New Ambilobe Panther owner looking for right setup

Awesome sounds good and I won’t eat him 😂 he was shipped today so I’ll have him tm along with the new cage so hopefully I have him in the new one by Saturday/Sunday
That’s how I explain the chams to my kids. Look….they have no idea what you are or if you’re going to eat them so they assume the worst

Yep I would say I burned at least $500. At least I can use some of the stuff I bought but glad I learned the right way. And he’s now being delivered Friday supposedly which is same day as my larger cage. I’m hoping he even delays longer tbh. I have some things like the dragon clips coming in about 5 days would love to have them before building the new cage. But I won’t keep him in an inadequate enclosure to save me some time and stress lol
Could you contact the breeder and have him delay the delivery to next week? That would give you time to get everything set up and running correctly before he arrives. Its really hard and stressful to do it while you have the animal in your care. (speaking from experience on both ends)

Could you contact the breeder and have him delay the delivery to next week? That would give you time to get everything set up and running correctly before he arrives. Its really hard and stressful to do it while you have the animal in your care. (speaking from experience on both ends)
I wish I could but he already shipped. The new cage will be here tomorrow along with him and all the other stuff I ordered (mostly). The smaller cage I have now is adequate enough for him until I build the new cage I don’t see it being more than a day or two in the smaller one.

Couple things… I’d encourage you to research CB Reptiles as a breeder. You can look them up on these forums and see that some people have had very very poor experiences buying from them. Who you buy from is VERY important. https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/cb-reptile.189750/

And not to add to the resources but this shopping list is condensed and easy to navigate to help you find what you need (including live plants) You’re off to a great start! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sAESGOC5N8sU1Sv6d4ln5UELk35ycCeNL9vy-EcxNoY/edit?usp=sharing
This shopping list is amazing. Aside from the products on there, I am really speaking about the plant list. Not only do you provide a list of plants that are safe for our chameleons, but you even include where in the enclosure they're likely to do well in. This is excellent information. There is a lot of info out there that is kinda vague and lacks that sort of detail. And it's good to know this stuff so that people can plan accordingly and not have to basically do experiments on their own that have already been done. Thank you for this.

Just got him! He’s not as small as I expected. He was really shy to get out of the container he was in but eventually did he’s only been in here for about 2min so far. He’s pretty brown I guess stressed after that trip from FL. Gonna let him settle then try feeding him in a few hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1723.jpeg
    IMG_1723.jpeg
    230.4 KB · Views: 34
Just got him! He’s not as small as I expected. He was really shy to get out of the container he was in but eventually did he’s only been in here for about 2min so far. He’s pretty brown I guess stressed after that trip from FL. Gonna let him settle then try feeding him in a few hours.

Attachments

• IMG_1724.jpeg
    IMG_1724.jpeg
    188.6 KB · Views: 45
This shopping list is amazing. Aside from the products on there, I am really speaking about the plant list. Not only do you provide a list of plants that are safe for our chameleons, but you even include where in the enclosure they're likely to do well in. This is excellent information. There is a lot of info out there that is kinda vague and lacks that sort of detail. And it's good to know this stuff so that people can plan accordingly and not have to basically do experiments on their own that have already been done. Thank you for this.
You are so welcome!! I remember what it was like when I was first getting started and figuring out what plants to use and where to put them in the enclosure was definitely a learning process 😅

CONGRATS!! Totally normal for him to be super dark and not eat for a few days! It'll be hard, but try your best to leave him alone. When they're new, I always stare at them while their sleeping (which sounds creepier than I intended it to be lol).

You are so welcome!! I remember what it was like when I was first getting started and figuring out what plants to use and where to put them in the enclosure was definitely a learning process 😅

CONGRATS!! Totally normal for him to be super dark and not eat for a few days! It'll be hard, but try your best to leave him alone. When they're new, I always stare at them while their sleeping (which sounds creepier than I intended it to be lol).
It really is. Granted... I went all pothos and palms for my chameleons enclosure lol but I am definitely interested in adding some other things in the future.

Haha yeah he’s been lightening up and ate a few crickets took some water in already now just basking

Attachments

• IMG_1729.jpeg
    IMG_1729.jpeg
    171.1 KB · Views: 32
Was wondering if you guys use a certain website to order your feeders from. And I’d assume a lot also keep a bunch of crickets in a tank and assorted bugs for his diet. Any recommendation/? My local small business pet store has crickets but said they’re not gut loaded and their roaches in a plastic tub I checked out most were dead. Only other option is Petco which is prob same. Figured you guys have a go to for some food for our little guys!

