New Baby Boy!!!

Alright so after getting a female when I ordered a male, I have gotten a male. He is around 2 months old. I have him in an 18x18x30 screen cage and lots of climbing branches vines and leaves but the little guy doesn't seem to use them much!! Almost everytime he is on the ceiling! Unlike my female he hasn't gotten used to being hand fed but is still not hesitant to eat. Anyways I need some names guys!!!!!! I have a pair now so I need a male and female name! Thanks guys!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 147
What kind of panther baby?

I won't tell you names... I feel the names should be listed out on what you think fits him and then choosing the best from there. I often go to baby name websites and look at long lists of baby names until I find a few I like and then watch them for a few days before finally choosing.

Can you show a picture of your male's enclosure? A lot of the time when they are itty bitties they tend to screen climb a lot. The only thing I worry about then is burns. Is your basking bulb raised at all?

It is not raised! I should probably fix that. They are both panthers I should have mentioned that lol. Also I was think Romeo and Juliet or something similar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 169
Romeo and Juliet would be cute... if you want love pairings there's tons of historical romances out there that you should look up... maybe like some greek gods? or roman gods? that could always be interesting ^^

I would definitely put some more greenery (real or fake) in there, screen-climbing can also be a small sign of stress. Adding a few more vines or just some branches would be good too.

Romeo and Juliet are very cute names or Bonnie and Cylde (Im a bit thug though lol) Very cute! I just got my baby last night and people are warning me about the screen climbing but Im not sure how to stop him. He seems to do it quite a bit though not all the time but how on earth can you stop them from doing it?

Andee I just brought my Yoda (Son picked the name, I was going for Hendrix) home last night so I feel like there is some stress there do to the move/new home/ the big Chameleon eating things meaning us. He looks at me like he thinks hes sure I am going to eat him. He seems to be trying to learn his new place. He looks in and out of the plants all over everything.

Yeah The romance names are kinda cute. Juliet just seems to go perfect with my female I don't want to jinks them though... Anyways I'll lift the lamp tomorrow. How high should it be? Typically his basking temp is in the low 80s. I also just got him in today so I was thinking he could have been exploring or trying to find a way to escape. Anyways he didn't seem to eat out of the cup very well but was eating the crickets like crazy when I sat th on the screen/leaf next to him. I think in total it was about 6 small crickets that I placed near or around him today. He seems like he is kind of a pig! He is in my room and I like to sleep in colder temps. When I last checked it was 74 in the cages. I have heard they can survive pretty cool temps like in the 60s. My veiled has been living like this all summer just fine so I assumed it's the same for my panthers.

Andee I just brought my Yoda (Son picked the name, I was going for Hendrix) home last night so I feel like there is some stress there do to the move/new home/ the big Chameleon eating things meaning us. He looks at me like he thinks hes sure I am going to eat him. He seems to be trying to learn his new place. He looks in and out of the plants all over everything.

Veileds are always a little bit standoffish. My male veiled eats out of my hand just fine but the second I try to touch or hold him he is huffing and puffing!! I usually don't mess with him but he is getting better it just takes a lot of work to get them used to you.

I know it may never happen but I will try my best to be friends with him. I would like him to be social with me at least but I also am realistic that may not happen. My son has only had his baby veiled for about a month and he was the same age when he got him. Well I help take care of him when needed and he knows me somewhat and today I tired to hold him and he lunged at me twice once as I was trying to put my hand near him and the second time because I wasnt getting my hand out of his home fast enough. Then my son put his hand in there and he went right to him.....

They do attach to one person (the person that means food) in my experience with veileds is that you can usually get them to enjoy you with lots of tender loving hand fed crickets. Once they understand that you mean food you can start to take them out of the cage (sometimes whether they want to or not.) honestly with mine I take him out set him on my computer chair and hand feed out side of the cage. This helps get him used to you as well. I picked mine up from work when he was about 4 months old at the beginning of the summer and now that I'm going back to school 2 and a 1/2 months later I have made a little progress and he is getting really big and starting to get his yellow colors. Like I said just takes a lot of work but hand feeding is key.

Hopefully he will understand at some point that at the very least Im not trying to eat him lol. I can understand why though he is so tiny and I am so big so I would be scared too. He is so cute though and I already love the little guy. Yes I have dogs and cats to snuggle but I would like to hold him at some point but for now I am giving him space and time. Letting him adjust to everything. It is a lot of change for such a little guy. Did I mention how cute he is lol. My husband is getting sooooooo tired of hearing it lol oh and everyone at work that had to hear the pharse " Hes so cute tho " Like a million times today. Ugh some people just do not understand haha

Lol I totally understand, they are adorable <3 I would try getting some worms, it's a quick way to a cham's heart. Especially something like silkworms or even the holy grail for MOST chams... the hornworms of amazingness. XD

ChameleonsTheCoolest, I tend to raise the lamp a couple inches to three. Just enough so it won't touch the screen but not too much so that it will alter the temps too bad.

Screen climbing is pretty normal when they are babies, they tend to explore and test limits as babies. But as they get to be adults, they tend to relax and calm down more. They also realize Screen climbing is not as easy as it was when they were babies XD

When I posted a picture yesterday of him climbing the sceen people seemed to be concerned but I am not sure how I could stop him from doing it. I am glad to hear that this is common while I understand its not encouraged. I have phoenix and silk worms coming. Where would I find horned worms that are safe?

Hornworms can be found on a lot of different sites, my favorite is Great Lakes Hornworm... I would buy the eggs and I usually buy the smallest amount they offer, they are easy to hatch and usually all of them survive to adult hood, losing a few along the way is no issue because usually a few extra end up getting too big to feed off correctly. Hornworms grow really really fast so I usually keep them in a cooler room and sometimes stick them in the fridge for a day to slow growth. Always buy the hornworm food, they can be gutloaded with all sorts of veggies but need either tomato leaves or the prepared chow to survive and tomato leaves make them poisonous to anything that eats them so prepared chow is definitely the way to go XD. I have only heard of a few chams who have turned down hornworms. I recommend only feeding two a day at the most, otherwise it can cause runny stool because they are mostly water. Great way to make sure your baby stays hydrated though.

here's the link:

http://www.greatlakeshornworm.com/

Back
Top Bottom