Never seen my chameleon drinking?

lizcrespo93

I've had my chameleon since June and I have never seen him drinking? I mist 2x daily for 2 minutes and he has a dripper on for 3 hours a day, more or less. His urates are white enough but I still worry? I'm curious if it's normal to never see the cham drinking? Or am I not being observant enough?

Many on the forum have shy drinkers too. His urates are white so that’s a good sign. It sounds like you are providing ample drinking opportunity. Mine rarely drinks in front of me - I maybe catch a glimpse every couple weeks. It’s pretty cute.

Would you mind posting a pic of him?

I have the same experience here.
Waldo is a "closet drinker" ? (I've had him since February). I try to check before I go in "his room" to make sure he isn't drinking because if he sees me, he looks like he just got caught with his hand in the cookie jar and quickly stops.

Lately every time I see him, his head has standing water on it, so I know he's been sitting under his dripper which is great! They're very funny little creatures ?

Ousts cham= seen drink 4 times in its life
Beardy = shoves whole head under water for 3-5 min
Frilly = frills at dropper till drop comes out, then its game on
Tegu = never seen him drink ever in 2.5 years, yet see constant internet pics of them drinking out of dog and car bowels, feels bad...

Ousts cham= seen drink 4 times in its life
Beardy = shoves whole head under water for 3-5 min
Frilly = frills at dropper till drop comes out, then its game on
Tegu = never seen him drink ever in 2.5 years, yet see constant internet pics of them drinking out of dog and car bowels, feels bad...
Never seen by beardie drink—ever—but he excretes so much water when he ?s, it's never concerned me.

I agree, watching excretions & for signs of (de)hydration are probably the best ways to monitor any of them. Nature has imbued them with the instincts for survival. ;)

Many on the forum have shy drinkers too. His urates are white so that’s a good sign. It sounds like you are providing ample drinking opportunity. Mine rarely drinks in front of me - I maybe catch a glimpse every couple weeks. It’s pretty cute.

If urates ate white the chameleon isnoverhydrated for sure
This tule does NOT work
The physiologixal urayes should have an orange crustalline portin between 12-50% to be healthy

Attachments

• 19C294FF-328E-4231-9B49-9F51190F17DA.jpeg
    19C294FF-328E-4231-9B49-9F51190F17DA.jpeg
    127.4 KB · Views: 77
  • 8D842636-AACE-4355-8C74-B0A5BBAB8C23.jpeg
    8D842636-AACE-4355-8C74-B0A5BBAB8C23.jpeg
    173.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 0DE48750-99D4-4ACB-AECE-29E92C98E72C.jpeg
    0DE48750-99D4-4ACB-AECE-29E92C98E72C.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 81
If urates ate white the chameleon isnoverhydrated for sure
This tule does NOT work
The physiologixal urayes should have an orange crustalline portin between 12-50% to be healthy

How does a cham get over hydrated? Obvious answer is by drinking too much water but if this really is a problem, what is the remedy?

Ours, apparently is a freak of nature!! Lol!! When we put him on his umbrella tree, he will literally drink while still on our finger before he will even attempt to climb off of us to his plant. It’s super cute. The breeder was surprised he would eat in front in front of us/drink while on our finger at such a young age. They said he was 3 months but we believe he was younger. He’s a weirdo!!!

How does a cham get over hydrated? Obvious answer is by drinking too much water but if this really is a problem, what is the remedy?

remedy is none
When it happens he nees tk lose water slowly

the profulaxis is to provide night fogging and limit the drinking atdaytime to up to zero

I've had my chameleon since June and I have never seen him drinking? I mist 2x daily for 2 minutes and he has a dripper on for 3 hours a day, more or less. His urates are white enough but I still worry? I'm curious if it's normal to never see the cham drinking? Or am I not being observant enough?
I have had my veiled for 10 months and very rarely see him drink. I have a 4 month old female who drinks infront of me. Just pay attention to the urates and the eyes. But as so stated the urates are white so you probably just have a shy drinker

Back
Top Bottom