New Baby girl veiled cham :D

Purpur

brought my baby home today, an early xmas prezzie. She is so little, I don't think that she can be any older than a month :) I fell in love with her at work, and decided that it was time to get back into the cham world :eek:

She is so small and cute, what do you think ?

Attachments

• DSCN1721.jpg
    DSCN1721.jpg
    237.4 KB · Views: 186
She's being a little turd about eating...haven't seen her take anything today :( but yesterday she ate four crickets and she took a huge dump today!! I'm thinking that she is still getting used to her new home.

Are you feeding her at the same time every day? Veileds love fruits and veggies, try chopping up mustard greens really fine and a raspberry very very tiny and putting it on a Tupperware lid and holding it below her. She will try to zap it with her tongue first but will figure out how to take a bite eventually, it's cute to watch. Order some wax worms for treats, and silk worms and baby dubias for variety and gutloading the crickets with yummy fruits and things like squash and boiled sweet potatoes makes a huge difference. Giving her a store bought crickets that taste like bland potatoes is not very yummy. Plump them suckers up. Veileds are cool to me because of this. You can introduce all kinds of new approved foods to them. Check out olimpias blog on feeders and gutloading , and offer your new one a salad. :) just chop it nice and fine to avoid choking.

She's adorable. Congrats & good luck with her. Justin18 posted the care sheet on veiled chameleons so you can fine tune your set-up. :)

Last edited:
she is a tiny little girl :D I still can't believe the company shipped her to us so small! I mean, it's winter, they had no heat packets and she had no source of hydration!!

Also a have a new little girl (?)

She's adorable - what is her name?

I just got a veiled two days before Christmas and I was about to ask the opposite question. She's a porker!!! She ate 15 small crickets at 8:30am and 9 more (+ 3 waxworms) at 1:30. She literally hangs upside down staring at the floor when she's hungry - which seems like ALWAYS! I've been feeding her at around 8:30-9am and 1:30-2pm every day giving her another 6 hours of "daylight" to digest. I don't want to overfeed her but she's just scarfs this stuff down. Is that ok?

Also, they said she was a boy at PetSmart - but I've been studying her back feet for 4 days now and I can't find a tarsal spur. Here's a couple of pics - what do you think? Also, she's about 4 inches long (just her body) - how old could she be?

These forums are wonderful. I read PoshPenny's initial post and replies and so many others - they are so helpful - thank you!!!!

Attachments

• Foot.jpg
    Foot.jpg
    174.5 KB · Views: 149
  • foot2.jpg
    foot2.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 91
  • Olive.jpg
    Olive.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 111
That's a female. I don't see a spur. Seriously I listen to three people on this forum to heart and it's Jann, since you have a female veiled Jann's blog is a MUST read to set up your egg laying bin and hopefully avoid eggs all together because our girls will lay wether we mate them or not, the eggs will be infertile though. Petsmart is full of idiots. Don't listen to petsmart about anything. Olimpias blog is the second one I follow, she is a biologist and she knows her stuff and can help you start to keep your own feeders in bulk so you don't have to pay 12cents a cricket. Then there is Sandra, she is the gutloading queen. Listen to these three experienced owners and your babies will live a healthy life despite any unforeseen complications like egg laying issues or cancer, ect.. Things out of our control.

Babies should be fed often and given as much as they can eat in a 5 min period assuming you're feeding pinheads. Give waxworms seldom as treats. I almost spoiled my fatty, she got picky and only wanted those! Try butter worms instead, they are still fatty, but higher in calcium. You can offer her tiny tiny chopped up strawberries and mustard greens, romain and collard greens, all fresh and rinsed, avoid spinach it can mess up calcium absorption. Gut load EVERYTHING! Your mealworms which should only make up 20% or less of their diet according to Sandra as they are more of a treat too.

I read a lot to begin with, so iv been over this forum more than I care to admit. But it's made me a better Cham owner. I refused to let frita my Cham die, she was a rescue. I knew ZERO about chams, now I'm planning to buy my second :) I owe all I know to this site.

The only person I know of that can really tell the age of these babies well would be Jann or olimpias, or Fluxlizard. Purr's seems so small. I'm going based off when Jann told me the age of mine when I asked a while back, she was 4 months, and a little bigger than newchammommy's Cham.

thanks

I know what you mean about the forums - I've been reading everything because I want may baby to be healthy. Now that you also think she's a girl my Oliver will be called Olive!

Yes they are pinheads - 24 she ate today!

Thanks!

Red light at night

One last thing - she sleeps like a log but I have an infrared light on top of her enclosure. Everything I've been reading today says to kill the light. I'm worried she won't be warm enough (her enclosure is about 78-82 degrees in the day). The house is 70 - but will she get too cold at night without the light?

Nope, she will be fine. As long as your house does not drop below 64 degrees you're good, if your heat/air is on 70 then she is good to go. That light will keep her up all night and stress her out. She needs that drop in temp for metabolism.

Back
Top Bottom