Was wondering if you guys use a certain website to order your feeders from. And I’d assume a lot also keep a bunch of crickets in a tank and assorted bugs for his diet. Any recommendation/? My local small business pet store has crickets but said they’re not gut loaded and their roaches in a plastic tub I checked out most were dead. Only other option is Petco which is prob same. Figured you guys have a go to for some food for our little guys!
I buy 51 crickets every few days from my local big box pet store. Any # over 50 gets an extra discount so…51. They’re gut loaded with Repashy Bug Burger or Cricket Crack at least 24 hours before feeding my chameleon. Way easier than buying 1,000 in bulk and keeping them in a rubber maid container. Crickets create a lot of feces and odor. Dubia roaches and super worms are way cleaner and don’t die off like crickets. I also buy a horn worm once a week to supplement hydration.

I buy 51 crickets every few days from my local big box pet store. Any # over 50 gets an extra discount so…51. They’re gut loaded with Repashy Bug Burger or Cricket Crack at least 24 hours before feeding my chameleon. Way easier than buying 1,000 in bulk and keeping them in a rubber maid container. Crickets create a lot of feces and odor. Dubia roaches and super worms are way cleaner and don’t die off like crickets. I also buy a horn worm once a week to supplement hydration.
Nice. Yeah I bought 50 but what do you use to gut load them? I’m sure there’s a site that can auto ship so I don’t ever run out as well.

Nice. Yeah I bought 50 but what do you use to gut load them? I’m sure there’s a site that can auto ship so I don’t ever run out as well.
Repashy Bug Burger works great for me because it can be mixed with hot water and that activates the gelatin. You’re feeding and hydrating the crickets. They sell it at Petco and Petsmart. Cricket Crack can be purchased on Amazon. It’s a powder so you will need to provide hydration via gelatin or fresh produce.

Repashy Bug Burger works great for me because it can be mixed with hot water and that activates the gelatin. You’re feeding and hydrating the crickets. They sell it at Petco and Petsmart. Cricket Crack can be purchased on Amazon. It’s a powder so you will need to provide hydration via gelatin or fresh produce.
Thanks!

I order as much as I can from Josh's frogs. Sometimes I'm short in crickets and can't wait for a shipment so I'll stop and get some crickets from petsmart just for a day or two.

But bsfl last longer as I'm putting in 12, not 24 each day. And I reuse those when they don't get dirty since they just sit in a cup all day. I'll put them back in with the rest in their dish. Sometimes he poops in their feeder bowl lol so if he does I just put those ones in plant pots in the enclosure to let them pupate.

Silks I get from Frams, coastalsilks, etc. Most of the other places I use are sponsors for the forums and /or recommended by people on here.

Just keep in mind some people will give you advice to order in bulk online but if you have just one chameleon, ordering in bulk may not make much sense. My pet store is about 3 blocks away so I get them fairly easily. It all depends on your needs and location.

Just keep in mind some people will give you advice to order in bulk online but if you have just one chameleon, ordering in bulk may not make much sense. My pet store is about 3 blocks away so I get them fairly easily. It all depends on your needs and location.

Yeah its not easy. I bought a bunch of silks and crickets and now I'm taking care of them as much as my chameleon lol but I make it work. Bsfl are so easy since you'd don't have to do anything

I order from dubiaroaches.com they have an auto delivery option as well. I only have one Cham so I order about once a month. They are reasonable priced, fast delivery and I usually even get more than I order (especially with hornworms) They don’t have silks (they are listed but never in stock) but they do have variety packs. I know there are also a few other forum sponsors you can order from as well. This site was recommended to me from someone here and I’ve never ordered from anyone else since.

I order as much as I can from Josh's frogs. Sometimes I'm short in crickets and can't wait for a shipment so I'll stop and get some crickets from petsmart just for a day or two.

But bsfl last longer as I'm putting in 12, not 24 each day. And I reuse those when they don't get dirty since they just sit in a cup all day. I'll put them back in with the rest in their dish. Sometimes he poops in their feeder bowl lol so if he does I just put those ones in plant pots in the enclosure to let them pupate.

Silks I get from Frams, coastalsilks, etc. Most of the other places I use are sponsors for the forums and /or recommended by people on here.
Great thank you! I tried putting crickets in this feeder bowl that they supposedly can’t climb out of. (Has a mesh cylinder coming from the middle up to a chain with like a cap on top so they can’t climb around it) well they just hopped out onto the screens and hid lol he did walk around and pick some off though. Once I have the bigger cage done I can hang that from around the middle so they’re not close to screen.

But mainly was asking as they’re juveniles eating just crickets you guys just dump in cage and let them hunt for them? Don’t see much another option. Was thinking today a deep cup maybe I put ‘em in maybe will keep them a bit better and zip tie to a branch or something.

Back
Top Bottom