.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221020_085049.jpg
    20221020_085049.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20221020-091623_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221020-091623_Gallery.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 50
I got my first boy the day before yesterday he was travelling for days and came in the night. The first morning he was exploring and eating straight away. Not long after he ate silkworm he went in to the ficus and has been hiding there since. I don't think he's found the basking branch or if he has he's too scared to go up there as there's not much plant coverage at the top. I'm worried as he hasn't basked in days since leaving the breeder. I understand, to him it's a whole new world in there as its a pretty big enclosure and he thinks we want to eat him but I'm worried he's not getting the ubv etc. The house is quiet and we have left his room alone whilst he's settling in, he's eating when I put bugs on branches infront of him but not searching for his own. This morning I have been using a fan heater pointing at the middle of the cage to give him some of the heat he's lacking from being in the shade. Temps mistings day night cycle etc all matches what he's used too, Will it take a while for him to be more comfortable to move round?
I am by no means an expert and am new to this too, but what I will say is that it took my boy about a week to get comfortable. He was hiding a lot too and not basking. Yours will get there. Just give him time. Like you said, it's a whole new world to him, and yes he thinks you are going to eat him. Mine still does after nearly 2 months 😅. uvb. I wouldn't worry, a few days won't harm anything.

I am by no means an expert and am new to this too, but what I will say is that it took my boy about a week to get comfortable. He was hiding a lot too and not basking. Yours will get there. Just give him time. Like you said, it's a whole new world to him, and yes he thinks you are going to eat him. Mine still does after nearly 2 months 😅. uvb. I wouldn't worry, a few days won't harm anything.
Thankyou 😇

*deep breath* and welcome to the world of chameleon keeping! It's understandable to worry, but everything you've described is common and expected when bringing home a new little one. Here is a great video full of advice for new keepers including what to expect the first few days/weeks. Also if you can get your enclosure off of the ground, that will help your chameleon feel safer.

*deep breath* and welcome to the world of chameleon keeping! It's understandable to worry, but everything you've described is common and expected when bringing home a new little one. Here is a great video full of advice for new keepers including what to expect the first few days/weeks. Also if you can get your enclosure off of the ground, that will help your chameleon feel safer.

Thankyou 🙂 I actually researched chameleons by watching all of your videos and going back and rewatching them when I forget something 🤣 I want the enclosure to be off the ground but I have a low ceiling and can't get anything under it with the basking light being so tall 😅

Back
Top Bottom