New “rescued” panthers chameleon pair

Scott2142

Hi everyone, I just rescued two panther chameleons from a local petco from their kitchen sink size cube enclosure.
Been seeing them there for a while, and according to their employees there, these 2 were from Cali Zoo(don’t know where that is) since they were really small, and they are about half year old now. They claim them as a pair but I’m not very sure about that, can you guys give me some advice on sexing them? Also what type of panther chameleon are they?Thanks

Attachments

• AA965863-83EC-4B55-B4FF-EDBF58A3ADC4.jpeg
    AA965863-83EC-4B55-B4FF-EDBF58A3ADC4.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 98F406CC-B32E-40ED-9B59-A853B300B70E.jpeg
    98F406CC-B32E-40ED-9B59-A853B300B70E.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 151
based off of coloring, they look both female to me, however to be 100% sure we could need pictures of the base of the tail. The most common locales of panther in the pet trade are ambilobe and ambanja and since you got them from a petco, they are most likely one of those. If I had to guess I would day ambilobe purely because I know that's what they usually supply.

Good for you for rescuing them. Those are females. They look like ambilobe. They should not be housed together. Chameleons are solitary animals. The only time anyone should put chameleons together is when pairing up males and females to breed. Check out lay bin set up and female care for those.
They look like pretty girls. Good luck with them.

personal opinion:
Unfortunately when you "rescue" from a pet store it just adds to their numbers so they'll just replace the animal and continue getting more. Not saying you didn't necessarily do the right thing in getting them but I think the reptile community needs to stay away from pet store purchases to discourage them from keeping any in such awful conditions.

Good for you for rescuing them. Those are females. They look like ambilobe. They should not be housed together. Chameleons are solitary animals. The only time anyone should put chameleons together is when pairing up males and females to breed. Check out lay bin set up and female care for those.
They look like pretty girls. Good luck with them.
Hi Mike

Thank you for the reply, these 2 girls are in separate 4ft enclosures now don’t worry.

personal opinion:
Unfortunately when you "rescue" from a pet store it just adds to their numbers so they'll just replace the animal and continue getting more. Not saying you didn't necessarily do the right thing in getting them but I think the reptile community needs to stay away from pet store purchases to discourage them from keeping any in such awful conditions.

Hi

Yes I understand your concern, this was actually one of my concerns to them too. But these 2 girls will very soon grow out of the size that a 1ft cube tank may contain, rescuing them now is the best choice before they start developing any conflicts or stressing to each other. I happened to have 2 spare cages now and I just don’t know what else I can do apart from buying them

Hi

Yes I understand your concern, this was actually one of my concerns to them too. But these 2 girls will very soon grow out of the size that a 1ft cube tank may contain, rescuing them now is the best choice before they start developing any conflicts or stressing to each other. I happened to have 2 spare cages now and I just don’t know what else I can do apart from buying them
I understand completely why you purchased them and it's great that you actually had two open cages for their use! We have a PetSmart locally and I cannot go there anymore because of how they keep their chameleon. I have reached out to the store owner who basically said "that's how it is and it isn't changing" as well as their corporate office many times. The first time a very young chameleon looked close to death one day as their store was closing. The next morning I was going to purchase him at open and someone "bought" him in the probably 1/2 hour that they were open. I hope their story is true but I don't believe it to be as he had no access to water aside from a dish. I have a hard time resisting the urge to save them and if I didn't stop going to PetSmart I'd probably have a house full of chameleons with health problems from their past mistreatment.

Beautiful ladies! You received some good feedback already! I just wanted to add that the female in the picture on the right seems to have metabolic bone disease and is more than likely in early kidney and/or liver failure. See the loose/puffy skin around her neck and how her front leg isn't nice and straight. Those are the signs. Best of luck! Keep them lay bins ready!

Hi everyone, I just rescued two panther chameleons from a local petco from their kitchen sink size cube enclosure.
Been seeing them there for a while, and according to their employees there, these 2 were from Cali Zoo(don’t know where that is) since they were really small, and they are about half year old now. They claim them as a pair but I’m not very sure about that, can you guys give me some advice on sexing them? Also what type of panther chameleon are they?Thanks
Beautiful ladies! You received some good feedback already! I just wanted to add that the female in the picture on the right seems to have metabolic bone disease and is more than likely in early kidney and/or liver failure. See the loose/puffy skin around her neck and how her front leg isn't nice and straight. Those are the signs. Best of luck! Keep them lay bins ready!
I’m newer to this forum & saw this post. I also rescued a gravid girl from Petco on New Years Eve. She is near the pink color of yours. They said they had her with a male for almost 60 days then alone for 30 days. I have 7 other chameleons & never bought from a pet store before. I’m wondering if they came from the same place?
I attached a pic but was trying not to scare her. I’m hoping to give her privacy if she needs to lay her eggs. I’m keeping optimistic that her health hasn’t suffered too much.

Attachments

• 66B28036-D3B6-442F-ABE0-876253B1E569.jpeg
    66B28036-D3B6-442F-ABE0-876253B1E569.jpeg
    370.9 KB · Views: 90
She is quite chubby though she does not have the typical gravid look (it is not far fetched that she might be gravid). She does not look bad for her history! Best of luck!

She is quite chubby though she does not have the typical gravid look (it is not far fetched that she might be gravid). She does not look bad for her history! Best of luck!
Perhaps she is just chubby - wouldn’t surprise me. She’s a lot fatter than the pic shows.
What would be an additional sign she is gravid? Its been at least 10 years since I’ve actually tried to breed & this was unplanned. I’m reading & following through on all preparations just in case.

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the swelling around her neck... Hopefully with proper care her symptoms will dissipate

Glad I'm not the only one who noticed the swelling around her neck... Hopefully with proper care her symptoms will dissipate

Hi guys

Thank you both for the replys, I noticed that swelling too and I was trying to address the problem myself, thankfully you guys helped me do that. So they both now are eating and drinking ok, and I haven't find any major problems so far. I'm offering them Electrolysed water and well cal/vitamin dusted food these days for a quick catch up of nutrition. Is there any specific treatment I should give? Dose she need to take liquefied calcium?

Thanks!

Oh ok I think I should do the opposite of offering more nutrition. I read that this is caused be offering too much vitamins (A), I think I need to cut her food amount down and water her more see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom