New and seeking advice

Glock34girl

Hello:

Please feel free to move this thread if needed. I am considering adding a pair of chams to the family of mantids, darts and arachnids lol. I have been hearing rather horrible stories of certain species of Cham. I am wondering if you all could help me in selecting a species that would be a good species to start with. I love the colors of panthers but I appreciate the hardiness of veileds. With that said, I have heard that veileds can be quite nasty but is this dependent on how the Cham is reared? Are there other "begining" species to look at? I am looking for your experiences with different species etc. thanks in advanced guys!

Each chameleon's personality is different. You can go by trends but there are always exceptions. Panther's can generally be easy going but I also had one that would actually bite. It is true that veils are hardy but panthers are not far behind either.

Welcome to the forums. Chameleons are very rewarding pets. I keep veiled and panthers and both are very sweet. If you treat an animal with love and respect and don't keep it caged all the time in a room where it can't see you then you shouldn't have any problems. My veileds have the most personality and can be quite colorful but if it's the reds you are looking for go with a panther. I have a blog for new keepers that will tell you how I keep veileds and panthers successfully. It has links to show you what all you need and where you can buy it. Most Cham supplies can not be found in your local pet store and have to be ordered online.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/blo...-keepers-young-veiled-panther-chameleons.html

More great info: https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/chameleons/

Welcome to the forums! I noticed you said a "pair" of chams. As a general rule they should be housed separately or you will have one animal likely stressed out all the time. As for what type of chameleon to get, as long as you do some great research and get the right enclosure and supplies, you can have good success with many types of chams. Some can be more challenging than others and would not be the ideal first choice, but if you get your animal from a reputable breeder you should have a better chance of success.

I'd suggest if you're getting a "pair", then you need two different enclosures. From what I hear, they don't do well together and will constantly be stressed, which isn't good for any animal. If this is your first cham, I suggest getting one so you learn how to take care of them, what the require, how much time and effort just one requires, and things like that.

I've only had a veiled, and I hear they're the less social ones so if you're looking for a more playful one, I _think_ Panther is the way to go, but I could be wrong. Also, I know this is a cham forum, but if you want a social reptile, I hear bearded dragons are pretty social.

I really ned help I have a new five month old cham. it is a girl but she bqrely opens her eyes especially the one. I have found tht at the pet store she was not being fed enouph either. yer one eye she dosent open she often rubs against stuff squishing it she has been doing it for days. just today I intoduced the feeding cup method hope it helps her feeding but her eye concerns me. what should I do

I really ned help I have a new five month old cham. it is a girl but she bqrely opens her eyes especially the one. I have found tht at the pet store she was not being fed enouph either. yer one eye she dosent open she often rubs against stuff squishing it she has been doing it for days. just today I intoduced the feeding cup method hope it helps her feeding but her eye concerns me. what should I do

So you get the attention of the forum community, fill out the "How to ask for help" form in a new thread in the health forum. That will give you the best way for quick answers. ;)

I live in an apartment and I own a 1 year old Male Veiled and he is the sweetest guy ever :) His enclosure is in my living room and he will watch us daily and since my couch is on the side of his enclosure he will actually crawl down and stay near me. His personality is really awesome. he is my first chameleon so when I hear people say veiled's can be aggressive I just can't believe it, not with my Randall he is the opposite from aggressive. I lucked out with him really.

Wow! Thank you for your replies! Yes, I did me took a pair lol good catch! Thank you for letting me know a out seperate enclosures. The easy stressing of the Cham is always what has made me stay away but they are so friggin cute that you just gotta have one. Lol how often do you guys hold your chams? Social isn't super important as sometimes my life gets stupid hectic and with sugar gliders and such that absolutley need that bonding Iam not sure i could hold chams everyday but a few times a week is sort of what Iam looking for. I have had a bearded before and he was the most nasty tempered little dude! Lol go figure.
So, in your opinions, what makes a good breeder? What should I be looking for and asking? And thank you for the blog link! I sure do appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom